PDA

View Full Version : Two 6V or One 12V ???

Richard6959
09-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Can someone please explain the benefits of having two 6V batteries over the single 12V my unit came with?

:eek:

filmtex
09-16-2014, 01:12 PM
The 6 volts that are talked about here are golf art batteries and have a higher capacity and are much better than most available 12 volts for our RV use. Try the search for one of the many threads discussing this. There's quite a lot to understand.

Festus2
09-16-2014, 02:50 PM
As mentioned, you can do a Google search or do one here on the forum to find out more about 6 volts batteries. They do offer many advantages if you do a reasonable amount of dry camping. If you never or seldom dry camp, I don't think there are any significant benefits to having 6 volts instead of 12's.

One disadvantage not discussed too often occurs when one of the 6 volt batteries goes dead for some reason. You are then left with one 6 volt battery which, by itself, is useless. Having 2 12 volts one would not encounter this problem as you would still have one good 12 battery to rely on.

greengiant
09-17-2014, 05:36 PM
We dry camp 3-4 long weekends(2-4 nights each) a year, so I had been contemplating switching to the two 6 volts next time I need batteries(2 seasons on current ones). Currently I have two 12's running parallel. I haven't done much reading up on it yet, and so I hadn't heard about the possibility of one 6v going dead like that. How often does it happen or does anyone have experience with it happening to them??
Thanks!

Festus2
09-17-2014, 05:59 PM
We dry camp 3-4 long weekends(2-4 nights each) a year, so I had been contemplating switching to the two 6 volts next time I need batteries(2 seasons on current ones). Currently I have two 12's running parallel. I haven't done much reading up on it yet, and so I hadn't heard about the possibility of one 6v going dead like that. How often does it happen or does anyone have experience with it happening to them??
Thanks!

I have been using 2 6 volts for a long time and have never had one of the 6's "die" on me. It's not likely to happen but that is not to say that it won't. I mentioned the possibility of it happening just to inform anyone about a disadvantage of having 2 6 volt batteries. For me, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages and I would not go back to 12 volts.

GMcKenzie
09-18-2014, 05:16 AM
Had one die last season. Was dry camping so it was a PITA. I just replaced the one and was good all this year. They should be replaced in pairs, but mine were not that old so I went with one. Might bite me next year, but we will see.