PDA

View Full Version : fuzion gaz in the fuel tank for winter

Moncanam
09-18-2014, 06:43 PM
I have a Fuzion and this summer I had put fuel in the tank, but because of the large surface of the tank I cought not used all the fuel Inside, there is some left and I won't use the Fuzion for all winter. How coud i remove the fuel or what shoud I do with it ?

bsmith0404
09-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Fill the tank to prevent condensation and use Sta-bil. Your other option is to drain the tank, if there isn't a drain, pull the fuel line and drain. For the generator, you can go either route. With either, shut the fuel feed off to the carb and run the engine until it dies or drain the float bowl. The biggest concern is varnish in the carb from old fuel. Sta-bil will help, but getting the gas out of the carb is the best way to prevent it.

christopherglenn
09-18-2014, 07:00 PM
If it is the fuel station, put in 2x the stabil as recommended - based on how much fuel you think is in the tank, and use the hose to pump fuel back into the fuel station, you are trying to mix it. For the generator tank, get a 5 gallon gas can, put 20 gallons worth of stabil in it (4oz?), top with gas, and dump it in the generator tank. Then run the generator with the AC on for at least 5-10 minutes to get the stabil in the carb. You should be exercising the generator 20-30 min a month under load anyway to keep the windings dry, this is as good as a time to do this months run while you are there.

JAL
09-19-2014, 04:17 AM
If you can find gas without ethanol in it, fill it with that. It is more expensive and tough to find a station that sells it but much better if you are leaving it sit for a while. Still add your stabil.

gilpinbrewer
09-19-2014, 05:32 AM
Even better than sta-bil is add seafoam to the tanks. It conditions gas for up to 2 years of storage. I use this stuff in everything and never have a problem with varnish or gumming up.

bsmith0404
09-19-2014, 05:42 AM
Seafoam is good stuff. I've used it in the past as well to "tune-up" the carb. I normally use it in the first tank after the storage season. Have never used it for storage purposes. Guess I'll have to look into/consider it.

Desert185
09-19-2014, 06:03 AM
This new gas doesn't seem to varnish like older blends. It just looses it's strength. I used to have gas delivered to my house in rural Nevada, but stopped because I couldn't use it fast enough.

One day, the quad wouldn't start. I did everything to troubleshoot the problem, including changing the spark plug, which looked bad. I finally put fresh gas in it and it ran fine. The company came to retrieve the tank and gave me credit for the remaining gas! (tx)

Running float bowls dry as extra insurance and religiously using Stabil has eliminated any old gas problems for me. Living in the desert, I haven't had any problems with condensation in anything not having a full tank (including my airplane that has sump drains for water elimination), so filling the tank for a storage period isn't a concern. I just use Stabil, and then there is room for fresh gas when I want to use the vehicle again.

As a side note, aviation gas (it's leaded) is so much more stable than car gas that storage without additives isn't required. I'm told a lot of fire departments use it in their gas powered rescue equipment for start/run reliability. It works great in my Honda 1000 gen for fly in camping. No need to carry the fire hazard of full gas cans in the plane when there's plenty in the wings.

Whitehouse
09-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Are these tanks still metal? Keystone informed me they weren't. Haven't verified though. I've left mine full and empty & never used any additives. Haven't had a problem yet.

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
09-20-2014, 08:49 PM
This new gas doesn't seem to varnish like older blends. It just looses it's strength. I used to have gas delivered to my house in rural Nevada, but stopped because I couldn't use it fast enough.

One day, the quad wouldn't start. I did everything to troubleshoot the problem, including changing the spark plug, which looked bad. I finally put fresh gas in it and it ran fine. The company came to retrieve the tank and gave me credit for the remaining gas! (tx)

Running float bowls dry as extra insurance and religiously using Stabil has eliminated any old gas problems for me. Living in the desert, I haven't had any problems with condensation in anything not having a full tank (including my airplane that has sump drains for water elimination), so filling the tank for a storage period isn't a concern. I just use Stabil, and then there is room for fresh gas when I want to use the vehicle again.

As a side note, aviation gas (it's leaded) is so much more stable than car gas that storage without additives isn't required. I'm told a lot of fire departments use it in their gas powered rescue equipment for start/run reliability. It works great in my Honda 1000 gen for fly in camping. No need to carry the fire hazard of full gas cans in the plane when there's plenty in the wings.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.....if you can get it AVGAS is the way to go for any non catalytic convertor engines. The amount of Lead in AVGAS is very minimal also. Not a big deal. Our fuel here does not contain ethanol but I still like to store my power-sports equipment with AVGAS, especial the bikes over the long winter here.

FusionFZ371
09-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Pretty sure the generator folks want you to run the genny's under load at least half an hour per month.. For warranty's sake anyway. it's probably not a bad idea anyhow.

Way Of Life
11-24-2014, 05:49 PM
From reading the owners manual that came with our unit Onan recommends a product called Onafresh. I'm sure Stabil is a comparable product but I choose to use the recommended products. Also the bottle of Onafresh will treat 40 gallons.....I am certain that using the full bottle to treat my 30 gallon tanks is acceptable.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=55-9550&404;http://www.rvupgradestore.com:80/OnaFresh-GXLP-Fuel-Stabilizer-p/55-9550.htm=