PDA

View Full Version : Need New Thermostat

sjturbo
10-17-2014, 08:12 AM
I need to replace my Coleman "Mach" thermostat but I'm not sure which one to get. It is a combination heat/ac. I would like to upgrade to digital but would like to keep my option of fan high/low. Has any one replaced this unit and if so with what and is the wiring different?

TAZ23
10-17-2014, 01:29 PM
I switched the thermostat on our Outback to a digital one, It was also a Coleman. I called our dealer and had him find the right one for our unit. I figured seeing there are so many options in the catalog he could figure out which one we needed faster than I could. The wiring was all the same so we had all our functions with the new thermostat. The new one was the Coleman digital version.

pjhansman
10-17-2014, 01:34 PM
I took the easy way out and simply upgraded to the Coleman Mach digital thermostat.

Certainly not the cheapest option but identical wiring, keeps the fan high/low selection, and keeps the temperature pretty much with 1/2 degree of the setting.

Phil

Richard6959
10-17-2014, 05:52 PM
I may have a thermostat problem on our 2014 Laredo TT. It gets frigid cold before the thermostat shuts down the A/C. THen it gets stuffy hot sometimes before it will come back on. We are constantly bumping the temperature selector one way or the other to get the A/C to respond. The temp range is easily 15-20 degrees sometimes.

Is this normal?

I think a digital thermostat may be more accurate. At least we will know exactly where we adjust it to.

therink
10-17-2014, 06:15 PM
I bought a $30 programmable digital thermostat from Lowes and it works excellent. There is only a one degree swing before it turns on the furnace or AC. No more cold/hot swings between cycles.
I only use Hi fan on the AC so don't care about losing the low fan option. Others have installed a separate toggle switch on the side of the thermostat to regain the low fan capability.

Festus2
10-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Previously, members have replaced their non-digital OEM thermostat with a Hunter programmable, digital model which was available at Walmart for around $25. If you do a forum search (type in "Hunter thermostat), you'll find out more information about this thermostat and what other members have done in previous years regarding replacing it.

Keep in mind that many of these threads are 2-3 years old and the models that are talked about in the threads may no longer be available.

outwest
10-17-2014, 10:42 PM
I may have a thermostat problem on our 2014 Laredo TT. It gets frigid cold before the thermostat shuts down the A/C. THen it gets stuffy hot sometimes before it will come back on. We are constantly bumping the temperature selector one way or the other to get the A/C to respond. The temp range is easily 15-20 degrees sometimes.

Is this normal?

I think a digital thermostat may be more accurate. At least we will know exactly where we adjust it to.
Sounds like the temperature swing / heat anticipator may be set too high. This article talks about it in reference to heat, but older, manual thermostats use the same principle for determining temp range when running the air conditioner.
http://homerepair.about.com/od/heatingcoolingrepair/ss/adj_anticipator.htm I've also seen where the mercury activated switch gets sticky (because of age, corrosion, and such), but since yours is a 2014, I doubt that's the problem.