PDA

View Full Version : 120v outlets with USB

jkohler70
09-03-2014, 06:05 AM
Is there any reason I couldn't swap out an outlet in my Passport with one that includes integrated USB charging ports? It would sure be convenient to keep the phones charged without the need for the whole charger. We use one outlet near the bed almost exclusively to keep the phones charged.
I assume the 120v wiring is no different than household, but I've never pulled one.

JRTJH
09-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Most RV 110 Volt outlets are an "integrated unit" in that they outlet has no box, but rather has a "clamp" at each end to hold it into the wall. So, to use a "conventional plug" with or without the USB ports would require also installing an "old work" box to house the plug.

There are "old work" boxes available in "short depth" which may fit some of the inside walls of your RV, but the outer walls (possibly NOT the back wall) are rigid foam filled, so you may not be able to adapt an "old work" box to fit the space. You can install any outlet without a box, but be aware that the "bare 110 volt wires" at the connections may present a hazard.

jkohler70
09-03-2014, 07:14 AM
I actually found something different. It simply plugs into the outlet, converting it to one outlet and 2 USB ports. It extends the outlet from the wall, and I will lose an outlet. Since that outlet usually has two charges plugged in, my net gain will be one outlet.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_369050-63374-WP2UWR_0__?productId=3482323

WaltBennett
09-03-2014, 08:36 AM
I've probably got six AC to USB adapter/charger thingies laying around our house. Never have had to worry about having a built in one - I've used my Kindle charger for my phone, my wife's phone and a couple other things. If I need a different sized USB jack to a device, I just change the cable.

randy69
09-03-2014, 04:29 PM
This may work just plug it in to ac outlet

akacliph
09-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Seems like a lot of work -or a cumbersome end result, not to mention you would need to be plugged in or running a generator, at that point you might as well just continue to use your devices supplied adapter...

I've been in the process of finding something (usb) to connect to the 12v power, just ordered this yesterday-->
http://www.amazon.com/Panel-Charger-Socket-Supply-Motor-home/dp/B00L9O8NXW/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1409931254&sr=8-30&keywords=12v+usb+panel
and plan on connecting to and mounting next to the stereo. I'll post pics when finished, should be first of next week.