PDA

View Full Version : Water heater not using electric

Challenged
09-23-2014, 05:27 PM
I flipped the switch to on, on my water heater. Later in the trailer, I hear the whooshing sound of propane being burned. I thought when electric was on, it always used it. How do I diagnose what could be wrong?

Festus2
09-23-2014, 05:31 PM
You didn't specify which switch you turned to ON but the water heater will work on both electricity and propane. If was originally on electricity and then you turned on the propane, both will be used to heat the water. So, you can use either propane or electricity or both.

Challenged
09-23-2014, 05:39 PM
I bought the used Keystone Challenger a month ago and am kind of learning as I go. Yesterday I looked at the water heater and noticed the electric switch was off. That's kind of weird, so I flipped it on. Later I hear the propane sound. I thought when electric was switched on it only used electric. I didn't see how to switch off the propane.

outwest
09-23-2014, 05:43 PM
I bought the used Keystone Challenger a month ago and am kind of learning as I go. Yesterday I looked at the water heater and noticed the electric switch was off. That's kind of weird, so I flipped it on. Later I hear the propane sound. I thought when electric was switched on it only used electric.

You have to turn off the propane switch if you do not want it using propane

chuckster57
09-23-2014, 06:07 PM
The switch is for the electrical element. If you have AC voltage available it will work. It does not disable/enable the propane function. You can also use both methods at the same time to heat the water for faster recovery (I do).

Ken / Claudia
09-23-2014, 09:16 PM
You might want to get help from the dealer or nearby rver and go over how eveything works. Learning as you go will cost you. As this point do you have water in the heater before turning it on. If not it will need a new electric heating element.

buzzcop63
09-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Use caution when using electric heat as it draws a fair amount of amp's as does the A/C unit and Microwave. Keep track of how much current you are drawing or you can have the Converter breaker open up or the Pedestal breaker. Check the display that has the slide switch, liquid levels to see if you have an on/off for the propane water heater. Always make sure their is water in the hot water tank by opening the relief valve on the heater, if it spits water you should have a full tank and be able to heat by Propane, electric or both.