PDA

View Full Version : Blown Chinese bomb damage

CPE
10-12-2014, 06:16 PM
I had a blowout on 5000 miles Towmax tires; replaced tires on that side with Carlisle. floor foam/insulation in floor above was damaged; groove cut in but not through board above tire. Need to fill and re-waterproof groove (about 1 1/4") inch deep and re-waterproof. What to install or fill the opening with.(appears to be a foam material --white)

chuckster57
10-12-2014, 07:43 PM
You can use "great stuff" spray foam sealant. It expands, filling gaps/holes.

CPE
10-14-2014, 07:42 AM
THANKS!!! Appreciate all advice given here.

CWtheMan
10-14-2014, 08:58 AM
I had a blowout on 5000 miles Towmax tires; replaced tires on that side with Carlisle.

The new tires should go on the same axel.

CW

magoorv
10-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Had exactly same thing with Towmax on our Avalanche 5er. In addition to your damage, we had the fender on that side broken. I but plywood up in the fender well and stapled heavy weight black tarp material to that. We were recently going through all the papers we got with our purchase in 2011 and learned we had tire and wheel insurance coverage: Maybe we are the only one's who don't go through every page of the papers you get at purchase and make a master list of coverages, warranties, etc. but we will now.

RedOne
10-21-2014, 04:52 AM
The new tires should go on the same axel.

CW

OK, I'll ask...Why is that?

bobbecky
10-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. The previous discussions on this and other forums indicate a blown tire on one side causes an overload condition to the other tire on the same side which will dramatically shorten the life of the other tire, many times causing the other tire to blow. It's not like you have a vehicle with a differential type axle needing matched tires, and at only 5,000 miles, there shouldn't be much wear.

CWtheMan
10-21-2014, 02:26 PM
OK, I'll ask...Why is that?

It's a tire warranty thing. Here is a quote - in part - from a trailer tire warranty package.

"It is recommended that all four (4) tires on a trailer be replaced at the same time. However, when only two (2) tires are replaced, the new tires should be installed on the rear axle."

CW

PARAPTOR
10-21-2014, 05:11 PM
CPE Were these the original tires on your 2011 Montana? Do you recall what year they were manufactured?

Just down the road from you

cabinfever
10-21-2014, 05:45 PM
It's a tire warranty thing. Here is a quote - in part - from a trailer tire warranty package.

"It is recommended that all four (4) tires on a trailer be replaced at the same time. However, when only two (2) tires are replaced, the new tires should be installed on the rear axle."

CW

Also, the new tires are going to be a larger circumference. That would want to make the trailer not track strait with larger tires all on one side.

Bowti
10-23-2014, 04:28 AM
Also, the new tires are going to be a larger circumference. That would want to make the trailer not track strait with larger tires all on one side.

I'm thinking no way, a new tire on one side only will have absolutely no affect on tracking.
Also. I would do exactly as the OP did and replace both tires on the same side due to the additional stress put on the other tire, which was on the side of the blow out tire.

Desert185
10-23-2014, 06:03 AM
Because of the road crown, I would think new tires on the curb side. With airliners, if one tire pressure is below a certain limit, BOTH tires on that side (not axle) must be replaced. Makes sense to do that on a trailer, too, particularly if replacing with "china bombs".

I'm going with Maxxis LRE's before my next big trip unless something better comes along beforehand.

CWtheMan
10-23-2014, 07:53 AM
When two new tires are fitted onto any four wheel car, light truck, van or SUV, retailers SOPs only allow those tires to be installed on the rear axle.

Maybe that would also be a logical fitment for two axle RV trailers.

CW

Bowti
10-23-2014, 09:58 AM
When two new tires are fitted onto any four wheel car, light truck, van or SUV, retailers SOPs only allow those tires to be installed on the rear axle.

Maybe that would also be a logical fitment for two axle RV trailers.

CW

Sorry, I don't mean to argue, but our trailers don't have driven axles, so what applies to motorized vehicle axles does not apply to trailers axles.

The only reason I mentioned anything, was I would hate to see anyone spend more money that they need to with the price of tires these days. :)

JRTJH
10-23-2014, 10:31 AM
If you go to this link: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFcQFjAEOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carlisletransportationproduct s.com%2Fcms_files%2Foriginal%2FTrailer_Tires__Tips _Best_Practices.pdf&ei=yEdJVPuCN7PjsAS-94GIAg&usg=AFQjCNHUeugexVLn0nBahY8syrhWM7SBIQ&bvm=bv.77880786,d.cWc

You will find a PDF from Carlisle Tire Company. It is titled, Trailer Tires: Tips & Best Practices

On the first page, second column about 3/4 of the way down is this statement:
If a tire fails on a tandem axle trailer, replace both tires on that side.

There is a lot of good information in this PDF, even if you don't own Carlisle tires.

LarryL
10-27-2014, 08:17 AM
I had a blowout doing 55mph on 580 in ca, replaced all four.
RV is a 2011 less then 10,000,miles on tires but after
the blowout,going to start fresh.