PDA

View Full Version : battery life in remote control for slide

rhandyr99
08-21-2014, 05:42 AM
Hi! I wanted to know if anyone else is having problems with the battery life that is in the remote control for the slide outs for the fuzion? Fresh Battery installed July - again in August and now its dead again - not even 20 days and we haven't used it. The battery is $8 for the remote... Any suggestions on to what could be wrong with my remote? The battery is running down while we are not using it... (tx)

Ken / Claudia
08-21-2014, 07:43 AM
My remote will go to sleep after non use just like most devices nowdays. I would say likely bad batteries, if not maybe the remote is not sleeping and I would think that is a replacement item at that point. My last rv did have a remote that failed and that is what happened, it would not turn on any longer at about 6 years old.

poncho62
08-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Poor baby,,,,here is my slide operating device...

http://www.best-b2b.com/userimg/896/911-1/crank-handle-376.jpg

Yeah..probably bad remote

Steve S
08-21-2014, 09:18 AM
So you actually have to go inside and push a button when the remote stops? That sure sounds like an inconvenience, have you contacted Keystone about this issue? Like 8 bucks for a battery is a killer!!:p

JRTJH
08-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Hi! I wanted to know if anyone else is having problems with the battery life that is in the remote control for the slide outs for the fuzion? Fresh Battery installed July - again in August and now its dead again - not even 20 days and we haven't used it. The battery is $8 for the remote... Any suggestions on to what could be wrong with my remote? The battery is running down while we are not using it... (tx)

As stated, the remote is "supposed" to have a sleep program to turn it off after a period of non-use. Have you tried just pushing the power button to turn it off at the end of each use? That would help identify if it's the sleep program malfunctioning or if the remote/battery has other problems. I am as guilty as the next when it comes to remembering to turn it off. I also walk away from the computer and the "sleep program" blanks my computer screen and goes into "energy saving mode". And let's not talk about the times my DW walks around behind me turning off lights...... So, remembering to turn things off is not always easy. It may be (sounds like) your sleep program isn't working.

EBay has replacement remote controllers for my system for $28. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lippert-RV-remote-control-NEW-/121409217927?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&hash=item1c448da587&vxp=mtr

Not sure if yours is the same, but I'm sure an RV dealer can get a replacement for you, but it's probably 3x more than EBay.

Good Luck,

ctpd814
08-21-2014, 10:54 AM
This is the style of remote that I have:

It is rechargeable. I have had it for about 1 1/2 yrs and just charged it for the second time.

rhandyr99
08-22-2014, 05:54 AM
Thanks for your replies, I will just buy a new one on ebay... nearest keystone dealer is 2 hours away...

We store the camper in a tight shed, its nearly impossible to get the walk through door open - so we use the remote to open the slides so we can get in through the back garage door..... with the slides in, you can't enter from the garage area... so its not that easy to just go inside and push a button!
Love my remotes!!!

It can't be the batteries since I have replaced them twice in 2 months - so it must be a bad remote! I will head to ebay and buy a replacement... Thanks so much...

rhandyr99
08-22-2014, 05:59 AM
Is that the remote that came with your camper? I like the idea of a rechargeable battery! Ours looks like the one that someone posted on ebay for sale...

ctpd814
08-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Yes this is the style that came with my unit. Contact Lippert and see if they have a newer style that is compatible with your current system.

hankaye
08-22-2014, 02:03 PM
rhandyr99, Howdy;

If you consider how much energy that poor wee bitty battery
has to use to deploy and retract your slide then it's a wonder it
lasted as long as it did ... :banghead:

hankaye

rhandyr99
09-17-2014, 12:17 PM
I don't believe the remote itself does the work but tells the master device to retract - so since July I have used 4 batteries. This one just went out in less than 2 weeks. That's $40 worth of batteries. We only camped 2 times - the batteries just die not being used... And yes, we turn the remote off... Now what I am wondering could it have anything to do with the fact that my son installed blue tooth to the stereo. I have to wonder if that is the problem - we bought this 5th wheel in Jan. and that battery lasted until June . and the other 3 have expired since June - :eek:

JRTJH
09-17-2014, 12:30 PM
In an earlier post you said you were going to order a replacement remote unit. Is it doing the same thing? or did you not yet get a replacement?

I wouldn't think the Bluetooth would be the problem. Once the remote goes to sleep (times itself out) it wouldn't be using any energy from the battery.

bsmith0404
09-17-2014, 12:41 PM
I get some really crazy ideas sometimes, this one just came to me.....when not using it, why not just remove the battery?

A small inconvenience, maybe, but an easy and cheap option. Plus then you don't have to worry about it freezing/corroding in the remote over winter or long periods on inactivity.

JRTJH
09-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Unfortunately, on the remote he and I have, the two halves are held together with a Phillips screw. To remove the battery we'd have to disassemble the remote. It's not as simple as just removing a pressure tab door and slipping the battery out.....

SAABDOCTOR
09-18-2014, 05:44 AM
I had a remote battery die quickly what i found is when i tossed it into the center console one of my tools would land on the pad and keep the button down and the blue light would stay on.But in your case I bet the remote is not powering down.:banghead:

msp2jxr
09-18-2014, 12:40 PM
I really would like to have two remotes. Since it also runs the landing gear I would like to keep one in the truck. Do they have different frequencies they run on? I haven't price one out yet but mine is the touch screen that is rechargable.

rhandyr99
10-28-2014, 12:14 PM
Bought a New remote and it resolved my problem... Once again I am a Happy Camper! (tx) I didn't even think about looking on ebay... I spent more on batteries than the remote this past few months! ....