PDA

View Full Version : Short cord on toaster...solutions?

Furry_people
09-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Our first trip out with the new Bullet, we found that the kitchen outlet located under the upper cabinet wasn't going to work to plug in the toaster as the cord is too short. I'm sure one of you has a better solution than balancing the toaster on top of the coffee maker!

Quad
09-15-2014, 04:49 PM
I just measured and went to the store and bought one with a long enough cord. Could you possible add an outlet to the side of a base cabinet??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsmith0404
09-15-2014, 05:09 PM
I took an old extension cord and built a new custom length cord. Our outside outlet is up pretty high. I do most of the cooking outside and have a table set up below the plug. We have an electric griddle that we use for pancakes and French toast, cord is too short, I built a 2' cord for that use. I have considered just replacing the cord with a longer one, but the griddle is sealed up pretty well so this was easier.

therink
09-15-2014, 05:59 PM
I installed a power strip on the wall at counter height behind the sink and ran the cord to the outlet at the base cabinet. Did this on my current and last rig. This has worked for me as the outlets on the underside of the upper cabinet is annoying.

chartrand
09-15-2014, 07:02 PM
I just use one of the many computer AC cord laying around, and put a normal end on it from Home Depot. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JRTJH
09-15-2014, 07:20 PM
I just use one of the many computer AC cord laying around, and put a normal end on it from Home Depot. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Many computer power cables are 18 AWG and not rated to carry the load of a toaster or hot plate. Make sure if you go this route to check the wire gage. It should be at least 16 AWG and preferably 14 AWG. Just because it's a thick black cable doesn't necessarily mean the wires inside are big enough to carry an "appliance load".....

BirchyBoy
09-15-2014, 08:10 PM
A couple pieces of 2x6 under it. That's what I had to do.

GaryWT
09-16-2014, 04:12 AM
Have never brought a toaster camping but I would think a power strip would be the easiest fix, good luck.

Kristi
09-16-2014, 06:07 AM
We had the same problem with our coffee maker in the passport. Bought a thick butcher block cutting board to set it on. It was stable plus we had a nice cutting board.

Steve S
09-16-2014, 06:53 AM
I had the same issue and I went out and bought a new toaster with a longer cord."bouncey:

ohiocougar
09-16-2014, 11:24 AM
We bought a power strip with a 2' or 3' cord that rests on the countertop

jodrey
09-16-2014, 02:59 PM
The best toaster for us.

Steve S
09-16-2014, 07:41 PM
The best toaster for us.

Details please:)

gkainz
09-17-2014, 08:02 AM
The best toaster for us.

Details please:)

http://www.camp-a-toaster.com/

JRTJH
09-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Another readily available "stovetop toaster" is the Coleman brand that's found at every WalMart sporting goods section. Here's a link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-2000014517-Camp-Stove-Toaster/35395560

Camping World also has several models of this same concept ranging from $2.50 up to about $8.

The only "disadvantage" is that you need to turn the toast about halfway through the cooking process. It stores in an area the size of a dinner plate and cleanup is a simple brush with a paper towel to remove the crumbs.

TDF5G
09-17-2014, 08:29 AM
I've replaced the short cords on a few counter top appliances also. I cut the end off of an extension cord of the same size and connect in place of the old cord.

The only other solution would be to set the appliance up on something, a board or small shelf of some kind.

gkainz
09-17-2014, 09:46 AM
I went thru the gyrations of balancing the toaster on a pan and a plate and a bowl and cups to reach the overhead outlet. About the time I had it high enough to reach the outlet, my wife asked me "what's wrong with the outlet right here on the edge of the base cabinet?" :facepalm:

Wantoride
09-17-2014, 11:56 AM
We found 3 foot extension cords and routed them under the cabinet and down the wall to the counter. We then used the magic mount half circular clips that hold the cord to the wall so it's not dangle ing. My problem was the coffe pot cord was to short. Gotta have the java!

RichR
09-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Use a heavy duty appliance extension cord, they come in short lengths.

Desert185
09-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Another option is to camp near a good breakfast joint. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives app available for your convenience. :D

I do like that stove top burner toaster from Walmart, though. Not so elegant a solution as an electric toaster, but simple, space saving and effective. Often the best option...it is camping, I guess.

Oh yeah, power strip for the kitchen overhead power outlets. Works great.

outwest
09-20-2014, 10:17 PM
If you prefer electric and need/want to save counter space, back in the 70's or so Toastmaster made an under cabinet, 4 slice toaster, model 785A. There's one on ebay for around $125. :eek: I'd probably just go with countertop toaster with longer cord and put in cabinet or under sink when not in use. ;)

JRTJH
09-21-2014, 06:32 AM
Black & Decker still makes the SpaceMaker line of small appliances, all of which mount to the cabinet bottoms of the overhead cabinets. They are available almost anywhere small appliances are sold. I saw them recently at Target. The problem with the toaster in this line is that it requires 20" of "clear, uncluttered space" to mount it under the cupboard. There's not many RV's that have almost two feet of top cabinet without something mounted to it.

Furry_people
09-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks, all! I'm thinking the power strip wins, DH would have a cow if he had to add an outlet.