PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been asked for a W9 for reimbursement?

bcbbmom
08-20-2014, 07:50 AM
This is insane. We've been trying to get reimbursed for warranty work that was done in May. Keystone sent our check to the wrong people, who cashed it, and now Keystone wants us to fill out a W9 before they send us our check. This company is aging me.

Harley76
08-20-2014, 08:15 AM
My guess would be they are going to write the first check off as a loss on their taxes and need the W9 as proof of who the second payment was made to.

Murphsmom
08-20-2014, 09:29 AM
And then you will get a 1099 and have to claim the reimbursement on your taxes! I would be doing some more phone work on this one. It smells fishy.

BulletOwner1
08-20-2014, 09:58 AM
First, I'm not a tax expert!! But wouldn't it be a refund? If you had to you could prove you had to pay out first in order to get the refund. There's no income here.

mazboy123
08-20-2014, 02:58 PM
is this keystone or the dealer?

what you are saying doesn't make sense. you need to get on the phone.:)

kellydog98
08-20-2014, 03:06 PM
I'm also not a tax expert but this certainly is not an income benefit which needs reported on your end. Without sounding argumentative, I have consulted attorney's who have simply written a letter, (usually one I have constructed), which spells out what you have done, what they did, what happened, and what needs to happen now. It's always amazed me how a letter from an attorney gets noticed quickly. More so than when I sent the same exact letter. (Without some of the wherefore's and party of the first part). Anyway, the letter was never out of anger, it was a tool to get the job done. Good Luck.

bcbbmom
08-22-2014, 11:12 AM
And then you will get a 1099 and have to claim the reimbursement on your taxes! I would be doing some more phone work on this one. It smells fishy.

This is what I was concerned about, as well. My husband said if it becomes an issue, we'll show proof that we paid for the work upfront.

bcbbmom
08-22-2014, 11:13 AM
is this keystone or the dealer?

what you are saying doesn't make sense. you need to get on the phone.:)

This is Keystone. Our dealer is 6 hours away, so Keystone told us that we could go to an independent dealer and have it done. We had to pay for it upfront, and they promised to pay us back. It's been a nightmare.

bcbbmom
08-22-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm also not a tax expert but this certainly is not an income benefit which needs reported on your end. Without sounding argumentative, I have consulted attorney's who have simply written a letter, (usually one I have constructed), which spells out what you have done, what they did, what happened, and what needs to happen now. It's always amazed me how a letter from an attorney gets noticed quickly. More so than when I sent the same exact letter. (Without some of the wherefore's and party of the first part). Anyway, the letter was never out of anger, it was a tool to get the job done. Good Luck.

I like your idea, and I'm pretty sure we will need to consult an attorney in the future if we have to deal with these people. My husband told me to go ahead and send them the W9, but we're both feeling uncomfortable about it. Honestly, though, since we've bought this thing in March, not much has gone right with it.

So Cal CPA
08-27-2014, 07:59 PM
We'll I am a tax expert and have no idea why they want you to fill out a W-9.

As mentioned previously a W-9 is given to vendors for purposes of issuing 1099's at end of year. or they could just be doing as policy.

How much is said check? Either way keep your receipts for what you paid out of pocket in case they do issue you a 1099. If they do issue you one my suggestion on your return is to include it, then reverse it out and include an explanation as to why it is not income and include receipts and any other docs to show that it is a reimbursement check rather than income. If you get a 1099 and simply decide not to report, as above, you will automatically get a letter from the IRS asking for money.

Good luck. PM me with questions.

bcbbmom
08-29-2014, 01:14 PM
It's for a little over $1200. Thank you for your advice. I'm really hoping it won't be an issue. Btw, I'm still waiting on my check from Keystone, even after giving them what they want. I've honestly never had so much hassle from a company.

Yosemitebob
09-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Ask them why they want a W-:rolleyes:9?

bcbbmom
09-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Ask them why they want a W-:rolleyes:9?

I did, and their answer was "It's our new policy". Anyway...still waiting on my check.

Bob Landry
09-08-2014, 12:41 PM
That doesn't pass the smell test. If Keystone sent the first check to the wrong people and they cashed it, then Keystone needs to go after them for theft. Their problem. Meanwhile, they owe you money.
If you paid out of pocket for a warranty repair and have a receipt to show for it, then they owe you that amount. It's not a payment or income, it's reimbursement. How Keystone handles their internal accounting should not have any effect on you. You are simply owed $1200 with no attached hassles.

edstep
09-18-2014, 02:57 AM
I just went through the same thing, Keystone told me in Aug rules were revamped so they can track their expenses

At this time if you want to get paid you have to go by their rules. First of all W9's are for a business

I dont know how they can misuse a gov form for their own use

jsmith948
09-18-2014, 04:01 AM
Have you considered contacting Good Sam's help line? If we are to believe what is printed in Trailer Life magazine, they are quite effective in helping folks resolve disputes with RV manufacturers, vendors, etc.

edstep
09-18-2014, 04:41 AM
I guess my biggest concern is giving out my SS again, for something that shouldnt be. Im sure they will protect all our data:banghead:

Murphsmom
09-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Have you thought about contacting the IRS help line and asking them about the legality of issuing a W-9 for a refund?

bcbbmom
09-19-2014, 02:49 PM
That doesn't pass the smell test. If Keystone sent the first check to the wrong people and they cashed it, then Keystone needs to go after them for theft. Their problem. Meanwhile, they owe you money.
If you paid out of pocket for a warranty repair and have a receipt to show for it, then they owe you that amount. It's not a payment or income, it's reimbursement. How Keystone handles their internal accounting should not have any effect on you. You are simply owed $1200 with no attached hassles.

I agree, but honestly, nothing has felt right with this company since we bought this thing in March. I did finally get my check a couple days ago, thank God! I have record of all communication with them, and receipts showing every dime I've paid, so I'm covered if the IRS contacts us.