PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator - Running on LP

Glenn54
09-26-2014, 11:45 AM
I have my refrigerator running on Auto and it seems to always be on LP. Is this normal? Should I change it from Auto to Electric only? Don't want to use up a lot of gas. Not sure it makes a difference but this is on a 2014 Avalanche. Thanks.

Festus2
09-26-2014, 12:49 PM
I have my refrigerator running on Auto and it seems to always be on LP. Is this normal? Should I change it from Auto to Electric only? Don't want to use up a lot of gas. Not sure it makes a difference but this is on a 2014 Avalanche. Thanks.

If you are plugged in to shore power, your fridge, if set to AUTO should be running on electric. The fridge will "sense" that you have both available but will automatically switch to electric (if set to AUTO). If you are not plugged in to shore power, the fridge will - if set to AUTO - run on propane.

chuckster57
09-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Another thing to check, is the refer plugged in? It only takes 12VDC to operate the controls. Ive had trailers come from the factory not plugged in, and IF your dealer didn't do a thorough PDI, they wouldn't catch it.

CampinNC
10-02-2014, 06:45 AM
I have had the same issue ... I thought it was set to auto but wasn't switching and one time I ran out of propane and lost all the food in my fridge and freezer. Now I just do it the manual way ... LP while traveling and then I switch it to electric when we get plugged in.

P.S. I do have LP gauges now, too! :p

Glenn54
10-02-2014, 06:51 AM
I have had the same issue ... I thought it was set to auto but wasn't switching and one time I ran out of propane and lost all the food in my fridge and freezer. Now I just do it the manual way ... LP while traveling and then I switch it to electric when we get plugged in.

P.S. I do have LP gauges now, too! :p

Thanks. I will try your method. How long did it take you to run out of propane? Where and what brand of gauges did you get? Thanks.

Scttw
10-02-2014, 06:53 AM
That's very strange as Festus explained it should automatically switch over .....

GaryWT
10-02-2014, 07:34 AM
Mine is automatic. When plugged in at home or camping it is on electric and when we tow it is on gas and just goes back to electric when plugged in.

BirchyBoy
10-02-2014, 08:10 AM
I've read somewhere that the fridges don't always stay defrosted when not running in AUTO mode. It might be worth keeping an eye on it if you do manually switch.

PT RV`er
10-04-2014, 05:32 AM
I always run my fridge in the gas mode. I`ve found out that running the fridge in electric puts a strain on the breakers while trying to run the a/c and or microwave. My fridge has an alarm that goes off when it senses the gas is about to run out. Also like stated above, I have a gas gauge that helps and I carry 2 tanks so I can switch over when it`s time.