PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Cougar 333MKS Question

Javi
10-05-2014, 10:53 AM
I can't figure out the WHY of this window/skylight thingy... It is kind of cool to see out of it when you come out of the bedroom but I can't see a purpose for it. It ain't even got a shade and I couldn't reach it without a step ladder to clean it..

chuckster57
10-05-2014, 11:02 AM
If I'm looking at the picture right, it's all slide out and no windows other than the one you point out right?

If so its probably there to let in some natural light, and since its up high they didn't see a need to provide any shade/privacy.

Yosemitebob
10-05-2014, 11:06 AM
I thought for a second, before I looked at the picture, that you were talking true skylight. I also like the additional light as shown, but I've been waiting to see one literally from the ceiling positioned over the main room. We like to sit and be able to look up.

Steve S
10-05-2014, 11:19 AM
If it opens I can see the point, I guess one would need those poles to open it with.
Personally for the little amount of sunshine that would come through it I'd rather like a nice light there for the evenings.

Javi
10-05-2014, 12:00 PM
If I'm looking at the picture right, it's all slide out and no windows other than the one you point out right?

If so its probably there to let in some natural light, and since its up high they didn't see a need to provide any shade/privacy.

Yes that is the kitchen slide and the window is above the slide, on one end not really over the slide itself. It appears that it was positioned so that a 5' plus person can see out of it when standing on the bedroom stair landing. Any other it is above the sight line and you'd have to look for it specifically. It isn't a small window, probably 12" X 36" .

I'm sure it will let in light but with no shades and no way to open it that's the only function I can pin down. It is tinted like all the other windows so I guess it won't be a hot spot when the sun is shining on that side of the trailer..

JRTJH
10-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Years ago during Airstream's "heyday", when the Caravans and the Airstream ralley's were conducted, the trailers were parked side by side, sometimes with less than 3 or 4 feet between them. It was pretty much impossible to get "natural light" from the side and if you did open your shades/curtains there was sure to be someone walking past before you got turned around and sat down. Wally Byam came up with the concept of "Vista Windows" which are mounted above the side windows, on Airstreams, they are in the curve between the ceiling and the side wall. They let in natural light, not reflected "silver light" from the side of the neighbor's Airstream and they allow that light without giving up some modest amount of privacy.

Over the years, several manufacturers have "shared" on Byam's concept and put windows along the sides of their trailers, way up toward the top. They do let in a good amount of natural light and even though they don't open, offer some "ambience" and "extra sense of space" to the interior.

They are "good" if you like that kind of light, until the sun shines in and blinds you (depending on where you park and where you sit). Unfortunately, Keystone hasn't deemed it necessary to put shades or curtains on them, they are "just there" open to the sun..... On Airstreams there is a pull down solid covering that when closed appears to be a part of the ceiling. It blocks all light from the window and prevents most heat loss as well.

JeffS
10-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Does this mean you finally bought your wife the 333MKS?

Our 2014 does not have this elongated port-hole. Perhaps a short mini blind with a long cord will give light control.

Ken / Claudia
10-08-2014, 08:42 PM
I just clicked this to see inside Javis new trailer, real nice. I need to close this before my DW sees it.

chuckster57
10-08-2014, 08:50 PM
, real nice. I need to close this before my DW sees it.

Yes it is!! Thank goodness my DW is busy on her laptop most of the time :p

Javi
10-09-2014, 12:56 AM
Does this mean you finally bought your wife the 333MKS?

Our 2014 does not have this elongated port-hole. Perhaps a short mini blind with a long cord will give light control.

Yep, we pick it up the 17th.. For now we're gonna see how the porthole does it may be a non-issue.

byrdr1
10-09-2014, 04:57 AM
Yep, we pick it up the 17th.. .
CONGRATULATIONS..:applause:

RANDY

msp2jxr
10-09-2014, 10:36 AM
We have the 337 with the same window and are glad we have it. You would be surprised how much light comes in even when it seems dark out. We have the front living room so we can sit on the couch and can see out through it. I think it does make the the trailer seem larger.

katiekate
10-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Congratulations and enjoy! we love ours and it is a 2014 but doesn't have that window.

Javi
10-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Thanks y'all.. we just about got the Passport cleaned out and ready to go.. looking forward to bringing the 333MKS home and putting our stuff in all the new cabinets..