PDA

View Full Version : Holding Tank Sensors

goldwing6163
08-21-2014, 07:11 AM
I dumped my black water holding tank a couple weeks ago and flushed it out for the first time. all the other times I dumped the tank without flushing it would indicate it was empty after dumping.

Now my tank is always showing full on the gauge. I have since dumped and flushed again and it still indicates a full tank.

any suggestions
Thank You:confused:

Festus2
08-21-2014, 07:41 AM
Holding tank gauges are notorious for being inaccurate - especially the black tank - so your problem is certainly not unique. There have been volumes written here about this very topic and a forum search will provide you with many hours of "entertainment" and information too.

Some things you might do to keep your black "clean" include:
1) keeping plenty of water in the tank. This includes after dumping as well.
2) try using soap and a water softener such as Calgon to add to the water.
3) some have dumped ice cubes down the toilet just prior to departing and after you have added at least 5 gallons of gallons of water. The ice cubes slosh back and forth while traveling and "scrub" the tank walls and remove any toilet paper or other solids that may have got hung up on the sensors.

The key seems to be keeping and maintaining plenty of water with some soap (Dawn detergent is popular) and water softener in the tank before and after flushing.

You can add chemicals to this mix if you like. Despite all of things you might try, your gauge might still give faulty readings.

Don't fret over a gauge that shows "FULL" all the time .... If it does, you're now one of us.

GaryWT
08-21-2014, 08:39 AM
your full sensor is just covered with something and since it is the highest, probably the hardest to clean. once cleaned and fixed, it might only last a trip or two.

berg
08-21-2014, 08:49 AM
The key seems to be keeping and maintaining plenty of water with some soap (Dawn detergent is popular) and water softener in the tank before and after flushing.

Any problems with a foamy bubbling up mess after bouncing down the road?

Javi
08-21-2014, 08:54 AM

None.. unless overfull

Festus2
08-21-2014, 09:11 AM

As Javi indicated, you won't have any bubbling mess. By "plenty of water", I didn't mean right to the top....... a few gallons will do.

goldwing6163
08-21-2014, 09:11 AM
I have the camper parked on some property that i own, so I have no issues on the road.

Thanks for the replies

Javi
08-21-2014, 09:17 AM
I have the camper parked on some property that i own, so I have no issues on the road.

Thanks for the replies

Then drain and flush the tank until satisfied you have gotten everything you can out of the tank... Then close the dump valve and dump a couple of capfuls of Dawn into the tank and fill until you see bubbles rising in the toilet down tube.. Let set for a couple of days (if possible) then dump and flush again... you will be amazed at what was left.. ;)

goldwing6163
08-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the replies

instymp
08-21-2014, 02:31 PM
All mine on all of our campers are always full.
I accept that & forget about it.

Petroboy
08-21-2014, 04:01 PM
If you fill the tank with water and soap, will you see the water in the toilet pipe to show it's full? I wanted to flush my tank out but was nervous to over fill it.

Petroboy
08-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Is that laundry soap or dish soap that people use?

Javi
08-21-2014, 04:14 PM
If you fill the tank with water and soap, will you see the water in the toilet pipe to show it's full? I wanted to flush my tank out but was nervous to over fill it.

I use Dawn dish soap.. And yes two or four capfuls will show bubbles in the toilet down tube as I hold the foot valve open to fill it..

If I'm traveling (that's my preference) then I don't completely fill the tank, instead I only put about a 1/4 to a 1/2 tank of water so that it will slosh as I drive.. even better than letting it sit for a couple of days.

Petroboy
08-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Thank you I'm going to try that.

Scalemaster
08-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Mine would show a third full all the time. I dropped the underbelly and found all the wires loose on the probes. After I tightened them the probes worked perfectly.