PDA

View Full Version : Separating basement floor (my fault)

Yosemitebob
10-15-2014, 11:17 AM
I wanted to make sure it was known as my wrongful doing so no other blame. OK, so I noticed in the basement, the small recessed area right when you open the hatch that the carpet was stretching in the floor where it meets the short wall (refer to picture), knowing I had to fix it with some aluminum angle iron I cut away the carpet to the size of the angle I was using and sure enough the staples where all pulling out (no glue). What had happened was I had a perfect tool box that fit that area and it was about 24" long with yes, heavy enough tools for the trailer in case of any reason I needed them. Well over the last year, the weight and the bouncing of the trailer started working the floor section loose from the wall section. I learned my lesson, don't put heavy items on either side in this area. I fixed it by cutting a length of 2 x 2 x ⅛ angle and drilling and countersinking it for the screws to attach it alone the whole length of the separation. It snugged it up quite nicely as you can see. I will now just put the lighter items there, as things you can see in the picture. I did check the clearance for the screws behind with a flashlight and noted that the frame rail was there, so didn't worry about hitting a tank with the screws.

jsmith948
10-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up! Carry my Husky 3-drawer tool box in the same area. Something to check!

Yosemitebob
10-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Yep, I have the same one, now in the main part of the basement, well, if you carry tools like I do, not a good place to have them :D