PDA

View Full Version : Need a quick answer

lifecamper
08-31-2014, 07:46 AM
I have a 2007 Springdale 5th wheel model 279. I can't find my owners manual. The breaker panel has a 15 A breaker marked GEN. Is that a cut off for the charger? I do not have a factory generator so I am assuming. We all know what assume can do. so I need a definite answer and believe someone on here will know.Thanks in advance(tx)

JRTJH
08-31-2014, 07:56 AM
On my 2010 Springdale 242 and also on my Cougar 27RKS the "GEN" circuit breaker controls the converter/charger. So the "quick answer" is yes.

To check for sure, pull a fuse on your 12 VDC panel, a red LED should light to indicate a "blown fuse". Turn that C/B off and the light should go out if power to the converter (and the battery) are removed. Removing battery power, depending on the circuit you pull the fuse from, can be done with the battery cutoff switch.

lifecamper
08-31-2014, 05:31 PM
What I am trying to accomplish is to turn off the charger when I use my new inverter. I have been told that leaving it connected while using the inverter will complicate things. So, when I say the GEN breaker I thought this might accomplish the disconnect of the charger. When I flipped the GEN breaker the TV went off. It did not effect the 12V systems at all. So I figure I will have to find the hot wire to the charger and put a disconnect in line there. I can't help but wonder why only one 120V circuit was effected. It must just simply be a breaker for that circuit.

hankpage
09-01-2014, 05:17 AM
I may be wrong but the charger/converter should not be doing anything when not connected to shore power. Unless you are powering everything with your inverter it should not matter. Check the back of the breaker ... it is probably double tapped and feeding two circuits .... the converter and some recepticals. Replace with a piggyback breaker to separate the two lines. My breaker was marked "CON/RECPT". JM2¢, Hank

lifecamper
09-02-2014, 12:18 PM
I'll get some time and pull the panel to see if the breaker is double taped. If so I have room for 4 more breakers. Yes I am plugging the inverter into my shore power line so the charger would sense the drop in battery power and try to charge the batteries. I'm told this could cause a problem so will figure a way to disconnect the charger when the inverter is in use.