PDA

View Full Version : Weight Bars and Grease

whitescrew77
11-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Hi, I just bought a new to me 2010 Keystone Bullet 294 BHS. It came with a Husky brand weight distribution hitch that has the rods with it for the spring bars. The ends need to be greased, but I was wondering what does everyone do to keep grease off of everything else when not using the bars for towing? For example set up in camp, I would put the rods and the hitch in the front compartment of the trailer, but I do not want grease all over the place. I was thinking of wrapping the ends in a plastic grocery sack and then throwing it away. Anyone else have a better idea? Thanks. :confused:

cabinfever
11-03-2014, 10:25 AM
I have seen some who mount PVC on the frame and then slide the bars into them when not in use. Keeps them off the ground and out of the way.

WaltBennett
11-03-2014, 11:38 AM
I just used spray on dry lube on mine, when I had a TT and used equalizers. Gave the ends a squirt before sticking them into the socket and just left them laying across the trailer tongue when not towing.

whitescrew77
11-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Ok. Thanks for the ideas. I just thought there had to be something better than grease all over the place! I like the dry lube idea. Easy to do

GaryWT
11-03-2014, 12:46 PM
My hitch generally stays on the truck and the bars are left laying on the frame between the battery and the propane. I do not use grease on either but they still get dirty. .

outwest
11-03-2014, 02:57 PM
When I remove them, I put plastic grocery bags over the greased ends. I usually leave them on, though and hitch up by backing onto the square tongue (stinger) instead of using the ball hitch. Gotta be pretty much spot on (left/right and up/down) to do it, though.

Ken / Claudia
11-03-2014, 08:01 PM
I used some extra wood I had and made a box about 7''x7''x3 ' with the end open. I leave that in the cargo compartment and store the WD bars, anti sway, clips and tube of grease in it so none of that greasy dirty stuff gets on anything else. It was at no cost to me and works great.

MISailor
11-04-2014, 06:44 AM
I posted my solution to this problem previously here:
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8464

12 er
11-04-2014, 07:28 AM
We usually just put the greased end into a Walmart bag. We also do the same with the hitch when we take it off. This keeps the greases in check.

austinp
11-04-2014, 08:23 PM
We put ours in a plastic storage container with everything else that has grease on it. Keep it in the front storage compartment, works great, no mess.

dtas
11-04-2014, 08:45 PM
I copied this from someone else. Works great :D

Shadowcats
11-14-2014, 06:44 AM
For several years we've just placed them over the batteries - the boxes are just high enough to keep them out of the way. I also clean them about every other trip too. Also grease the ball and have a rubber cover for that, but alas have at times stepped into it before the cover was on. :banghead:

Murphsmom
11-14-2014, 08:11 AM
We use a pair of old sweat socks. They slip over the end of the bar with the heel at the bend. They are "free" and we just replace them periodically.

TLB
03-17-2015, 12:46 PM
I too use plastic bags.

GMcKenzie
03-18-2015, 12:12 PM
I have a ritual for the ball that involves a can of Alphaghetti on the first trip out then using the tin can for the rest of the season. I don't know why but ball hitch covers seemed to have walked on me over the years so this is my solution.

The bars I just lay on the battery box.