PDA

View Full Version : Trip planning site

GMcKenzie
09-25-2014, 07:54 AM
I'm looking to plan out a long trip (BC to Nove Scotia) and am looking for something better than Google maps.

I want to plan stops, # of days stopped and that kind of thing. I'm trying to figure out how much time it will take to do with site-seeing etc. I'm thinking 6 weeks but would like to plan that out some.

Not going until summer of 2016 (25th anniversary) so lot's of time.

Kristi
09-26-2014, 11:50 AM
Have you looked at the Good Sam's trip planner? I haven't really used many of the features, but its easier to use then google. Other's may have better options they use.

kimanderson98642
09-26-2014, 02:32 PM
I use Good Sam and it works well and also Rand Mcnally has a similar one and both will upload to some of the Rand Mcnally GPS units.

BirchyBoy
09-26-2014, 09:01 PM
+1 for the Good Sam site.

GMcKenzie
09-29-2014, 07:00 AM
Yeah, need to be a member. Haven't found much use for the membership up here. Only really join when I'm shopping in the US at Camping World.

C130
05-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Any updated recommendations for a trip planning app or website? I have Goodsam and after several weeks of it not working I was just able to log on. I was informed they had a bug and was sorting it out.

I am planning a trip in June to Fall Creek Falls State Park in Tennessee. I will be driving from Magnolia, TX (north of Houston) to Hot Springs Arkansas the first day where we will be staying several nights. I have driven this route to Tennessee numerous times and Goodsam has me going a weird route for some reason and I cannot figure it out. I know you can drag the route around on the Goodsam trip planner but just wondering why it would take me a different route than other planning tools and the way I've driven it for the last 12 years. I am looking at the Allstays App which is $10.00 but does it have trip planning also? I've been on their website and see where it lists all kinds of stuff but wanted to confirm it gives route planning also. I don't mind paying but want the best route planning tool available, something that lists all the truck stops, Costco's, Sams Clubs, parks, etc.

Irving Ray
05-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Did that trip in 2010 , highways where great , don't miss the Thousand Lake sweep when you enter Ontario. We did a 150 mi a day , don't recommend nite driving do to animals, though saw very few. After Kick a horse pass its all down hill. The indians won't scalp you but the Provencal tax will . The good news is the provencal parks make up for it , stay in as many as you can.

bigbluthundr
05-13-2015, 06:02 PM
GMcKenzie - let me throw my hat into the ring - I use MS Streets and trips to plan, and follow the whole route - one day at a time to make sure what THEY say is what I want to do.

First - I think 6 wks is mission impossable - BUT that is my opinion.

We did this basicly two years ago - mind you we are on the island and went around The Gaspe and stayed a week on PEI, BUT - it took us 2 &1/2 months - and we did not see all we wanted.

We went via Canada and came back mostly via the USA route.

I drive the speed limit - actually at about 100kph IF I can. I also try to keep my days travel to under 400 kms.

If you ar interested you can PM me.

bbt

gtsum2
05-13-2015, 06:29 PM
I have allstays and road trippers and both have their strengths but I just used the good sam trip planner to route out a three week trip from east coast across the upper Midwest and then back east along s southern route and it worked great for me

bsmith0404
05-13-2015, 07:24 PM
Probably not as nice as using some other apps, but I typically just use MapQuest. Put in the entire route, then start bit and piecing it down based on where I think I may want to stop along the route. I also use the Pilot Fying J website to figure out where they have fuel stops along the way and fuel prices. The RV islands are so simple for getting in and out.

Rex1vt
05-14-2015, 03:50 AM
[QUOTE=GMcKenzie;145456]I'm looking to plan out a long trip

Freetrip.com has all the Good Sam planning tools,no charge.