PDA

View Full Version : Sealant for new Avalanche

Glenn54
09-20-2014, 06:51 PM
The dealer has recommended a sealant for the exterior and interior that's supposed to protect the TT from just about everything for 5 years. Cost is $1,700. Is it worth it?

gearhead
09-20-2014, 06:55 PM
No. But they will do it for less than half that. I know. lol
And it ain't worth that either!
But I have it.
Can I blame my wife??

chuckster57
09-20-2014, 07:27 PM
That's about the price our dealership charges. Would I get it? Depends on your ability to do it yourself. I just spent 3 hrs this morning waxing my entire trailer. Total cost? A new orbital buffer (my old one broke) $17.99 and a 2 pack of lambs wool bonnets.
Wax used is your choice. I used NU finish 2 years ago when I bought my trailer, this time was some special stuff the dealership gave me to "test".
Scotch Guard is good for interior unless it's leather/vinyl.

Festus2
09-20-2014, 08:50 PM
The dealer has recommended a sealant for the exterior and interior that's supposed to protect the TT from just about everything for 5 years. Cost is $1,700. Is it worth it?

Unless there is some reason why you cannot "protect" the exterior and interior yourself, then I would not recommend that you spend $1700 to have somebody else do it.

You can do exactly the same thing for far less.

Richard6959
09-21-2014, 02:12 AM
What are we supposed to protect on the inside and what do we use? I have a new Laredo TT, dont recall hearing that anything was needed on the inside.

chuckster57
09-21-2014, 04:12 AM
I would treat the carpet and upholstery.

Brantlaker
09-21-2014, 04:29 AM
It is a ripoff it probably cost the dealer about $100.00 or less to put it on. it is one of the ways that they make a lot of extra money on you. You can use any number of fabric protectors for the interior and wax the exterior I use 3M Marine products. When I worked at the auto dealership the F&I person would sell all the upgrades and that is were they made their money.

Glenn54
09-21-2014, 06:53 AM
Thanks all. I will decline this and buy a buffer for the wife. j/k

Chuckster57, sent you a pm.

therink
09-21-2014, 07:23 AM
What I do:
1) A thorough detailing once/yr using a hand applied polish (I use nNuFinish)
2) Using rug doctor extractor, clean carpets, upholstery 1x year.

Maintenance:
1) Clean roof regularly (medium bristle deck brush with mild detergent. Add some bleach if mildew is bad.
2) Wash walls and other surfaces with soft bristle deck brush (about 1x month), or as needed.
3) Apply polish to front fiberglass cap every other month or so.

By doing this myself, it allows me to regularly inspect and touch up caulked areas. No dealer is going to care and pay attention to detail like I do, no matter how much I pay them.