PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 foot more ???

mikebrls
09-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Will 2.5 foot more make that big of a difference when towing with a Ram 1500 149 wheel base ?
difference between 32.10 ft vs 35.5 ft 600 lb difference in weight

Thank you
mike

x96mnn
09-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Yes it will make it that much worse. But at 32 feet already just go big or stay home lol. I tested a sprinter that was 34feet and I was out of my league. I bought and towed a 30ft, 8000ish pound camper with a ram 1500' had e rated tires and air bags. Towed ok on a perfect day, any wind at all the wife took her own rig. Had a Reese dual cam sway system as well. We had a really bad sway experience one time that freaked her out and compounded the issue so you may be fine. When I drove I was fairly tired after about 3 hrs especially if there was any wind as you were making corrections every so often so we did a lot of short trips.

I am certain there will be a half dozen people who tow more with a 1500 and have no problems at all. Just my experience above.

On a side note, I towed my friends 30ft camper a half dozen times, it weight 1500 pds less and had a husky straight line hitch, never felt it sway once.

bsmith0404
09-15-2014, 05:15 PM
2.5' more sail that can be caught by the wind makes a huge difference. I've gone from 30 to 35 to 40 and have noticed a considerable difference with each one. Personally, I can't believe you are pulling 32 with a 1500. I've always felt when you start getting up over 26-28 it's time for a 2500. JMO.

jtludwig
09-15-2014, 05:38 PM
2.5' more sail that can be caught by the wind makes a huge difference. I've gone from 30 to 35 to 40 and have noticed a considerable difference with each one. Personally, I can't believe you are pulling 32 with a 1500. I've always felt when you start getting up over 26-28 it's time for a 2500. JMO.

What about the people pulling 30ft + passports with SUVs?

mikebrls
09-15-2014, 06:12 PM

I haven't bought anything yet , I am doing research , I am looking at the passport 2810bh ,2920bh and the 3220 bh , I think the 2810 will be fine for us but the Dear wife likes the 3220 , they all weigh under 6040 lbs unloaded with the 2810 being the lightest @ around 5200 then 2920 @ 5400 and the 3220 @ 6040 unloaded , dry hitch weight are between 565 and 625 lbs dry,
To me it seem's like the weight are very close it just the extra 2,5 foot .
I see so many people towing a lot more weight with the same truck or small suv, I just want it to drive good behind my truck with No white knuckles :)

also 32 foot would be including the trailer frame to the truck same with the 35 footer
mike

jtyphoid
09-15-2014, 06:43 PM
My rule of thumb for comfortable towing is to subtract at least 20% off of the tow vehicle max towing rating and use that as my "max". My experience has been that manufacturer max ratings mean "barely acceptable". This has held true for me from a 3000 lb. pop-up to a 15,500 fifth wheel.

Yes, you'll see many people towing at or over the max tow rating, but they may not even realize that towing doesn't have to be white knuckle.

JRTJH
09-15-2014, 07:14 PM
We have a number of members who have made comments such as, "I tow for 3 hours and I'm beat" or "I won't tow if there's any side winds" or "It's so nice at the end of the day to get out of the driver's seat".....

I've found that the common thread in nearly every one of those comments is a "too small tow vehicle and a too big trailer"....

Some of those have upgraded tow vehicles and some have made comments about how much more enjoyable it is to tow with the new truck.

Common thread: I think so......

Phil76
09-15-2014, 09:05 PM
I tow a passport 281bhs weights about 6000lbs loaded. My tv is a durango 5.7 ltr. We have a weight distribution/anti sway rated for 10,000lbs and have not had any white knuckle moments except for emergency manoeuvres on highways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dm1401
09-15-2014, 09:21 PM
In the last 3 years I have personally seen 6 crashes that involved too much trailer for the tow vehicle. For example Ford explorer with 22ft TT, a Chev 1/2 tonne with a 30 FT TT, etc. I am sure that people have successfully towed many miles without incident, but the bulk of accidents I have seen are on the Coquihalla and connector highways in BC Canada. You have higher speeds with some pretty good winds year round. I regularly get pushed around with my truck and TT especially with a empty bed. One of the accidents was fatal for the driver. Luckily the others ones I seen no one was hurt bad. Take it as you will, but if you are pulling a larger trailer with a lighter truck/SUV please be careful, and use and install every safety device you can (Weight distrubiting bars, anti-sway bars etc), the best thing I found for wind is slowing down, some times I'll slow down to say 80KMS/hr and turn on my four ways and hang out behind (Safe distance) from a transport truck if i can find one going that slow. In my opinion power won't be a issue but the trucks weight will be.
Good luck to you and keep safe.

Ken / Claudia
09-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Mikebrls,
I am not attempting to put down any trucks or trailers by saying this. Since you did not get any truck/trailer yet. I see 1/2 tons trucks and SUVs pulling some BIG RVs around here. I have spend to much time on the NW freeways and highways not to notice many things about the way people drive. I can normally drive up to and before passing the rigs guess by if they are gassers or diesels or smaller tow vehicles just by the way they travel. Spend some time on the road looking the combos over as you pass them. You may or may not see patterns as I do here.

bsmith0404
09-16-2014, 04:48 AM

Again, this is just my opinion, but there is much more to the equation than weight. A 30' rv has a lot of surface area that is affected by wind and passing trucks. A short wheel base and light vehicle will have some forms of a tail wagging the dog effect much more noticeable than a larger heavier TV. I have been through it myself with out current 5er when I towed with a 2500 dmax. The 3500 dually handles it so much better. It's not the weight pulling back on the truck that made the difference, it's the side forces

BirchyBoy
09-16-2014, 05:35 AM
I was looking at some Ford flyers on towing capacities and one of the parameters was the frontal area of the trailer. I don't recall seeing that before, but it seems like a good inclusion in the factors. Perhaps the towing capacity should be rated by weight, frontal area, side area and length.

JRTJH
09-16-2014, 05:40 AM

Keep in mind that "some" SUV's are really half ton (even a couple of 3/4 ton) truck chassis with a different body mounted to it. The Expedition and Suburban come to mind. I think (not sure) that the Yukon is also in that group).

There is a significant difference in a "truck based SUV" and a "Unibody" SUV (one that doesn't have an independent frame under it). So, there are some SUV's that are well suited to towing a "properly matched RV" and there are SUV's that are better suited to towing a pop-up camper.

It's the "people involved" that make the choices, not the SUV. Imagine someone going to their closet and putting on a pair of "flip-flops" and going for a "power walk".... Not a really good way to support the feet for such activity, but I see people doing it. I also see people "power walking" with well fitted athletic shoes, {IMHO a much better application), but "to each his own" I can pretty much tell you from my experiences in primary care, that the one with the good shoes won't be in my office at age 70 complaining of foot problems as frequently as the "flip-flop" wearer. I'd suppose that choosing a tow vehicle is somewhat the same, a choice that people make. Some make wise choices, some don't. Some will have future consequences, some won't. That's just the way things go, I suppose.

To address your comment, "What about people pulling 30'+ Passports with SUV's" Some are safely towing and some are "beyond reason" It depends on which SUV, a blanket answer can't address all the issues.

jtludwig
09-16-2014, 06:20 AM
I always love it when I see this picture online :). It's such BS.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/16/fb311e52e0fcd4c2a5ecf4c2a4ec6005.jpg

08quadram
09-16-2014, 06:32 AM
I would not go with the 3220bh. We bought a 2920bh new in 2013. The DW and kids wanted the 3220. It is just too long for a short box 1/2 ton truck IMHO. I had to just say NO, not unless we upgraded to a 3/4 ton truck. DW didn't think she liked the 3220 that much to buy a new truck (its her turn for the next new vehicle) ;). The 2920bh would be at the very upper limit to what I'm comfortable pulling. I have the Equal-i-zer WDH and love it. I have very little sway on the windy days. The Hemi pulls it fine, but If I lived where it was very hilly, I would have a Diesel. Our longest trips are never more than 3 hours, and that might be once a year at most. Normally, an hour or 2.

One of our first times out with the 2920, a chevy tahoe was pulling the 3220. There first time out period with that trailer. Asked him what he thought of pulling it with that Tahoe. He just said the dealer told him, "no problem". He only pulled it a few miles to the campground from his house. Would love to talk to him now after a year or so of pulling it.

bsmith0404
09-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Keep in mind that "some" SUV's are really half ton (even a couple of 3/4 ton) truck chassis with a different body mounted to it. The Expedition and Suburban come to mind. I think (not sure) that the Yukon is also in that group).

There is a significant difference in a "truck based SUV" and a "Unibody" SUV (one that doesn't have an independent frame under it). So, there are some SUV's that are well suited to towing a "properly matched RV" and there are SUV's that are better suited to towing a pop-up camper.

It's the "people involved" that make the choices, not the SUV. Imagine someone going to their closet and putting on a pair of "flip-flops" and going for a "power walk".... Not a really good way to support the feet for such activity, but I see people doing it. I also see people "power walking" with well fitted athletic shoes, {IMHO a much better application), but "to each his own" I can pretty much tell you from my experiences in primary care, that the one with the good shoes won't be in my office at age 70 complaining of foot problems as frequently as the "flip-flop" wearer. I'd suppose that choosing a tow vehicle is somewhat the same, a choice that people make. Some make wise choices, some don't. Some will have future consequences, some won't. That's just the way things go, I suppose.

To address your comment, "What about people pulling 30'+ Passports with SUV's" Some are safely towing and some are "beyond reason" It depends on which SUV, a blanket answer can't address all the issues.

That's true, big difference between 3/4 ton suburban and 1/2 suburban. Also big difference between a 1/2 suburban and a 1/2 ton tahoe. Huge difference between a suburban and a trailblazer!

I had a 1/2 ton suburban Z71, towed my utility trailer and ATVs without any problems. However, because of the weight of the suburban itself, the tow capacity (2004), was 5700 lbs (going off of memory, may not be 100% accurate). I don't think that is too much for a vehicle that large and heavy, but I also don't think you will find many RVs over 28' that when fully loaded with gear will be under that weight, especially when you start adding gear to the back of the TV.

jtyphoid
09-16-2014, 06:59 AM
He just said the dealer told him, "no problem".

I think that this is a big part of why I see so many obvious mismatched combos.

Phil76
09-16-2014, 07:05 AM
I agree that people need to do research and not just agree blindly with the dealer. I read a great article about the "new durango " and I hope my ability to post it is as good as my experience has been haha.

http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/trailer-reviews/dodge-durango-and-cruiser-rv-shadow-cruiser/

I would love to hear people's thoughts

Festus2
09-16-2014, 07:13 AM
I'd suppose that choosing a tow vehicle is somewhat the same, a choice that people make. Some make wise choices, some don't. Some will have future consequences, some won't. .

Mike -
It appears that, in your case, the decision to tow "x" with your 1500 has already been made and you are trying to find something that will be a good and safe match for this truck.

Although the process is the reverse of what JRTJH refers to, the objective remains the same - to make a wise choice without having to worry about "future consequences". Sometimes, making a wise choice means that you have to put aside what your "wants and likes" are.

I hope you and your DW can do this and make a "wise choice". The 3220 may be what you want but is it a wise choice?

bsmith0404
09-16-2014, 07:16 AM
I agree that people need to do research and not just agree blindly with the dealer. I read a great article about the "new durango " and I hope my ability to post it is as good as my experience has been haha.

http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/trailer-reviews/dodge-durango-and-cruiser-rv-shadow-cruiser/

I would love to hear people's thoughts

The final paragraph is what stands out to me and echos what many on this forum have said.

"Pairing a short-wheelbase SUV with a longer trailer takes getting used to due to potential stability issues. Even with the necessary equipment, you may not want to mate these two vehicles, although the Durango is more than up to the task power-wise, and Cruiser RV has done a good job keeping the well-appointed Shadow Cruiser lightweight."

Although they said their experience was a positive one and some of the systems such as the integrated sway control aided in that, they still say it may not be a good pair. Pretty much what most of the people here are saying as well.

mikebrls
09-16-2014, 07:33 AM
So the 3220 is out of the question now , I think I'm going to play it safe with the 2810 bh , it has everything we need , and I think it safe to say my truck will handle better with this TT,

Thank you
mike

JRTJH
09-16-2014, 07:41 AM
One of the "benefits" of modern technology that many "new, first time towers" fail to recognize is the modern vehicle's "anti-sway and staibility control" features. The new owner "remembers" he has these features and they are "supposed" to work to his benefit.... Then, when he gets on a "good grade climb with a sidewind" he suddenly realizes (or remembers) that the way these "technological marvels" work is by using the brakes and reducing engine power to "control adverse reactions"...

So, when he encounters a hard climb, is in 3rd gear and pushing hard at 45 MPH, encounters a sidewind that moves his RV over a tad bit, he suddenly finds that his engine has reduced power and his rear brakes are being applied alternately from side to side. His speed had dropped to 35MPH and he is in second gear at 5000 RPM and despirately trying to get out of the passing lane with two 18 wheelers "chugging up the mountain".... Not a pleasant situation.

Another scenario is on I-70 in central Kansas, headed to Denver, in 5th gear at 65 MPH, all is good, then suddenly encounter the infamous Kansas side-winds and find yourself halfway into the next lane, your vehicle slowing down with that "friendly 18 wheeler" trying to pass as you encroach into his lane. With the engine "spooling down" and the rear brakes "controlling sway" your challenge is to keep the vehicle on your side of the highway while trying to remember how to turn off that "darned" stability control system......

I've been there, got the Tee shirt, the hat and the poster.... It's no fun fighting either of these or numerous other situations that routinely occur when towing. Pairing a light tow vehicle with a "too heavy/too big" RV just sets one up to "enjoy the end of this trip" much more than the trip itself.

There's usually "more than enough" engine to pull it, but there's a significant difference in pulling it and "towing it".....

mikebrls
09-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Thank you , So when towing is it wise just to shut off the traction control all the time or only when in the mountains or with high winds ?

thank you
mike

x96mnn
09-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Mike,

The only other comment I will make, after spending 200k in 8 years. Save yourself money and get what your going to be happy with. I should have bought my 5er at the start and saved up for the proper two truck.

I bought a jeep to haul with then a trailer that I thought matched, 27ft lol, then I needed a half ton, hauled great but then I upgraded to a 30ft and was ok but not great, then bought a dually and it was awesome and upgraded to the 5th wheel and it is still awesome.

What I am trying to say, you will end up with the 32 someday, just how much will you spend to get it there. You can always get it and park it somewhere seasonal

mikebrls
09-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Mike,

The only other comment I will make, after spending 200k in 8 years. Save yourself money and get what your going to be happy with. I should have bought my 5er at the start and saved up for the proper two truck.

I bought a jeep to haul with then a trailer that I thought matched, 27ft lol, then I needed a half ton, hauled great but then I upgraded to a 30ft and was ok but not great, then bought a dually and it was awesome and upgraded to the 5th wheel and it is still awesome.

What I am trying to say, you will end up with the 32 someday, just how much will you spend to get it there. You can always get it and park it somewhere seasonal

Thank you , since we only have one child the 2810 with the wide bunks will do fine for a long time my child is 6 years old , the wife liked the 3220 with 4 bunks and a table but in reality we will never have that many people with us , I had a class A bunk for 9 months and it was always just the 3 of us , you no how it is " the wife always want bigger " :) for no reason other then she like's it , my Ram 1500 ecodeisel is only 4 months old so I will be keeping that for a long time :), I think the 28 will fit our need's great for now and in 12 years when she's 18 and doesn't want to come with us anymore the rear living room model is very nice

Thank you
mike

bsmith0404
09-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Thank you , since we only have one child the 2810 with the wide bunks will do fine for a long time my child is 6 years old , the wife liked the 3220 with 4 bunks and a table but in reality we will never have that many people with us , I had a class A bunk for 9 months and it was always just the 3 of us , you no how it is " the wife always want bigger " :) for no reason other then she like's it , my Ram 1500 ecodeisel is only 4 months old so I will be keeping that for a long time :), I think the 28 will fit our need's great for now and in 12 years when she's 18 and doesn't want to come with us anymore the rear living room model is very nice

Thank you
mike

Just a thought, but something to consider. We used to want a bunkhouse (3 kids), really thought that was the way to go. We ended up with a rear living room model and now have a rear entertainment model. Have never owned a bunkhouse. We finally decided that we wanted the living space over the sleeping space. We went for comfort and usability for everyone. You can set a bed up pretty quick and for you with just one child, a scissor couch would be great. Our daughters sleep on the sofa air mattress, our son has a twin size air mattress that he puts on the floor. Takes about 5 mins for them to set up at night and also to tear down in the morning, that includes inflating and deflating.

mikebrls
09-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Just a thought, but something to consider. We used to want a bunkhouse (3 kids), really thought that was the way to go. We ended up with a rear living room model and now have a rear entertainment model. Have never owned a bunkhouse. We finally decided that we wanted the living space over the sleeping space. We went for comfort and usability for everyone. You can set a bed up pretty quick and for you with just one child, a scissor couch would be great. Our daughters sleep on the sofa air mattress, our son has a twin size air mattress that he puts on the floor. Takes about 5 mins for them to set up at night and also to tear down in the morning, that includes inflating and deflating.

we thought about getting the R L model now but with my daughter being 6 and I think with in the next year or 2 she will have a friend come camping , plus she will have a place of her own since she will be with us all the time . Little girls have a lot of stuff and she will be able to just keep them in her bunk room :)
Less mess for us to clean up every day and night ,
I will agree with things change quickly , last year I bought a $ 150 k rv and sold it in 9 months now I'm getting a $ 25 k trailer :) everyone say's I'm crazy but I have to do what works for me , Friends don't pay my bill's and if they did maybe I could have justified keeping the class A " probably not , I like to only depend on my own finances :)
Thank you for great incite
mike

EcoBullet
09-16-2014, 06:42 PM
I'm pretty late here, but I agree that extra length can be a hazard when it's windy. We had a Bullet 286QBS (quad bunks - 32' 10") and all was well in calm conditions, but heavy crosswinds made for white-knuckle towing with my F-150.

I know what you mean about needs changing:

Our first trailer was a Springdale 252RDLS, a basic queen in front, bath in middle, kitchen/living/dining in rear. Just fine for the 2 of us, but when 2 grandkids moved in and we went camping, it was a PITA making the table and couch into beds, and there was no closet for the kid's clothes.

We bought the quad bunk Bullet and it made for much more comfort and less clutter since the kids have their own closet and beds.

We traded for the Premier 22RB after the kids moved out and we battled heavy crosswinds on a winter trip to Key Largo and back.

About a month after trading for the shorter trailer, the grandkids moved back in. We're thinking about another bunkhouse.

So Cal CPA
09-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Ok so for what it's worth I tow my Cougar 28RBS (apprx overall length 32')all over Southern California and have been up to 6,000 feet in the Sierra Nevada mountains over the Grapevine a few times so far. I have air bags and husky WD bars. No sway control.

it has towed fine anywhere I want to go. The one and only time I felt any real sway was once going over the grapevine when we hit some wind. I don't recall it being that bad of an experience.

maybe I just haven't experienced any real wind yet....

TV is a 2014 Ram 1500 QCab with 6' bed, 3.92, hemi with HD tow package.

Just thought I'd share my experience as the OP is towing with a similar truck.

mikebrls
09-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Thank you, do you no what kind of hitch weight you have ?

So Cal CPA
09-16-2014, 07:40 PM
I think between 800 and 900 pounds. So between the trailer and the family, I don't carry much else in the truck.

Although by getting my butt to the gym and eating better I just increased my carrying capacity by 25 pounds!:D

kellydog98
09-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Please remember, towing isn't the only issue here. We've all seen the too small TV with the large rig. It's the STOPPING that you should be concerned about. The proper TV will allow you to not only pull, but to safely STOP. This is where you will want to be. Good Luck. "bouncey:

bsmith0404
09-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Ok so for what it's worth I tow my Cougar 28RBS (apprx overall length 32')all over Southern California and have been up to 6,000 feet in the Sierra Nevada mountains over the Grapevine a few times so far. I have air bags and husky WD bars. No sway control.

it has towed fine anywhere I want to go. The one and only time I felt any real sway was once going over the grapevine when we hit some wind. I don't recall it being that bad of an experience.

maybe I just haven't experienced any real wind yet....

TV is a 2014 Ram 1500 QCab with 6' bed, 3.92, hemi with HD tow package.

Just thought I'd share my experience as the OP is towing with a similar truck.

Those winds are a calm day in WY, NE, and KS....especially WY. 50 mph gusts are normal. 30-40 mph winds are a nice breeze. When we lived there I threw the kids kites away, it was never calm enough to fly them.

Please remember, towing isn't the only issue here. We've all seen the too small TV with the large rig. It's the STOPPING that you should be concerned about. The proper TV will allow you to not only pull, but to safely STOP. This is where you will want to be. Good Luck. "bouncey:

Stopping??? You just use all 12 brakes, the 4 on the TV, 4 on the RV, and 4 on the vehicle in front of you :eek: