PDA

View Full Version : taller tires ???

mikebrls
09-26-2014, 07:51 PM
I have 265/70/17 P rated tires that I'm going to replace with some LT tires ,
would taller tire's tow better like 275 or 285 ?

Thank you
mike

Javi
09-27-2014, 01:37 AM
Yes and no... the wider footprint of a 275 will be a little more stable but you also change your effective gear ratio with the taller tire. In some cases this isn't a problem but if you are marginal on power, it can really cripple you when towing.

christopherglenn
10-06-2014, 04:03 PM
The ride is going to seem VERY stiff going from P to LT. Loaded you should like it, empty - not so much.

poncho62
10-07-2014, 02:46 AM
Larger tires will also affect mileage a little

Desert185
10-07-2014, 05:11 AM
I would use a GPS check the accuracy of your speedometer before going to a taller tire. I had a Dodge Ram with 245/65-16 LRE tires that looked like roller skate wheels in the big wheel wells, and the speedo was off. When it became time for new tires, I replaced them with 265/75-16 LRE tires (common on 94-02 Dodges) which are a bit taller and wider. A recheck with the GPS indicated that the speedo was right on the money, which also made the mileage computation more accurate.

One should also ensure wheel well clearance and wheel size are compatible with the larger size tires. As mentioned before, the gear ratio will change according to the size difference, which may adversely affect your towing effort depending on the size difference. Some programmers allow a tire diameter "reset" of the onboard computer.

Bigger tires won't always improve towing capability. More often than not, replacing the shocks with quality aftermarket versions and/or adding a rear sway bar would have a better result.