PDA

View Full Version : Battery not charging

Greenfeet83
08-25-2014, 06:50 PM
I have a 2011 Fuzion 322. We used it over the memorial,day weekend without any problems. When we got home, I plugged it into a 110 outlet just to keep the battery charged. I went out a few weeks ago and nothing would run on 12v. Anything that needed 110 (TV, Microwave, etc) worked fine. But anything that would run on the battery wouldn't work at all. (Lights, front landing gear, etc)
I replaced the battery because it wouldn't hold a charge and was the original battery. When I put the new battery in, everything worked fine. I went out today to get it ready for a trip and back to nothing 12v working. The battery charges if I put it on a battery tender, but in guess the onboard system isn't working.
Any suggestions on cause or fix?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kellydog98
08-25-2014, 07:12 PM
There are alot of little things in the rig which will wear your battery down if you don't engage the battery turn off switch. My 403 Fuzion has switches everywhere, for example, the satalite has an on off in the radio cubby and needs turned off. Your radio continues to track time. Let alone any lights which may have been left on, i.e. in the bathroom where doors are closed. The light under the microwave. In any of the storage areas. A water pump. The outside lights which arn't easily seen during the day. Also, the hot water heater. Lastly, your propane sensor may be the culprit. That being said, check the connections of your battery 'disconnect'. This is a long list and I'm sure you have checked most of them. Good Luck.

Greenfeet83
08-25-2014, 07:20 PM
But if I keep the rig plugged in, it shouldn't draw the battery down to nothing. Any way the on board charger or inverter is bad?

kellydog98
08-25-2014, 07:34 PM
If you can measure an increase in DC voltage at the battery bank when the coach is plugged in, then the battery charge circuit is at least complete and probably working. If the voltage does not go up when plugged in, look for a blown fuse in the charge circuit in the converter/charger. Look also for any electronic disconnect switches that totally isolate the battery system. It’s common on some coaches to employ these during storage or a lengthy downtime. If they are activated while using the coach, it literally takes the batteries out of the system, meaning you cannot charge or discharge them.
Another cause would be an open conductor (broken wire) between the converter and the battery bank. Any type of break in that circuit would result in the same symptom. Any open in the charging circuit could prohibit the converter from charging the bank. Good Luck.

Festus2
08-25-2014, 07:54 PM
But if I keep the rig plugged in, it shouldn't draw the battery down to nothing. Any way the on board charger or inverter is bad?

It shouldn't draw the battery down provided the converter is functioning properly and there aren't any other issues between the converter and the battery - such as a battery cut-off switch.

The battery isn't being charged while you are plugged in. I would start looking for a battery cut-off switch that may have been installed by the original owner. There are also parasitic drains on your battery such as the stereo light, sensors/alarms, etc., that will drain your battery fairly quickly if it is allowed to discharge.

kellydog98
08-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Festus2 pretty much repeated the same advice. Try looking for the fuse at the converter and testing the batteries voltage before and after engaging shore power.

Festus2
08-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Festus2 pretty much repeated the same advice. .

Your advice sounded so darn good I thought I would try to sneak it in but you caught me...... drats!

poncho62
08-26-2014, 03:57 AM
Had the same thing happen on my Coleman popup a couple of years ago....little circuit board on the converter was fried...replaced the converter

JRTJH
08-26-2014, 04:21 AM
I have a 2011 Fuzion 322. We used it over the memorial,day weekend without any problems. When we got home, I plugged it into a 110 outlet just to keep the battery charged. I went out a few weeks ago and nothing would run on 12v. Anything that needed 110 (TV, Microwave, etc) worked fine. But anything that would run on the battery wouldn't work at all. (Lights, front landing gear, etc)
I replaced the battery because it wouldn't hold a charge and was the original battery. When I put the new battery in, everything worked fine. I went out today to get it ready for a trip and back to nothing 12v working. The battery charges if I put it on a battery tender, but in guess the onboard system isn't working.
Any suggestions on cause or fix?

Thanks!!

There are several possibilities, any one of which may be the sole issue or there may be a combination of many.

1. Since you replaced the battery, there's a possibility that you blew the reverse polarity fuses in the converter by hooking the battery up "backwards". Remember, in your RV, black is "hot" + and white is "ground" -. Check the hookup and then check your reverse polarity fuses. They are not a part of the 12-15 fuses in a row, but are off to the side, separate from the fuse panel. They are the red (pink) ones off to the side as shown in the picture below.

2. The battery cutoff switch may be in the OFF position. Some trailers don't even have a battery cutoff switch, but if you do, make sure it's working and turned on.

3. Converter battery charger circuit not working. You probably have a WFCO power center. The converter is a part of that unit and automatically monitors your battery condition and charges as needed. Sometimes the system fails, breaks or simply "fries itself". Use the WFCO troubleshooting guides in your WFCO owner's manual.

4. The 30 amp autoreset circuit breakers mounted on the front of your trailer, just behind the battery box may have corroded and failed. They look like a "little metal box" and usually have a red rubber cover over the wire terminals. If they failed in the open position, your battery is effectively shut off from the trailer wiring. They look like the picture below.

5. It is possible that you bought a defective battery. You say it charges on a "stand alone" charger, so I'd guess that it is good, but sometimes a battery will "take an initial charge" but not be able to charge completely. If the above doesn't find an issue, then have the battery load tested.

6. You could have a wiring problem. I wouldn't think that's the problem unless you were moving things around and changed any wiring connections. Wires are mechanically pretty reliable and don't "just fail" on their own. But you could have a connection that loosened or shorted "somewhere". Possible but not probable.

I think you'll find it's probably #1 or #3 above.

Good Luck.

kellydog98
08-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Your advice sounded so darn good I thought I would try to sneak it in but you caught me...... drats!

I'm just proud to be here with you!

Greenfeet83
08-28-2014, 05:52 PM
The new battery went bad and will not charge. It shows .18 volts. I'm will replace it again, but I'm afraid there is something that is frying the battery. Any idea where the inverter in a fuzion 322 is? Or could it be something else?
When I put a new battery in, everything works fine, but a month later the battery is bad and won't charge. This will be the 3rd battery in 2 months.

HELP!!

Greenfeet83
09-09-2014, 06:09 PM
It was the inverter. It went bad somehow. One on the way! Thanks for the help!

ColoChuck
04-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Yes, I know this thread is a little old. But it was such good advice, especially the pictures, that I thought I would reply.

While I was putting the battery back in I reversed the polarity, (who thought that White would be Ground??). Just a little spark was all at the time, but when I got home and plugged in to AC - you guessed it - the battery was not being charged.

Found this thread and checked the Reverse Polarity fuses. Yep, both of them were blown. Put in new fuses and Presto!! Now the battery is being charged!

Thank you all for such good information.

dwayneb236
04-27-2015, 06:55 AM
It's quite possible I have the same issue. Will be checking the fuses.