PDA

View Full Version : Funny noise & hot tire/wheel

TheBeans
08-29-2014, 07:20 PM
We're just back from our 5th trip since buying this rig and just before we got home something odd happened.

A noise that sounded like a wad of foil rubbing against cardboard (the only comparison that I can come up with!) was loud and seemed to be coming from the passenger side of either the truck or the trailer. It wasn't continual but it did occur about 6 times before we got home to park it.

Once home, we took a look-see at the wheels of both vehicles....no grease exploding anywhere, BUT...the rear axle tires were warm to the touch when compared to the front axel tires. And, the rear axel wheel itself was HOT and couldn't be touched.

So, before we try to tow it to the dealers, anyone have a guess as to what is happening here? And, is it even safe to tow it to the dealership (about 25 miles away).

bsmith0404
08-29-2014, 09:59 PM
sounds to me like the brakes are hanging up. try jacking them up and turning by hand both with connected to the truck and without. you should be able to narrow down witch wheel is causing the problem and if its constant or only when connected. another possibility is the bearings going bad, but that should be constant not intermittent.

Ken / Claudia
08-29-2014, 10:15 PM
I will second the 2nd post. Good advice. If you are not up to fixing or checking it any close auto shop should be able to help. I would be careful pulling it anywhere and the closer to home the better. That heat can and will ruin the bearings and blow a tire. A co worker is alive today due to the bullet proof vest when he was helping a motorist those brakes over heated and the tire blew up as he was looking at it.

TheBeans
08-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the information...we're definitely going to have it looked at and definitely close to home too. I always thought that there was exploding grease involved when bearings went bad, but obviously I was wrong!

JRTJH
08-30-2014, 03:34 PM
In my experience, I've seen as many "dry" bearings as "wet" bearings that fail. Often, with bearing failure there's no grease visible and the front of the hub will actually appear dry and white while the rest of the hubs appear darker, somewhat less "dry" (but not wet) if that makes any visual sense to you.