PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Leak

Richard6959
10-13-2014, 12:10 AM
We have spent the last couple of days at the state park in New Orleans. Big mistake. They breed mosquito's here. We quickly learned to be inside and buttoned up for the evening before they get active in the evening. We spent that last two nights killing about 50 of them in our 36 ft TT. When I went to bed I was confident we were safe. I just awoke to the ever so annoying sound of a whining mosquito. I got up to look for him and found 7 on the ceiling.

Where are they all coming from? I must have a leak. The windows are closed, the vents are closed. I am thinking a seal around one of the slides is perhaps folded or not sealing well.

Any tricks to help this problem?

JRTJH
10-13-2014, 05:58 AM
We lived "just up the road from New Orleans" for 25+ years. I can't remember an evening we sat outside until the mosquitoes forced us inside that we didn't also have them follow us into the house. And, even if we didn't go outside, just letting the dog out, they would come back in on his coat.

You aren't going to avoid them completely in that part of the "camping world" no matter how hard you try. Just opening an RV door will create a "vacuum" that pulls the ones flying nearby into the camper.

As for your slide, it's easy to check, just go outside, look at the seals, they should be laying flat against the sides and top of the slide, not folded over or tucked back in. Feel along the inside fascia, you should feel the fascia in contact with the bulb seal that's mounted along the sides of the trailer wall.

Also, you might want to check for light penetration by having someone inside looking while you shine a bright flashlight against the slide seals. Do this at night, and don't forget your "bug spray" as no doubt several of your "enemies" will find you as you stand there, flashlight in hand.

hankpage
10-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Also, the screens on your trailer do not fit very well. Unless they are positioned just right there will be openings around the edges that the little suckers can get in. If your windows are open keeping lighting to a bare minimum may help but they also zero in on the CO2 you exhale and your body heat. I hate wearing insect repellent but, sometimes "A man has to do what a man has to do."
Gee! Even with all the modern conveniences we may still be really roughing it. :rolleyes:

austinp
10-13-2014, 05:20 PM
One other place to look is the vent for your stove. If left open they will fly in. I had that happen.

chuckster57
10-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Avon "Skin so soft" seems to work real well out here in the west.

I am NOT an Avon dealer or associated with one.

Richard6959
10-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. It was a miserable two days. All the windows and roof vents were closed except the bathroom when we were using the shower. I did notice alot of them on the screen in the bathroom trying to fight past the little fan. So that may have been the source of the leak.

We don't have an exhaust for the stove. :(

I used Skin so soft years ago, it does work, but I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for mentioning it. It smells much better than repelant no matter what kind of man you are. :D

We are now in Houston. (tx)

christopherglenn
10-21-2014, 12:49 PM
When we have issues at the house, A bug zapper makes for hours entertainment. I wonder if they are allowed in the parks...

bobbecky
10-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Sounds like bug zappers are needed inside and out:D