PDA

View Full Version : My new TT expenses

Richard6959
09-19-2014, 05:11 PM
I consider myself a newbie when it comes to traveling in an RV. So when my wife and I started planning we focused on the brand and model that we were going to purchase. Although I knew there was going to be some additional costs involved to get things ready for our first trip, I didn’t realize just how much. So I wanted to share my experience NOT to deter anyone from the idea that may be thinking about RV’ing, but to give you some things to consider.

It’s a fact that people need “stuff”, sometimes we have too much, sometimes too little but we all have it. I’m still figuring out what is the necessary stuff, what I think is necessary, what is simply a “want” and what stuff is just plain dumb to consider. So here we go…

We brought our new 2014 TT home last month (August) and its still sitting in the driveway. We have been working for just over a month now to get it ready for our first trip. This is what I have purchased.

4 rolls of cheap RV toilet paper that could be used to sand furniture – Cost: $5:eek:
Wheel chocks – Cost:$10
Dog bone for 50 amp to 30 amp plug – Cost: $30
Dog bone for 30 amp to 110 plug – Cost: $25
Pop-a-plate - Cost: $8
Slide seal treatment – Cost: $20
Slide cable dry lube – Cost: $20
Several wire baskets – Cost: $20
2nd A/C for bunkhouse - $1100
Truck Mirrors – Cost: $300
Truck air spring support – Cost: $100
WifiRanger Antenna – Cost: $350
JD Stabilizer system – Cost: $250
Fantastic Fan (installed in vent over the kitchen)– Cost: $200
Fan installation kit $8 (Returned)
Lap seal (Wrong color, used anyway) – Cost $10
Refrigerator fan – Cost: $15
Queen memory foam mattress pad (love it)– Cost: $125
8 large Storage tubs – Cost: $80
Spice rack – Cost: $20
Magnetic knife holder – Cost: $10
Knives – Cost: $20
3M hooks, tape, Velcro – Cost: $40
Brush to wash RV – Cost: $20
Mop – Cost: $10
2 bottles of Wax - $16
Micro-fiber clothes – Cost $10
Scissor jack drill attachment – Cost: $8
R/V Water hose – Cost: $30
Utility water hose – Cost: $20
Storage box for some of the junk – Cost: $40
50 foot/ 50amp extension cord – Cost: $100
Sewer kit - Cost: $30
Kitchen towel holder – Cost: $10

If you’re keeping up we are at $2992….:banghead:

Leveling blocks (Lego style without the little men) – Cost: $30
Water pressure regulator – Cost: $40
LP tank gauge – Cost: $15
Stick on bubble levels – Cost: - $5
Water hose end caps – Cost: $3
2 vent shades – Cost: $25
1 vent shade cushion – Cost: $10 ?
1 gal tank deodorizer – Cost: $10
4 Camp chairs – Cost: $100
Refrigerator thermometer – Cost: $5
Dump station wrench – Cost: $8

We’re not done… but so far we have spent $3242. We know all the employees at camping world by name. When we walk in, they run the other way. :confused:

This is still on the list but has not been purchased.

Awning sun screen – Cost: $80
Door step rugs – Cost: $30
Patio rug – Cost: $70
3 Slide stabilizers – Cost: $125
Pots, pans – Cost: $50
Adhesive – Cost: $5
Indoor thermometer W/ multiple sensors for tanks – Cost: $60
Outside Refrigerator thermometer – Cost: $5
Shower squeegee – Cost: $5
Vent cover – Cost: $25
Water thief – Cost: $5
Sewer slinky – Cost: $20
Twin Memory foam pad for bunk house – Cost: $80
Outdoor shower kit – Cost: $20
Battery master switch – Cost: $40
EZ Hose carrier – Cost: $30
Clear hose connector: Cost: $8

Another $658 for a grand total of $3900. But wait, there’s more. My wifey wants to buy some new linens, a few decorative thingy’s and some more kitchen stuff. Each time either of us leaves the driveway we come back with more stuff even if its only to the mail box its likely more stuff will have arrived.

Sorry I have to keep this short, I need some more lap seal and camping world is still open.

srvnt
09-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Don't give up, your halfway there! BBQ, weight distribution hitch, generator, etc, etc, man the list goes on and on!

chuckster57
09-19-2014, 05:26 PM
I will give you fair warning now, it NEVER ends!!!

I've been buying "stuff" for my RV's since '89...still buying stuff.

Richard6959
09-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Don't give up, your halfway there! BBQ, weight distribution hitch, generator, etc, etc, man the list goes on and on!

The RV came with a bumper mounted BBq and the dealer threw in the weight distribution hitch. $1000 saved. Need to go buy more stuff...

Festus2
09-19-2014, 05:48 PM
I see that you have 3 slide stabilizers on your list at $125. If these stabilizers are the type that you place under your slides when extended, you might consider not doing this. When extended, the slide outs are designed and constructed to bear the weight of the occupants sitting or standing on it plus the weight of any furniture or appliances.

By placing stabilizers underneath the slide out, you are actually preventing it from flexing ever so slightly and instead keeping it rigid. Some slight and barely noticeable flexing is more desirable to having it "immovable". I doubt if you would notice any significant movement of the slide out by not having the stabilizers in place.

Personally, I would not use or recommend them. I very seldom, if ever, see them being used by RVers. So I would save the $125.

JRTJH
09-19-2014, 05:50 PM
I've been RVing for darn near 50 years now and many of the things on your list as "need to have" or "must have" are things that aren't yet in my inventory of "stuff". I say that because it seems that you're "parked in the driveway" not using your RV "until it's complete"....

I'd urge you to "take what you've got" and go camping. Sure, there will be things that you will need (WalMart is right around the corner from almost every US campground) and there will be things that you "thought" you'd need that never were necessary. As you camp, as you grow in experience you'll find things you "need" things you "wish you had" and things that "go in the next garage sale".... Don't try to "wait until it's complete" to start camping, take a few pots from home, some sheets that fit "good enough" and some old pillows and load the refrigerator and fill the water tank and "head out" !!!!

So far, I've never had a thermometer in my refrigerator, never had a fan in my refrigerator, never had a gage on my propane tanks and never had a "plastic end" for my fresh water hose. I just screw the ends together after I coil it up and store it in the basement. I think there's one old plastic bin in there, but certainly not 8 new ones waiting for "stuff".....

Stop spending already and start camping. I'm guessing you'll find that much of the "STUFF" on your "need to get list" will fall by the wayside as you learn to enjoy what you've got.

The objective for most of us isn't to "take it all with us" but to use the RV to "get away from all of it".....

Plan a trip before you go broke buying "stuff"......:cool:

GaryWT
09-19-2014, 06:27 PM
A really or wow are the first 2 words that came to mind. Someone has sold you a bill of goods and my guess is CW. Camping for 24 years and I don't have 1/3 of this stuff. When we started back in the day it was the old pots and pans from our college days, the older towels from the closed, sleeping bags that we had. In time you upgrade and what not. Buy Scott toilet paper, tow mirrors are like $30 for a set, fans and thermometers don't have any. If you had a hose, sewer hose, clothes, food and something to sleep on/with you are good to go. So much of what we still use was extra stuff around the house and then there is always Fathers Day for the stuff you want.

Good luck and happy camping.

chuckster57
09-19-2014, 06:37 PM
I may need to clarify my original reply. I went back and looked at the OP's list, and I also don't have nearly the amount of things listed.

I have however bought things that have made MY RV'ing easier. MY conveniences maybe aren't what someone else's are, and I was blessed with a job that allowed me to spend $$ on "stuff", so over the years I have. We each have our own idea of need vs. want, and my main point was to say that it seems once you start livin the RV life, you'll never run out of things to buy.

JRTJH
09-19-2014, 06:43 PM
I may need to clarify my original reply. I went back and looked at the OP's list, and I also don't have nearly the amount of things listed.

I have however bought things that have made MY RV'ing easier. MY conveniences maybe aren't what someone else's are, and I was blessed with a job that allowed me to spend $$ on "stuff", so over the years I have. We each have our own idea of need vs. want, and my main point was to say that it seems once you start livin the RV life, you'll never run out of things to buy.

No truer words were ever spoken.... That's why I'm still walking by that brass anti-siphon valve at Lowe's.... I know I need it, but if I buy it, something else will "rise to the top of my list" and I'll still be "wanting to buy something" :rofl:

Festus2
09-19-2014, 07:03 PM
If you intend to buy all this "stuff" now, then you'll have nothing left to buy. All the fun of looking, shopping and buying will have gone. Save some for later and; in the meantime, improvise or do without. You'll be amazed at how much money you can save and how easy it is to do without a whole bunch of the items on your shopping list.

As has been mentioned previously ....... "wants vs needs". I bet that you can have a whole bunch of fun and enjoy camping without many of the items on your list(s).

theeyres
09-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Wow! I fulltimed and never bought half that stuff. Surely you jest and are just listing all the stuff you could buy. Have fun...evidently you like buying more than doing. Just go camping and enjoy.

Ken / Claudia
09-19-2014, 10:17 PM
All of the fun stuff we do costs to much. You ever buy a boat, my last one was 33,000 and when I left the dealer I owned them 42,000.

Fishhawk
09-20-2014, 03:09 AM
It's your money and opinion on what's "needed" to be ready to camp
So Do what you feel will make your camp "convenient"

It's my opinion that you are way over thinking this stuff

Our approach, which as usual, was far from perfect, was to add what we really needed
When we needed it, not following anyone's list

We love to camp, like to be reasonably comfortable
But don't give a rats about things being "perfect"

Be happy, don't worry

Richard6959
09-20-2014, 03:11 AM
I knew this would get a few of you stirred up! Me, I could have hooked up at the dealer and went strait to the campground :) .

But, I have a wife and two teenage daughters.... enough said. But yes, there are a couple of goodies on the list I bought for myself just for convenience.

Oh we wont get everything remaining on our list, and I might have said that we are moving so we will be full time/for a few months. So with that, a few extra things were warranted. :banghead:

bg71361
09-20-2014, 03:59 AM
All I just heard was 2 teenage daughters and full timing for a while, you may need those extra luxuries. Good luck friend!! :)

chuckster57
09-20-2014, 04:07 AM
I didn't see ear plugs on that list LOL.

trueweb
09-20-2014, 04:48 AM
Haha, I think all the long timers and full timers take for granted their experience and what they already have tucked away in their tool bags and storage boxes. ;)

For the rest of us that bought our first RVs we are worried about "what if". We think we "need" all the supplies and they aren't expensive if purchased or replaced over time, but all those $5-$40 items add up.

I'll have to study your list to see what I missed! :)

kellydog98
09-20-2014, 04:52 AM
You mean the rest of you don't have maid and butler service? :rolleyes:

GmaPaTime
09-20-2014, 04:54 AM
Having just been through this our selfs, my DW and I decided to only get what was needed to function the systems within the trailer so we could just enjoy being away from it all. We believe in only getting THINGS as you experience the actual need for it. Also must say that CW is not the cheapest place to buy things.

JRTJH
09-20-2014, 05:58 AM
Not to beat a dead horse to death, but something that we haven't mentioned is weight. We're talking about a Laredo 320TG being pulled by a Dodge 1500. Add a DW, 2 teenage daughters and now all the "stuff on this list" ???

The trailer dry weight is about 8000 lbs, add the "stuff that normal teenagers bring" with the "stuff that D/W brings" and the "stuff on this list" and that trailer's weight is going to be "over the top".

Not to start yet another debate on "if it can pull it" or ??? But remember, the trailer has a cargo capacity of about 1500 lbs. The "stuff" on that list is likely a lot more than the load capacity of the trailer and there's no clothes or food in it yet...... And it's riding on TowMax tires......

GaryWT
09-20-2014, 06:24 AM
John you bring up a good point. Some Rams have low payload figures to start with. The unloaded trailer might have been close. Something to look at for sure.

JRTJH
09-20-2014, 06:43 AM
Just doing the "quick math" I came to that conclusion. Here's what I saw:

Dry Tongue Weight: 900
propane/battery: 100
2 teen daughters: 250
D/W: 125
Hitch head & bars: 75
Total "dry" payload: 1450

And that's before adding anything on this "extensive need/want list"

So, by the time this "stuff" gets added to the mix, it's likely not all going to fit in that trailer (even though it is 36' long) and some of that will be carried in the truck bed adding to the payload.

Trying to manage that kind of load and stay under the truck's payload is going to be a "Barnum & Bailey" kind of circus.....

All I can do is wish Richard6959 good luck getting all this in the "package" and staying under his payload. As for towing..... 'nuff's been said already".....

lspajm
09-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Go camping close to home a few times and then you can come up with a list of what you really need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richard6959
09-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Whew, appreciate everyone's opinion and input. We are weighing everything that goes in or on so that we can monitor the weight. Wife and kids holding the laundry basket while stepping on the bathroom scale. Its not science but its will be close enough. We are keeping a list so that we can see where all the weight is. If we start to get heavy, the wife and kids will have to stay :D Seriously, we will lighten the load if it becomes necessary. Or if we find that hard to do... I'll just have to upgrade the truck... break my little heart it wouldn't.

Let me also say, for this move, my wife will be driving her Jeep Laredo with a lot of the extra clothes, food, dogs etc.

I'm a little adventurous, but not completely insane. Circus? Maybe I could sell tickets for gas money.

Festus2
09-20-2014, 02:31 PM
At some point - and not too far down the road - I would highly recommend that you take your truck and TT to a weigh scale. (You can add this small but very important expense to your very lengthy list). Put everything in the truck - teenage daughters, wife, dog(s), whatever else you can't cram into your RV that you plan on taking camping with you.

I am thinking of the time when you are not "part-time full-timing, will be "on the road" and actually towing your TT from A to B to C to ....

When you hit the scales and get some real weight figures, I'd like to see what they are if you don't mind sharing them with us.

To echo what others have already pondered......"Why so much stuff? Why do you need all this stuff NOW"? :confused: Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

vampress_me
09-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Umm...can I say thank you? I now don't feel so bad at what I spent. :D When we bought ours this spring, I had $500 to outfit it. Cooking, bedding, tools, everything except the B&W Companion, and the poo chute stuff the hubby wanted. I probably had too much fun finding really good deals/coupons since I refused to cheap out on the cookware and silverware. But I have decided the $1.99 can opener has to go before next year, that was a waste of $2!

To be fair, I should probably include the new Honda generator I just picked up in MT last week. But at least there was no sales tax!

outwest
09-25-2014, 06:49 AM
My list is never ending. And I keep finding stuff that I never thought about adding. *laf* For example, I recently bought one of those 9' x 12' woven mats to put out under awning area. Even in places where awning isn't put out it's still nice to have for when it rains, etc. Nice to not have to wade wet grass when getting in and out of trailer. I never thought about buying one of those, but am glad I did.

wbatto
09-26-2014, 04:27 AM
Hello,
We started camping 6 years ago, I am sure your super excited as we were and congratulations. when we started out I wanted all kinds of thing for my Rv, after a couple of years about 1/3 of it ended up in yard sales. our problem was the stuff is nice to have but you only have so much room to store it. After digging thru the cubby 25 time for the things I used each time we went camping I did some sole searching and sorted it out. Another thing we tend to do is in the winter time is if we can't use it in the house it would be nice to have in the camper Sooooooo every spring I end up sorting stuff out before we go camping. I know it's hard but after you go a few time and talk to different folks who are camping you'll figure out what you need and want. Just my two cents and have fun thats the main thing:)

mom2budnbug
10-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Wow, that is quite the list! I agree, you need to get out and camp! During our first month of camping, we would keep a list of things that we felt we needed to add to the trailer. We have had the trailer for over a year now, figure we have spent over 30 nights in it, and are now to a point of removing some of the "stuff" that we felt we really needed and never use. Enjoy your trailer and camping.

billandjan
10-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Camping World has everything, but there are less expensive places to purchase the basics, like Wal-Mart.

summerhummer
10-05-2014, 11:27 AM
There is no doubt camping can be expensive. There is alot to get. I just had a few questions as I may want some of this stuff myself I just don't know what it is.. For example....

Slide cable dry lube – Cost: $20...I haven't located this yet how often should I be using it ?
Wifi Ranger Antenna – Cost: $350 Not sure what this does?

JD Stabilizer system – Cost: $250Not sure what this does. Does it go between the tires to stop shaking while parked ?

Where is this used on a 2014 trailer? I understand why we seal but it should be good for at least 6 months- 1year from the factory. I am not thinking about this till my 1 year anniversary... Part of the blessing of buying a new rig.

Mop – Cost: $10 I have 2 kids and lucky to not have needed this yet. Not
sure where I would store it but still a good idea...

50 foot/ 50amp extension cord – Cost: $100 SO I assume this is to extended your existing cord? My factory one is pretty long. never had an issue reaching with 10 trips thus far.

Sewer kit - Cost: $30??? Not sure what this is as I see other sewer related hoses above.

Not sure what these vent shades /covers are can someone explain or show a picture?

Dos this hang off the awning?

Jim & DJ
10-05-2014, 02:01 PM
All I can say is "WOW"

Festus2
10-05-2014, 02:49 PM
There is no doubt camping can be expensive. There is alot to get. I just had a few questions as I may want some of this stuff myself I just don't know what it is.. For example....

Slide cable dry lube – Cost: $20...I haven't located this yet how often should I be using it ?
Any can of dry lube spray will do just fine in this and many other applications. Way less than $20

Wifi Ranger Antenna – Cost: $350 Not sure what this does?
It boosts/increases WiFi reception in a campground. Only necessary if the CG hasn't an easy access to WiFi --- like you have to go to the office.

JD Stabilizer system – Cost: $250Not sure what this does. Does it go between the tires to stop shaking while parked ?
It stabilizes the RV and goes between the frame and the front/rear jacks. Not a bad investment at all.

Where is this used on a 2014 trailer? I understand why we seal but it should be good for at least 6 months- 1year from the factory. I am not thinking about this till my 1 year anniversary... Part of the blessing of buying a new rig.
Sealant -both self-leveling and non self-leveling are good to have on hand.

Mop – Cost: $10 I have 2 kids and lucky to not have needed this yet. Not
sure where I would store it but still a good idea...
We get by with a cloth and some water.

50 foot/ 50amp extension cord – Cost: $100 SO I assume this is to extended your existing cord? My factory one is pretty long. never had an issue reaching with 10 trips thus far.
Shouldn't have to park your rig more than 50ft from a pedestal. A luxury item IMO.

Sewer kit - Cost: $30??? Not sure what this is as I see other sewer related hoses above.
The kit has different attachments for your sewer hose to fit various CG sewer intakes. They are not all the same connections from one CG to another.
Not sure what these vent shades /covers are can someone explain or show a picture?
Keeps sunlight and heat out of the clear vents - especially in bathroom shower area.[/]

[I]A screen that hangs down from the awning to keep the sun - at a low angle - from hitting the sides of the RV and to provide a bit more shade when sitting under the awning. Not a bad idea.
Dos this hang off the awning? Yes.

I hope this helps somewhat.

summerhummer
10-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Hello that for sure helps. The only question I have is on the JD stablizers. I guess I can google that. But thanks again this helps my understanding for sure....

Festus2
10-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Hello that for sure helps. The only question I have is on the JD stablizers. I guess I can google that. But thanks again this helps my understanding for sure....

There are 3 popular brands of stabilizers: Steadyfast, JT StrongArms, and BAL. Steadyfast comes highly recommended by many of our members who have them but those and JT StrongArms are the most expensive of the group.

As you said, Google each one for details and pricing and check out videos by the manufacturer and YouTube.

If you have a lot of movement in the RV, they perform quite well in reducing it and can be installed by the owner.

Steve S
10-05-2014, 05:12 PM
You spent $10.00 on a mop?:eek: Do you not have dollar stores where you live?:rolleyes:
Have you been out camping yet;)

Hey here's a pic that I send my friend's when they ask me what they need to take camping with them! lol!