PDA

View Full Version : Fifth wheel towing with 2012 tundra v8 cm

tommyboy123
09-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Would like to know if its possible and safe for a lite weight 5th wheel trailer if so which ones?

chuckster57
09-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Based on just that question, who knows, but there is a way to figure it out.

Look in your owners manual and it should tell you the max weight you can tow. Then look at the tag on the drivers door and note the following:
GVWR and
RAWR

GVWR- the total weight your truck can be with everything AND everybody in it.

RAWR- rear axle weight rating. The most your REAR AXLE is designed to carry. This is a debated number, some feel it is conservative. I use it for "legal" purposes.

Now with everything and everybody your going to have in the truck when your going to the campground including full tank(s) of fuel, find a CAT scale. Using the weights from the scale slip and subtracting from the numbers on the door tag, you will KNOW how much you can legally tow. Don't forget to add about 100 lbs for the fifthwheel hitch. Some follow these numbers, others don't. It's your choice, BUT if you happen to get into an accident and the numbers show your over...

KanTC
09-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Far too many variables for a yes/no answer, and not enough info about your truck. Typically the truck's payload
capacity will be your first "limiting factor". Here's a 2012 chart which may be helpful:

http://www.settraining.com/content/course-codes/12_06_VQRG_Tundra_MY12_Payload_and_Towing_Capacity _Chart1.pdf

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

x96mnn
09-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Like the rest said, not enough factual information to say for sure. Taking an educated guess based on avg for that truck, you have 1600ish pds of payload. Remove 500pds for cargo, gas and people leaves you with 1100 pds. You can go with a 5500pd 5th wheel.

There are many out there towing twice that with airbags and such. I personally know of one person who lost his trailer and tundra due to sway and drove past a second that was towing a large trailer that had jack knifed. The second I cannot tell you for sure what happened, could have been to avoid an accident or something. The first one was my uncle, was driving on a calm day about 65mph and the trailer went into a sway and he lost control. He was hauling 32ft at 10500 and was over his limits. Insurance covered it, never asked a question.