PDA

View Full Version : Rear bumper strength Cougar

Gardiner66
09-30-2014, 02:42 PM
I have a 2014 cougar 29RLI AND I BOUGHT A SWIVEL WHEEL TRAILER TO HAUL MOTORCYCLE OR GOLF CART WITH US AND I NEED TO FIND OUT HOW MUCH I CAN TOW WITH THE BUMPER WITHOUT REINFORCING IT

THANKS FOR ALL HELP......GARDINER66

Bob Landry
09-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Without reinforcing, a spare tire is about the limit. There are many threads on this subject.

JRTJH
09-30-2014, 03:37 PM
We've had members report rear bumper damage from the spare tire mount vibrating loose and damaging/bending the bumper. I removed everything from my rear bumper and had a class 3 hitch welded to the frame. I wouldn't trust the rear bumper to carry anything, although there are some people who have mounted Curt bumper hitch receivers to their bumper and carried everything from bikes to generators.

My advice, like Bob's, is don't trust the rear bumper for anything other than a spare tire, if even that.

Festus2
09-30-2014, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't tow anything that is attached to an unreinforced bumper. Best bet, as mentioned above, is to get a receiver which is then welded to the frame.

BobnLee
09-30-2014, 06:56 PM
Cougar had a recall because their bumpers were falling off. I found it cheaper and safer to have a guy weld a new thicker and stronger bumper on. Now i can carry my bikes and spare tire without any fear of loosing them. Still wouldnt pull a trailer without the hitch welded to the frame.

Wrenchited
12-15-2014, 05:08 PM
I added a bicycle rack to my 2015 cougar x-lite 29rli. 5 months of traveling the bumper has a slight twist to it. It has reinforcements at the corner welds. The bumper material is very weak and thin!

buckeyebobhockingcamper
12-19-2014, 10:14 AM
i put a curt 2 inch receiver hitch on my bumper for a bike rack .keys and back last year no signs of cracks or stress so far.i wouldnt haul much more on them though!!

cblong
12-19-2014, 12:07 PM
i put a bike rack and a single lightweight aluminum bike. also the spare tire was on there and the bumper bent.

Barbell
12-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Our '14 Montana came with no bumper at all and we were told that adding an after market bumper would void the warranty. I have added a receiver hitch that is bolted in four places to the frame and have a two bicycle rack mounted thereon. It is fine so far but I wouldn't put any more weight on it and definitely would not try to tow anything with it. Aside from the problems with double towing, I don't think this frame is built for towing, which is why it came without a bumper.