PDA

View Full Version : Propane piping codes Canada/US

albertr
01-25-2011, 08:29 AM
I don't remember the details but I was once told by a Canadian dealer that the propane piping on US rvs don't conform to Canada standards. Does anybody know what this is all about? Thanks...Al

Festus2
01-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Al...... I have just contacted a local BC RV service center who informed me that if you are bringing an RV, such as a 5th wheel or TT etc into Canada, you should do the following:
1) ensure that it has an RVIA sticker on it which indicates that it meets North American standards.
2) when you bring it into Canada, get a propane check on all lines and appliances to check for leaks. This is optional but should be done for your own safety and peace of mind. There are requirements that the serial numbers on the RV match the documents and that the tires and weights are correct.
So it looks like there is no compulsory test that has to be done to meet Canadian gas/propane requirements.
You should check with Customs at both borders to ensure that you have all the necessary paperwork in order --- the same as with bringing a vehicle across if you were to buy that in the US.

KanTC
01-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Al,

The Avalanche OPTIONS list shows:
'Canadian compliance'; RVIA seals; RVIA MEP fee

http://keystone-avalanche.com/index.php?page=options

I'm not familiar with what's required to meet 'Canadian compliance', but the dealer should be - especially since it's shown as an optional item & appears to be an additional cost to the buyer. If there's some type of changes made during construction (to meet compliance), then at the very least, the dealer's order/build sheet should show if this 'option' was included on the trailer you want to purchase.

Hope this helps!

Terri, the co-pilot :)

Jim W
01-27-2011, 05:08 AM
Al,

The Avalanche OPTIONS list shows:
'Canadian compliance'; RVIA seals; RVIA MEP fee

http://keystone-avalanche.com/index.php?page=options

I'm not familiar with what's required to meet 'Canadian compliance', but the dealer should be - especially since it's shown as an optional item & appears to be an additional cost to the buyer. If there's some type of changes made during construction (to meet compliance), then at the very least, the dealer's order/build sheet should show if this 'option' was included on the trailer you want to purchase.

Hope this helps!

The Canadian regulations on pressure vessels is different then US, and also in Europe. Therefore the pressure vessel must be constructed and tested using the Canadian certification requirements, to enter Canada. That is not to say that there is anything wrong with the US version of a pressure vessel. It is just a way for regionalation and to provide work for Canadians. In the compliance industry.
The Pressure vessel is defined as anything that is pressurized and or containing an explosive gas. As an example, Propane tanks, Accumulators, Fire extinguishers, and Struts.

I had to worry about this all the time when I was designing heavy equipment for either Europe and or Canada. We would offer an optional equipment package that would allow the dealer to order compliance equipment to meet the regional requirements. This kept the cost down in the US and other countries that agreed with the SAE/ASME testing standards.

Jim

KanTC
01-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Thank You Jim - that's 'good to know' info - I appreciate it.