PDA

View Full Version : Need Shocks

rolltide
09-09-2014, 04:15 PM
I have a 2003 Suburban Z71 4x4 which is pulling our 2003 25ft Keystone Cabana. It's time for shocks and was curious from you experienced folk as to which rear shocks to place on the Cabana hauler. Only take it out about 8 times a year with a average of 400 mile distance. Thank You for your expert opinion.

Festus2
09-09-2014, 04:42 PM
I've been towing one thing or another for "a few years" and have never had shocks on anything I've towed - TT and 5ers. Not having them hasn't resulted in any suspension or axle issues or any damage to things inside caused by a harsh ride.

In view of the short driving distance that you travel per trip, I wouldn't bother having them installed.

JRTJH
09-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Festus2,

Methinks Rolltide is looking for advice on which shocks to install on his Suburban, (The Cabana Hauler).

Festus2
09-09-2014, 05:44 PM
:o Whoops. Methinks you're right!

chuckster57
09-09-2014, 07:49 PM
I don't have any recommendation for rear shocks, but Festus2:

My '97 Jayco 323RKS had shocks on each axle. I can't say it really made a difference, still lost a dozen coffee mugs in upper New York highways. Only part of our trip that I had to stop because my cat got car sick.

Desert185
09-09-2014, 08:25 PM
I've used Rancho 9000's, or equivalent earlier versions, for years. They're adjustable and guaranteed for as long as you own the vehicle. I have Bilsteins on an El Camino with an aftermarket sport suspension, and they're hard to beat. My current tow vehicle has KYB gas shocks. They work so well I might do KYB again when needed.

Any of those brands would be a good choice. I generally stay away from Monroe, Gabriel and similar brands.

bchesley
09-10-2014, 05:59 AM
I switched to Bilsteins on my tow rig 7 years ago and 150K+ miles on them and will never buy another brand. They might be $25 more each, but you get what you pay for. I have them on all my daily drivers and TV. I have FOX on my Bronco but it see some high speed activity at time....

hankpage
09-10-2014, 08:22 AM
I went with Bilstein about 50k ago and from day one was not impressed.(rear wheel hop and harsh ride ... DW wanted me to put originals back in. ) After reading this post I just now ordered KYB MonoMax and hoping they will improve the handling. BTW .. I got them from KYB Outlet for $225 total delivered, so I did not have to leave my first born as a deposit like I did with the Bilsteins. JM2¢ .... YMMV, Hank

rolltide
09-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the info.. Leaning KYB. All of you guys expertise is appreciated.

bsmith0404
09-12-2014, 11:58 AM
I've used both Bilstein and KYB, have been impressed and liked both. As mentioned earlier, I stay away from Monroe and Gabriel (except on my son's Cherokee), they are not a good option for heavy loads.

Desert185
09-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info.. Leaning KYB. All of you guys expertise is appreciated.

Of the different KYB shock options the Gas-a-just is a good choice. The MonoMax is a heavier duty version. If you do your own work, shopping around, especially on the internet, can realize some savings.