PDA

View Full Version : Need to help my son with slide out

lifecamper
10-24-2014, 10:38 AM
My son has and older 5th wheel 1996 I believe. The slide is controlled by a hydraulic ram. It is stuck, thankfully in the in position and won't go out. It is a small 8 or 10 ft slide. My suggestion to him was to remove both lines to the ram and see if the slide can be pulled out by hand. I have seen a number of RV's with this small slide that are operated manually. I believe that the proportioning valve or the ram itself is stuck. Open to other suggestions. Any help appreciated.

chuckster57
10-24-2014, 11:35 AM
A little more information would help. Did he check to see that voltage is reaching the pump? is there a reservoir that can be checked for fluid level? Did he operate the switch and no noise? the pump runs and no movement?

The more information we can get, the better answer we can give.

lifecamper
10-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Reservoir is full. voltage to pump. pump runs. switch works. slide moved in with the pump/switch/ram and now won't move out. I am thinking the directional control is stuck in the in position or the ram is stuck. could not move the slide even with assist from a come-a-long. Sorry I forgot to mention. I believe by removing the lines from the ram (easy to get to) they should be able to pull the slide out manually. If not than the problem lies in the ram itself.

chuckster57
10-24-2014, 06:14 PM
I would loosen the lines and then operate the pump for just long enough to verify fluid flow. That will help narrow the potential failure point.