PDA

View Full Version : Upper Fridge vent blocked off...Why?

buzter
09-09-2014, 01:11 PM
I recently purchased a 2013 Sprinter 316bik. It has a slide in the kitchen so the fridge is vented at the bottom (typical) and then it is vented thru the sidewall at the top, not thru the roof as it is on the slide. I took the cover off last night and there is a piece of tin mounted on the inside covering half the vent. Wondering why this is, it looks to be factory mounted as it is screwed in from the inside. Wouldn't it be better if vent was wide open?? Thanks for all input.

therink
09-09-2014, 02:21 PM
I also have an upper side vent on my fridge and don't recall seeing a piece of tin covering half of the upper inside vent. I am curious to see what others say.
Can you post a photo?

buzter
09-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Here are a couple pictures

therink
09-10-2014, 03:35 PM
I don't have that shield in my vent. My guess is that there may have been warranty claims due to water intrusion and Keystone decided to put a preventative measure in place. I know that I am very careful when washing my rig not to let water from the hose enter the upper vent from ground level.

jtyphoid
09-10-2014, 06:01 PM
The air needs to be directed through the heat exchanger fins on the fridge cooling unit as it rises through the space behind the fridge.

Perhaps the tin is supposed to keep the rising air from sneaking out the vent without going through the upper heat exchanger fins.

rjsurfer
09-11-2014, 12:30 AM
+ 1

That's there to help direct airflow across the fins too help cooling.

I installed some hard foam insulation vertically along the wall of the channel to do a better job of directing the airflow.

Ron W.

Carrnutt
09-11-2014, 06:43 AM
The air needs to be directed through the heat exchanger fins on the fridge cooling unit as it rises through the space behind the fridge.

Perhaps the tin is supposed to keep the rising air from sneaking out the vent without going through the upper heat exchanger fins.

My thought as well.

gearhead
09-11-2014, 06:51 AM
Mine is a bit different. The tin is at the very top of the cabinet and angled outward at the top. I was told that the tin is there to direct the airflow from the fans out the upper side vent. The certified crackerjack Dometic tech at my selling dealer tried to pull the bottom edge of the tin down to prevent heat from escaping around the bottom of it, and accumulating above it.
I would take a pic but it's in the repair shop trying to get the fridge to work.