PDA

View Full Version : Pin box flexing on new 14 Cougar 327RES

Campy
09-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Recently picked up a new 2014 Cougar 327RES and towing it home and again on our first outing I'm noticing some flexing in the pin box. You can see it in the rearview mirror, the front cap moving up and down slightly over the pin box. I'm thinking there should not be any flexing at all.

Brantlaker
09-23-2014, 12:34 PM
YOU ARE RIGHT! I would bring it back to the Dealer ASP. You should not see any flexing at all at any time.If it flexes now what will it do when you put a load in it to go camping.

chuckster57
09-23-2014, 01:00 PM
My '97 Jayco had some slight movement (flex) for the entire 13 1/2 yrs I had it. My current fiver does too.

I may be wrong, but it's been my experiences that the way the pin box is attached and extends, causes torsional flex in the front framework and is factored into the design.

By all means take it in and have it checked for excessive movement, and I would contact Lippert components and talk to tech support about how much movement is "acceptable".

jsmith948
09-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Is it flexing or are you seeing the front cap moving up and down as a result of the truck's rear suspension working? If the pin box (and the frame where it attaches) is flexing I would think that you would see movement at the pin box when you raise and lower the landing gear (load and unload the trailer's weight on the pin box). Are the pin box bolts tight?

chuckster57
09-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Is it flexing or are you seeing the front cap moving up and down as a result of the truck's rear suspension working? If the pin box (and the frame where it attaches) is flexing I would think that you would see movement at the pin box when you raise and lower the landing gear (load and unload the trailer's weight on the pin box). Are the pin box bolts tight?

That describes what I was trying to say.

therink
09-23-2014, 04:32 PM
What I would do is unhitch the trailer, place a straight edge across the top of the pin box and mark the front cap where the straight edge rests. Then lower the trailer onto the hitch, raise the landing gear and check the markings with the straight edge. If the box has risen more than 1/2" (my guess), there could be a problem. Also listen for unusual stress sounds. Some movement of the pin box is normal. As mentioned make sure the pin box bolts are torqued properly (not sure but I think 180 ft/lbs or so).

Campy
09-24-2014, 09:40 AM
The first thing I checked was the bolts to make sure they was tight. I currently have it set up at a campground for our last camping trip this year (first trip in this camper) but will measure the movement when I reattach to the truck. The camper has to go back for warranty issues anyway so i'll ask them when it's there. We found a big "blister" (softball size) in the front cap when we picked it up and they are going to fix that.