PDA

View Full Version : Removing top bunk in a Cougar 322QBS

arturob
08-30-2014, 03:59 PM
I have just purchased a 2011 322QBS and want to turn the bunkhouse into an office with the single bed on the floor remaining in use. To do this I want to remove the top bunk and the fold-down bunk. The folddown was no trouble but the fixed bunk has me stumped. I removed the front trim piece but I cant see any fasteners, screws or any other means of support!! Similarly there doesn't appear to be any screws from inside the cupboard that is at the end of the bunk. How can I dismantle the bunk??? Anyone have any ideas??

JRTJH
08-30-2014, 04:26 PM
RV's are built from the inside out, the furniture is installed on the floor, then the outside walls are screwed in place. Often (usually) screws are placed through the walls and into the cabinet frames, bunk frames and the interior vertical wall braces. So, you may not be able to find the screws holding the bunk framework in place because they are holding it from "inside" the outer walls.

This picture may explain a bit better.

chuckster57
08-30-2014, 05:33 PM
We took a set of bunks off to install a washer/dryer. Wasn't a Keystone unit, but like John said, there were some screws put in from the outside. We used a pry bar with a towel under it so it wouldn't mar the panel and then carefully ground off the screws.

arturob
08-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys, crap news nevertheless. It seems likely that you are correct since there are certainly no visible screws. Thinking I might have to take the top skin off the bunk base and then take apart the internal ribs to get rid of the bunk.

arturob
08-31-2014, 09:58 AM
I decided to remove the top layer of plywood on the bunk platform and found all the screws which go from inside the platform into the walls. Removing them was no trouble and after removing the light that was under the bunk the top bunk was easily removed. It doesn't seem to have affected the Cupboard at the end of the bunk so everything worked out perfectly and I now have a spacious office to play with!

Thanks for all the help and good luck with future renos

Peter

trueweb
08-31-2014, 03:11 PM
RV's are built from the inside out, the furniture is installed on the floor, then the outside walls are screwed in place. Often (usually) screws are placed through the walls and into the cabinet frames, bunk frames and the interior vertical wall braces. So, you may not be able to find the screws holding the bunk framework in place because they are holding it from "inside" the outer walls.

This picture may explain a bit better.

That is a frightening picture. Now I want to tour an RV plant so I can be even more amazed at how backward these vehicles are.