PDA

View Full Version : electric awning wont extend

xlitehutch
09-07-2014, 05:54 PM
I have a 2014 Keystone Cougar Exlite 29rbk. Love the camper. Bought it in May and brought it home. Hooked it up to a 30amp breaker and all was good this summer. Hauled it out to bow hunting spot and everything works except the awning. I've checked all the fuses in entire camper including the ones in the panel in TV cabinet. Pushing the wall mount button does nothing. No noise from anywhere. Clicking the remote to extend awning makes a clicking sound in the panel above TV but doesn't move awning in or out. I don't know the modle number of the awning but wonder what to try next. The nearest dealership is 2 1/2 hours away and I don't want to have to take it back in. Any ideas?

chuckster57
09-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds crazy, but try to "retract" the awning. If that extends the awning, then it got retracted in the wrong direction.

xlitehutch
09-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the idea but already tried it and nothing. I was looking at the awning manuals from domiticausa.com and saw that there is a safety function that when you have the 7 way plugged into your vehicle the awning is disabled so it won't open accidently while in tow. I wonder if that switch or relay is bad? Not sure which awning model I have so don't know if that saftey function is included on my awning or not. Any thoughts?

randy69
09-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Do you have remote with your awaning?

xlitehutch
09-07-2014, 07:53 PM
When I push the wall mounted button there is no noise or movement of any kind. I check the button and it is working with power coming in. When I push the remote awning buttons I hear a clicking in a panel above the TV in a cabinet. I opened that box up and check fuses (all good). I could hear the clicking noise while pressing the remote button but that's it.

hankaye
09-08-2014, 06:22 AM
xlitehutch, Howdy;

Hate to ask the obvious question ... but I will,
I have a manually operated awning and it has a
mechanical locking latch, Does yours have one
as well and have you unlatched it?

hankaye

kellydog98
09-08-2014, 02:47 PM
You may also have a locking device for the extensions on the side of your rig which may need to be loosened.:banghead: I feel your frustration. I hope you called your dealer or Keystone for their adivice also. Good Luck"bouncey:

randy69
09-08-2014, 04:04 PM
If your locking knobs are lose. Stll nothing check the motor wires on the awning. Just a thought ,the remote has terminals. Check to see if you have loose screws. The remote unit has relays for slides. Awning ect. Find the one for awning, a led light will illuminate. For trouble shooting purpose try different relay.

Bbfd
03-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Rather than starting a new thread I figured I would bump this one as it seems very related. I have a 2015 Fuzion 325 and the rear patio awning will not extend. I have verified power to the switch and I think I confirmed that power is coming out but will check again (trailer is in storage so not close by). Any ideas on fixing the issue myself? Last summer after I took delivery I tried to take off the end caps on the housing of the awning but could find nothing that looked like a loose wire, etc. Which side would I find the motor on and should I be able to spot disconnected wires easily? Unfortunately I screwed with it and unwound it manually thus had to retract as best I could be hand and tie wrap it closed. I do not recall it trying to open when pushing closed so not sure that is the issue.

The obvious answer is that it's under warranty but I called my dealer and the earliest appointment is April 28th and I might have to leave it for a few weeks right when I want to start using it. Rather than start with this route and blowing $50 in fuel to run it to the dealer I am looking for advise on what could be an easy fix. I can fix all my other punch list items myself pretty quick (leaking shower drain, binding of the patio sides, etc) so I want to hit the ground running this spring. Thanks for any advise or insight!

PARAPTOR
03-05-2015, 12:09 PM
I think you may have Dometic Awnings on that rig. If so I would give them a call. I think their customer service rep should be able to answer your questions as well as aid you in some basic trouble shooting while you are waiting for your dealer.

hoffbrew
03-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Rather than starting a new thread I figured I would bump this one as it seems very related. I have a 2015 Fuzion 325 and the rear patio awning will not extend. I have verified power to the switch and I think I confirmed that power is coming out but will check again (trailer is in storage so not close by). Any ideas on fixing the issue myself? Last summer after I took delivery I tried to take off the end caps on the housing of the awning but could find nothing that looked like a loose wire, etc. Which side would I find the motor on and should I be able to spot disconnected wires easily? Unfortunately I screwed with it and unwound it manually thus had to retract as best I could be hand and tie wrap it closed. I do not recall it trying to open when pushing closed so not sure that is the issue.

The obvious answer is that it's under warranty but I called my dealer and the earliest appointment is April 28th and I might have to leave it for a few weeks right when I want to start using it. Rather than start with this route and blowing $50 in fuel to run it to the dealer I am looking for advise on what could be an easy fix. I can fix all my other punch list items myself pretty quick (leaking shower drain, binding of the patio sides, etc) so I want to hit the ground running this spring. Thanks for any advise or insight!

Happened to me too! Ended up being a bad motor, replaced under warranty and works great.... for now.

bobbecky
03-05-2015, 10:05 PM
During the past couple of years, we have seen a number of mobile RV repair techs replacing awning motors in fairly new rigs, and all were Dometic. I think they had a bad run of new style motors that are failing. The danger is, if the motor has failed, there is the danger of the awning opening up as you drive down the road. Of course, if you can secure the awning to keep it closed, then you can tow it, but maybe there is a mobile tech in the area that can make a warranty repair.

Bbfd
03-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I ran out to the storage site today and it's Carefree awning. I confirmed power in and out of the switch and pulled both end caps off but could not get at anything useful without opening it up (which is not possible since there is a class C right behind my spot). At this point I have left a message with a local mobile repair firm to see if they can/will fix. Looks like the awning held to the frame with 6 screws so perhaps I bring the TH home and pull off the awning and take to dealer for repair but need to confirm that will work and what it takes to remove. Absolute worst case I drive the 5 minutes past my dealer and take right to Carefree since I am in Denver assuming they would cover it direct. Not trying to overthink this but have no desire to lose use for a few weeks over something that should be somewhat straightforward. I have zero faith my dealer will get it fixed in a timely manner....after all they should have found this in the PDI (and shame on me for not testing it).