PDA

View Full Version : 450-hour generator scheduled maintenance

SJBrooks
10-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Looking at the scheduled maintenance list for my Onan 5500, I see that "clean or replace cylinder heads" will be due at 450 hours. What has anybody done as regards cleaning the heads without removing them? What issues, if any, has anybody had with this model while going past that point while not accomplishing the maintenance?

Thanks,

Steve

paoutlaw
10-21-2014, 08:34 AM
please post a picture of this in the manual.
I just looked in mine and I don't see it.
Never heard if replace head at 450 hours either.
With as many are out their. I am sure I would have heard a lot of complaining about head replacement at 450 hours.

SJBrooks
10-21-2014, 01:03 PM
please post a picture of this in the manual.

Sorry, but I don't know how to post pictures. The sched maint table is on pg 15 of my operator manual, which on the cover is shown to be "983-0101 (Issue 3)"

Steve

KenBob
10-22-2014, 03:36 AM
Depending on how severe the conditions were/are while using the gen, and how well you maintained it, (sounds like you adhere to the schedule) doing head service is up to you

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" would be my motto. You can "clean" the heads/combustion chambers by decarbonizing. If you have never replaced the spark plugs, it would be a good idea to inspect/replace them and do a compression check to check the health of the engine. If you have had no problems or loss of efficiency with the gen, then do plugs, filters, clean fins, check and adjust valves and go for another 450 hours. JMHO.