PDA

View Full Version : Raptors - Who has the remote control system?

DeadEndCustoms
08-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Alright I'll start from day one. I bought a 3812 Raptor, that had the remote control system, that controls slides, radio, front and rear jacks, security lights, and awning.

During the walk-through, I tried the remote and basically one of the slides didn't work, the radio didn't work, so I asked about and was told the thing was junk and I'd never use it.

I agree, however, about to drop a pretty penny so it needs to work if you want to sell it. So the manager comes out and starts messing with the board, and shorts it out. At this point NOTHING will work, since apparently all of the circuits go through this board, from the main control panel inside the camper.

I work on the road 8 months a year, and purchased this trailer to live in (4th one) on the job, and had to be there in a week, so leaving it for repairs was not an option. I suggested to the service manager to bypass the board with some switches so the functions would work for me until the board could be replaced. This did the trick, but had to be reverse polarity or bi-direction switches.

Anyway, it took 6 weeks for them to get one, the board was already 4 years old and the chip was even older than what was on the burnt board. Their price was $600, and $0 for me since they broke it.

I installed the board, everything works via the remote, sometimes. Usually when using the remote, the breaker inside the circuit board box will trip and have to go manually reset it (in the pass-thru compartment). The radio doesn't work with it as supposed to: Volume up is actually volume down, volume down changes the source. Seek back is volume up, and seek forward I don't remember.

So ultimately they were right, the remote sucks and I don't mess with it anymore...

THE PROBLEM: So after installing the board, electrical interferences trigger the board into opening slides and the awning. Just little bumps, I'll notice the main slide isn't tight, or the awning is out an inch or 2. This was noticed everytime the washing machine was on and it would change directions, I would hear the hydraulics for the slide kick on. This is a annoying, and I worry about damage. When the fridge works off gas, it does the same thing, I get back from a trip and the slides were not tight and the awning was loose again. This didn't happen for the first 6 weeks prior to the remote-circuit, and 900 miles of traveling, and has been consistent ever since.

Anyone have one of these or have any problems with it? I want to get rid of this system and just use the panel, without risk of things working on their own because of this board.

Has anyone removed this? How did you re-wire everything?

kellydog98
08-24-2014, 03:50 PM
WOW and OMG! I would take it all back, ask for the same $ I gave for it and trade. I realize you were in need of the Trailer, but I wonder if the dealer noticed that and dumped a lemon on you?

DeadEndCustoms
08-24-2014, 04:01 PM
WOW and OMG! I would take it all back, ask for the same $ I gave for it and trade. I realize you were in need of the Trailer, but I wonder if the dealer noticed that and dumped a lemon on you?

I don't believe it to be a lemon, but Keystone only used this system for about 8 months, and I have not came across any others that have it yet.. Definitely a keystone board though.

The scary part though is that if the board gets shorted again somehow, I'll have to pull out this wiring harness the dealer made for me to bypass the board.

The old board had a blown trace due to the manager shorting the main fuse area, I repaired this easily and do have a backup that I keep with me, I guess. I imagine it to be a pain to remove this and wire in a ton of relays but I'd rather have that. I thought it would be nice to have the remote working, but its worthless, I haven't found any instance that I would have loved to have it.

randy69
08-24-2014, 07:43 PM
2010 raptor 361 lev my remote works.but don,t use it much. It was wired So the control panel moves slides ,landing or stabling jacks. Only use the remote for tight camping spaces.

DeadEndCustoms
08-27-2014, 06:33 AM
2010 raptor 361 lev my remote works.but don,t use it much. It was wired So the control panel moves slides ,landing or stabling jacks. Only use the remote for tight camping spaces.

Sounds like we have the same thing, the box is hardwired into the control panel and the wires coming from the control panel are too small to carry the current, so the main wires to the components go to the output side of the relays built onto the board.

I do like the idea of being able to operate the front jacks to level it, and see any obstructions of the slides before its too late.

I found a replacement remote on eBay, which could possibly be part of the problem, I think I'll give it a shot, but I still have not been able to find a programming manual, maybe I'll give Keystone tech support a call ;)

randy69
08-28-2014, 06:23 PM
My remote receiver is LCI brand and my cntrol pannel has switches. If you have a LCI. I have the manual. Found it on the web.

randy69
08-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Control pannel hard switches

DeadEndCustoms
08-29-2014, 07:12 AM
My remote receiver is LCI brand and my cntrol pannel has switches. If you have a LCI. I have the manual. Found it on the web.

My control panel is identical to yours.

I wish I had the LCI, I wouldn't be having these issues I don't believe. This is a board made for/by keystone, I will get a picture this evening and upload it.

I'm going to make a schematic to see what can be done. If the main fuse (or trace lol) blows in the board, the main features are useless until repaired or fuse replaced.

It could be as simple as removing the board and splicing the corresponding wires back together, but there was some reason the dealer said I couldn't do that, and had to install relays for each one since the wiring from the control panel was super tiny and just kinda triggered a pulse to the board. I'm gonna get rid of this thing soon. Now that I have 2 remotes and 2 working boards... well they work, just not the way they were intended!

grtoutdoors
09-02-2014, 08:39 AM

We have the same unit and same setup. Works well, but don't use it much!