PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Small Motor Sound???

slice38
10-06-2014, 10:09 AM
I have a 2013 Laredo 303TG. I notice that when I turn on the switch for the ceiling lights, a small motor sound begins. Sounds like a small vent fan or something. Can anyone tell me what that might be?

Regards,
Big Mike

Festus2
10-06-2014, 10:28 AM
I have a 2013 Laredo 303TG. I notice that when I turn on the switch for the ceiling lights, a small motor sound begins. Sounds like a small vent fan or something. Can anyone tell me what that might be?

Regards,
Big Mike

Big Mike -
It's the converter fan - "cooling" the converter when it gets warm. You should know the location of this device.

slice38
10-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Ok. I see and thank you for your quick information!

Big Mike

KanTC
10-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the forum Big Mike!

Chances are, those ceiling lights are 12 volt lights [powered by the RV battery], and the "small motor/fan sound" you hear is the converter/fan.
When it's quiet in the RV, it's not uncommon to hear the fan cycle on/off depending on the number of 12 volt items being used at the time.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

slice38
10-06-2014, 11:39 AM
You guys are awesome. Thanks,
Big Mike

JRTJH
10-06-2014, 04:00 PM
You can reduce the cycling significantly or in most cases completely eliminate the converter fan from coming on by changing your incandescent light bulbs for LED's. The LED's use less than 1/8th the amperage, reducing the demand on your converter as well as extending the amount of time that your battery can supply energy when dry camping.

hankaye
10-06-2014, 05:01 PM
slice38, Howdy;

Had my lil' fan cut on when i turned on the first light, cause was
my batteries, had pretty much boiled themselves dry ... :banghead:
or stoopud human trick #37 forget to check the levels in the batteries
and keep them properly maintained... replaced both 6 volters, no fan
noise yet ... I keep checkin' the batteries and add a tad of water when
they ask... Ok, so far...

hankaye