PDA

View Full Version : Leak in both fixed Slide-out windows

mnman
10-05-2014, 06:54 PM
2014 Springdale 311REGL travel trailer, has been parked since May at a Minnesota seasonal campground. Just this weekend I found water damage in the sofa/dining slide-out. First noticed musty smell when item was removed from under dining bench seat. I figurered the seal for the slide-out must have leaked but it seemed tight all around on the inside and everything was in place with all the rubber on the exterior. Checked the roof and all looked ok. Found gaps above both front and back fixed window frames. You could see the cut edge of the opening for the window in the side wall. It was not even a 1/4" below the edge of the metal frame around the window.
It looks like either the rough opening in the sidewalls for the windows are either to large and/or the window was not centered in the opening. It just seem that there should be more of the window flange coming in contact with the side wall material. There is something wrong that would allow the window frame in one corner to pull away from the side wall and allow an opening so close to the top edge of the window from.
I have contacted Keystone Service and the Dealer via email to find out more regarding repair and warranty. I hope all turns out well, I'm not the happiest camper today with my new Springdale. Hopefully that will get better.

JRTJH
10-05-2014, 07:30 PM
We had an issue with our Springdale slide window in the rear sidewall of our 2011 242 fifth wheel. The trailer was about 3 years old, and we noticed the carpet was wet behind the sofa. I started checking and found much the same as you. I removed the window, cleaned all the clay caulking tape off the outside rim, retaped with butyl putty tape, reinstalled the window and never had another leak at that window.

The way the windows are constructed and installed is quite common for all RV's. The trailer frame is constructed with an opening slightly larger than the window (to allow for expansion/contraction). The window is a 2 piece assembly, the outside flange and the inside window unit. They are held in place by a number of screws that when tightened pull the two parts together holding it in place. The butyl putty tape helps stabilize and seal the outer rim, keeping the window from shifting or leaking.

What "probably" happened with your trailer is the window was installed, tightened and left the factory, as the putty tape compressed, the screws became looser and eventually, you hit a bump or a series of bumps while towing and the window "shifted downward" from the vibrations. While it's not really common, windows do move a bit and in some situations, enough to cause that kind of issue. The dealer should remove the window, clean all the putty tape off, replace it and then reinstall the window.

You might want to take a #2 square drive screwdriver and walk around your trailer just tightening all the screws on all your windows just to make sure no other ones are loose. I wouldn't rely on the dealership to do that, you'll never know if they did or not, so unless you have the screwdriver in hand..... You know that drill.....

Good Luck,

mnman
10-06-2014, 03:16 PM
From what I understand about trailer windows and what I found online today, the exterior flange of the window should have sufficient contact with the sidewall material compressing the butyl tape.
My two windows in question do not appear to be centered in the rough opening. I make this assumption based on there appearing to be about an 1/8 to 1/4" of sidewall material at the top of the window.
The installation instruction state there should be two spacer clips between the sill and window and one clip on each jamp.
I would really like to remove the window ring to see but I will let the dealer do that. I don't need to do anything to void the warranty.
Almost forgot. The trailer has been parked at a seasonal campground since I had to delivered in May of this year. I checked all the window caulking this simmer and again just before the leaking. It has been warm and cooling off a lot at night. That might have something to do with the fact this didn't start until now. But the installation of the windows is still incorrect.