PDA

View Full Version : Does LP get old?

Steve S
10-10-2014, 01:29 PM
As we all know gas and diesel can become stagnant but can propane?
I went to an auction and bought two full 100 pound tanks for $20.00 and I'm wondering if I should use them on the trailer or just keep them for the shop heaters.

geo
10-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Steve -

No, propane does not "get old" like diesel or gasoline. Propane is a hydrocarbon compound, unlike gasoline and diesel which are actually hydrocarbon compound mixtures. With time, different compounds of these mixtures evaporate, rendering the gasoline or diesel "old", or really, an improper mixture. (The "Octane Rating" of gasoline is the heat comparison (as a percentage) of the gasoline to the heat value of pure, linear octane (a straight 8 carbon chain with hydrogen). )

Now, what you might have is a mixture of propane and butane. Though not as common now as in decades past, warm weather brought a larger percentage of butane in LPG. The problem with that is when the weather turned cold, the little percentage of propane would "come out" and leave the liquid butane (the greater percentage) behind in the tank. The only way to get the butane to evaporate to gas was to warm the tank up!

But I suspect that you probably have "recent" LPG which is mainly propane. The butane has been sent on down the processing line and is probably now plastic! Might even be the plastic in your computer! :D

Ron

Javi
10-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Ahhhhh Nope..:D

Steve S
10-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the replies(tx) I was thinking that 2 filled tanks @ $100.00 each plus the tanks empty @ $80.00 each and me scoring them for $20.00 for both that something maybe wrong:eek::)

chuckster57
10-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the replies(tx) I was thinking that 2 filled tanks @ $100.00 each plus the tanks empty @ $80.00 each and me scoring them for $20.00 for both that something maybe wrong:eek::)

There is a lot wrong with that... send them to me for proper disposal :D

Steve S
10-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Yeah it was a good score, everyone there didn't seem to see the value when they came up for auction:cool: I guess they couldn't figure out if they had to put their BBQ up on bricks to connect it:D Free LP for the winter"bouncey:

hankpage
10-10-2014, 03:44 PM
The propane is good, but the valves might not be up to new codes and I think the tanks are dated also but not sure how long they are good for.(10 or 12 years) Even though you may not be able to get them refilled and may need to pay to dispose of the empty bottles, you still got a heck of a bargain on the LP.

BulletOwner1
10-10-2014, 03:54 PM
The propane is good, but the valves might not be up to new codes and I think the tanks are dated also but not sure how long they are good for.(10 or 12 years) Even though you may not be able to get them refilled and may need to pay to dispose of the empty bottles, you still got a heck of a bargain on the LP.

You can get old tanks re certified, unless of course they don't have the OPD, overfill protection device. Go to a propane dealer. Cost is nominal, 5 or 10 bucks, sure beats new tank prices.

By the way, propane does get old, it just doesn't age, kinda like me :D .

chuckster57
10-10-2014, 04:07 PM
OPD is only required on 4# to 40#..Unless Canada has different rules.

http://www.propane101.com/opdcylindervalves.htm

hankaye
10-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Steve S. Howdy;

Check this out, I'm sure you can find some contact information
so you can ask any questions that you might have;
http://www.propane.ca/en/about-propane/safety

hankaye

Ps. Pop always said,"If ya have a question ... go ask an expert."

Steve S
10-10-2014, 06:50 PM

Here in B.C we have 10 yrs on tanks and these have 7 left on them and yes it was a good score!

You can get old tanks re certified, unless of course they don't have the OPD, overfill protection device. Go to a propane dealer. Cost is nominal, 5 or 10 bucks, sure beats new tank prices.

By the way, propane does get old, it just doesn't age, kinda like me :D .

$10.00 to re-certify here and with a 100 pound tank we don't need the OPD as these are mainly used in commercial applications. Good point though!

OPD is only required on 4# to 40#..Unless Canada has different rules.

http://www.propane101.com/opdcylindervalves.htm

Yup, same rules here!

Steve S. Howdy;

Check this out, I'm sure you can find some contact information
so you can ask any questions that you might have;
http://www.propane.ca/en/about-propane/safety

hankaye

Ps. Pop always said,"If ya have a question ... go ask an expert."

Thanks for the replies and help! Hope others can learn as well:)