PDA

View Full Version : Awning mod/replacement?

Lmdgr34
10-27-2014, 06:04 AM
I have a 2009 290bh and I can't stand the way the door hits the awning. I see it is bolted to the skirting but haven't gotten up to check how it is attached to the roof. Can one just purchase a longer awning and have it professionally installed? Thanks for any light you could shed on this.

Walt

Steve S
10-27-2014, 06:36 AM
Do you have a pic?

rkeiser
10-27-2014, 06:53 AM
Is it an electric or manual operation awning. If I understand correctly your issue is when you open the door it hits the awning arm?

chuckster57
10-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Awnings come in different lengths, so yes you could buy a longer one. Problem is the length of sidewall for the arms. The arms are screwed into the side at the top and either screwed or riveted at the middle and bottom. Your going to have to figure out a way to seal the holes.

Does the door have a strut? If not installing one would stop door/awning contact.

outwest
10-27-2014, 08:45 AM
What family's old Avion had for that was a small roller that was mounted to the top, left corner of the door. (google RV awning door roller). Be sure to use some butyl putty tape to prevent moisture from going in the screw holes.

Lmdgr34
10-27-2014, 09:56 AM
It is a manual awning. I could put a strut it does come with a device that holds it but no more than being open 90 degrees.

http://i60.tinypic.com/osyjvm.jpg

I've sent a message to goingnorth because he has the exact model I have and appears to have completed what I had questioned. I am curious to see if anyone else has done the same.

http://i59.tinypic.com/9sf720.jpg

GaryWT
10-27-2014, 04:44 PM
I am sure your dealer will do something and seal the holes. It will come down to where the roof starts to curve and where windows and things are.

eds451
10-27-2014, 06:54 PM
If the picture you posted shows how you "normally" raise the awning, I do not see the door hitting/rubbing the awning. If you put more of a down angle on the awning, yes the door would rub. CW stocks door rollers for less than $5.
When I put out the awning and sees it hits the door, I raise the awning a bit until it does not.
But I think I may go down to CW and spend that $5 on a roller, just to make my wallet happy.

JRTJH
10-27-2014, 07:02 PM
If the picture you posted shows how you "normally" raise the awning, I do not see the door hitting/rubbing the awning. If you put more of a down angle on the awning, yes the door would rub. CW stocks door rollers for less than $5.
When I put out the awning and sees it hits the door, I raise the awning a bit until it does not.
But I think I may go down to CW and spend that $5 on a roller, just to make my wallet happy.

It's my understanding that the door is not hitting the awning fabric when opening the door, rather the problem is that the door will not open fully, but only about 90* and then it hits the awning side rail. The concern is not with wear of the fabric, but rather the inability to secure the door so the wind doesn't blow it closed and the awning side rail won't allow it to be opened fully.

If I'm wrong, OP, please re-explain your issue.
Thanks

vetorio
10-28-2014, 05:58 AM
My cougar 28 RBS has the same set up. It came with a spring loaded strut attached to the bottom of the door that would push it open to 90° and stop and keep it at that position.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk

dtas
11-02-2014, 01:22 PM
I think this is what the OP is talking about. I have the same problem.
When the door is open and the awning is out the door hits the awning arm.
We are thinking of buying a new awning tube with fabric 2' longer. Then remounting the arm 2' further foward on the trailer. There seems to be a lot of things going on in the photo. Ignore the black post to the left of door. That's part of a 4 post lift. Notice how the arm of the awning hit the door and prevents the door from completely opening.