PDA

View Full Version : Montana High country

fljl
08-31-2014, 08:01 PM
What actually is Helium Tech? More aluminum, foam, plastic? Comparing the 343RL, and do not see central vac as an option, is that correct? Is it possible to upgrade the tires or the TV? I like neither they come with. Really enjoy reading comments, quite enlightening, thanks to all.(tx)

Festus2
08-31-2014, 09:41 PM
What actually is Helium Tech? More aluminum, foam, plastic? Comparing the 343RL, and do not see central vac as an option, is that correct? Is it possible to upgrade the tires or the TV? I like neither they come with. Really enjoy reading comments, quite enlightening, thanks to all.(tx)

If you read the "hype" about Helium Tech from Keystone ... it is "a way of thinking --- a way of thinking lighter weight". Got that? But wait, there's more! "It is a technique designed to reduce weight but maintain structural integrity, quality and price point." Is that enough for one night?

You may try to negotiate an upgrade in tires of the RV with the dealership when you are talking about price and finalizing the deal. So, yes it is possible to upgrade the tires but at what cost and who's paying for that upgrade?

I'd go to the Keystone website and check to see what are the standard and optional features of the 343RL. Remember that the website and the brochure are not always up-to-date and features can change without much, if any, notice.

gearhead
09-01-2014, 04:04 AM
When you find out what "Helium Technology" really is please let us know.
For now I'm thinking "hot air".

chuckster57
09-01-2014, 04:59 AM
Atwood fridge uses helium.

fljl
09-01-2014, 05:28 AM
The web site does not state 2015 models, but dealers are selling those, so it's that slow to change?

JRTJH
09-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Helium Technology, like Arctic Pack, putting the milk and bread in the back of the store, repackaging a 16 oz item to 14 oz are all "sales gimmicks"...

Helium technology is a "design/engineering" concept to reduce weight. Things like replacing a 1.25" solid plywood floor with a sandwiched 1/4"-foam-1/4" lightweight panel. Replacing 1" MDF countertops with 1/2" MDF and putting a 1/2" glued on edge around the outside so the laminate makes it look like 1" thick MDF. Using stamped metal rafters instead of wood (about half the weight), using foam A/C ducting runs instead of metal, using plastic foam shrouds rather than insulated steel casings for A/C component covers, removing the luan backing from the sides of the RV and gluing the FILON directly to the foam/aluminum studs.

These things "lighten the load" and as long as they function, aren't really noticeable. But, if the "inevitable" should occur, they aren't usually as durable as the "old fashioned way".

It's sort of like taking the frame out from under an automobile, replacing it with light weight "crumple zones" and saying it's "safer" because it's designed to "crumple and protect the occupants". Maybe it does, but there's a "trade-off" in frame strength which creates a compromise when frame rigidity and strength are required (like in towing capability). Separating the axles is another "concept" that allows for lighter tongue weight to prevent "overloading a half ton" tow vehicle when towing a "half ton" trailer and still maintain a better stability/sway control.

Helium technology is a "tradeoff" to allow bigger trailers to weigh less, be pulled by smaller tow vehicles and as long as things "stay perfect" not have any significant problems.

So, Yes, Helium Technology is pretty much "hot air".....

WaltBennett
09-01-2014, 08:39 AM
I also wouldn't worry too much about not having a central vac. We've got one and since it doesn't have a beater bar, it doesn't really pick up any more than a small shop vac. We use a hand-held Shark vac, but there's versions with a stand up handle as well.