PDA

View Full Version : am/fm radio poor reception

Coydog
10-09-2014, 09:54 PM
very poor radio reception. inspected, thought that the antenna was not attached.Found there is a antenna wire plugged in but it has about 2 feet of wiring rolled up and tied off. No radio antenna visible on trailer. Is this the way new technology of antennas for am/fm radios? Or was it not installed at factory?

Festus2
10-09-2014, 10:04 PM
It is not uncommon for RV's to have a short coil of wire for a radio antenna. You'll often find this "antenna" hidden in the back of the stereo cabinet - along with the usual "bird's nest" of wires and cables. If you are looking for a roof antenna and can't see one, they didn't forget to install it where you think it should be. It's there - on the floor out of sight behind the stereo. New technology? More like a cost-saving measure I think.

You can try uncoiling the wire, and make a longer antenna by "stretching" it out and fastening it to a wall. See if that helps. If not, consider installing an external side-mounted antenna if the stereo is located in a convenient place. Or you can mount a roof antenna which will, of course, involve going through the ceiling.

Coydog
10-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks Festus2, kind of what I thought when I found it coiled up there. Pretty cheesy and cheap. Will probably install an antenna.

GaryWT
10-10-2014, 05:22 PM
I have one one the roof but I know many have just the wire. Stretch is as high as you can and see if it helps.

Ayotte
10-11-2014, 04:32 AM
I had the same problem. After trying many different things I bought a external aerial and mounted on the side of the camper. Works great

scott24
10-11-2014, 04:41 AM
We've never had bad reception......

Carrnutt
10-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Can't you also use an adapter and hook it into the TV antenna? For FM anyway.

Sherwood
10-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Can't you also use an adapter and hook it into the TV antenna? For FM anyway.
This is the way I do it with my camper and at home. Works great. Best reception I can find and cheapest.