PDA

View Full Version : Summerland Axle

jamesmc321
10-24-2014, 06:10 AM
Morning All - new to the forum, well actually new to the trailer too "bouncey: just purchased a Summeland 2800bhgs (replaced the pop-up).

Question I have is, my old camper had the "ez-lube" axles and it was pretty easy to repack yearly...this new camper, I cannot find / figure out how to get at the axles to lube them :eek:

Do you have to remove the tire, take off the center cap, etc... to get at the fitting?

Thanks in advance!

James

JRTJH
10-24-2014, 07:17 AM
on the chrome (or black) hub cover, there should be a disc in the center. Pry that off, you'll find the "typical" rubber hub plug, remove that and the zerk fitting is inside. Don't forget, use a hand held grease gun (not power gun) and rotate the wheel as you inject the lube.

Bluewater
10-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Don't forget that every other year to remove and repack the bearings also.
The zert will not accomplish this.

chuckster57
10-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Don't forget that every other year to remove and repack the bearings also.
The zerk will not accomplish this.

Depending on use, you may want to do it yearly. I personally don't like the Zerk fittings because it allows for too much grease, and it ends up pushing past the seal causing havoc with the brake shoes, drum and magnet. See it often in the shop.....JMHO.

BTW jamesmc321: Welcome to the forum

jamesmc321
10-24-2014, 08:51 AM
AWESOME!!

thank you all for your answers. I did noticed that but was afraid to touch it :D

and ya, can barely wait to jack that thing up to pull and re-pack them...time for a new jack too now

Thanks Chuckster, looking forward to learning alot about TT life from PUP