PDA

View Full Version : Fall Colors in da UP

RovingReiley
09-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Hi all! We have a beautiful new 2014 Mountaineer 310RET and are headed to upper Michigan for the fall colors in October. We bought it because of the Four Season Living but are a bit nervous about the fresh water tanks and lines if it gets nippy. Has anyone had any below freezing experience with this package? They say it is tested to 0.

Paul and Donna
2014 Mountaineer 310RET
2014 F350 Diesel 4 x 4
Retiree Wannabee!!!!

bsmith0404
09-16-2014, 02:35 PM
This time of year you shouldn't have to worry. Yes the UP can get down there, but the radiated heat in the floor will keep the tanks and lines okay below freezing. I don't know about down to 0, but you won't hit those temps yet. My guess you won't see anything below high 20s.

JRTJH
09-16-2014, 03:30 PM
You'll be fine as long as you have access to electricity. Trying to run the furnace while dry camping can get very "iffy" with even two good 6 volt batteries. It usually will mean running a generator for 4 or 5 hours daily to be sure you've got enough charge for the night. If you're going to have campground electricity, you'll be just fine probably up until mid December in "da UP, eh"...

If you do have full hookups and it's going below freezing, don't forget to disconnect your water line and close your holding tank valves. They will be the first part of your utilities to freeze.

Oh, and the Tahquamenon Falls "Toonerville Trolley" train trip. The fall colors are spectacular along the Tahquamenon River all the way to the Falls.

Have fun and don't worry about the weather, your RV will be just fine with a little planning.

gearhead
09-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Don't worry about the temps.
Before you move that 5th, go to the store and get a pool noodle. Cut the noodle to fit in the tracks of the shower doors when open. Get it in there good to prevent the glass doors from coming loose, sliding, and shattering. See that little chicken house latch that holds them open? It don't work! My glass man charged $330.
Next go to the store and buy a round wooden dowel rod about 36" long and 1.250" diameter. The drivers side front closet sliding door will not stay latched. Cut to fit and put the dowel rod in the tracks behind the right side door. Before the door bangs around and shatters those mirrors. See that clear plastic latch on the floor that snaps to the left door? It don't work!

pjhansman
09-17-2014, 02:23 AM
Make sure you book ahead. I'm in a beautiful park on Lake Independence in Big Bay, 1/2 hour north of Marquette, but they're kicking me out on Oct. 5th.

The closer you stay to the big lake the warmer it is at night. It's already been below freezing (several times) a couple miles "inland", but so far its been above 40 every night for me.

RovingReiley
09-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice! Pool noodles are already customized even to cover the TV straps. Nam wall on the pipe in the front basement. Gotta protect MY noodle ! 2 -12 volt batteries installed. Ready for those beautiful fall colors.

Kajax
09-19-2014, 03:41 PM
One never knows what weather will bring this time of year may be sweatshirts or T shirt and shorts. For a check on the weather forecast check this site www.uppermichigansSource.com As of today not much color still mostly green.

koko
09-22-2014, 10:32 AM
We just returned from a trip to New Mexico. The Aspen trees in Colorado are breathtaking this year. Could be because there has been so much moisture in the region this summer. The trees are bright yellow with red tips. What a beautiful country we live in!

pjhansman
09-24-2014, 02:01 PM
The colors are coming on strong now....looks like this will be the best weekend, and the weather looks very promising :)