PDA

View Full Version : Rodents

howshow
08-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Wondering how you deal with rodents (mice) etc when you are not using your RV, we got a brand new TT this summer stored it in a storage place, as we do not have space at our townhouse and would you know it got a mouse living it in now :(

we had the pest control guys come out they put down 5 traps & still nothing in any of them. I went around the underside & taped up all entrances but by really this TT is pretty well sealed.

any advice.

thanks

Festus2
08-17-2014, 08:49 PM
howshow -
If you stored your RV in a barn or in a farmer's field, you can expect frequent visits from mice and other 4-legged critters. Keeping them out in this kind of mouse-friendly environment may not be possible. To reduce the problem, don't leave any food - except those in cans or sealed Tupperware - in the RV.
While you think you may have all of the holes blocked and sealed, don't rely on that as the only means of protection. Mice can and do get in through the tiniest opening -- especially the ones you haven't sealed.

Not sure what you used to seal the openings, but you might try using steel or bronze wool which has been sprayed with expanding foam. I've heard that the foam isn't much of a deterrent as the steel wool. Some people have tried all sorts of things like fabric softener sheets, various commercial products and an assortment of grandpa's favorite mice repellants.

Me? I use steel/bronze wool in every opening I can find and mouse traps strategically placed. Swiss cheese and Adams Peanut butter work great --- on the mouse trap that is.

suza
08-18-2014, 07:56 AM
Ditto what Festus2 says.

Besides not leaving any food, we also remove all possible nesting material. Last winter, I left the sheets on the mattress and the mice chewed the sheets. Not only are rodents attracted to food, but they also seek a warm nesting place with handy nesting material.

From analyzing the "mice sign" it appears the main egress points are where the water supply lines enter the RV. We stuff these with metal scrubbers and set a trap nearby. We always catch the little buggers - it's just a constant battle that has to be fought. Don't forget to check your traps regularly. Dead mouse smell is hard to eliminate.

Also, when I open the door to air out the RV, I put the stairs in so the mice can't climb in through the door. Don't want to make it too easy. Maybe let a cat spend a few nights. Don't forget the litter box, or you'll have other issues :p

On a side note, storing an RV in a closed structure probably wouldn't make any difference. Our car is parked in a sealed garage and we have to change the cabin air filter numerous times because mice build nests in it. So frustrating, especially when replacement filters are $12 each!

JRTJH
08-18-2014, 08:22 AM
Ditto what Festus2 says.

Besides not leaving any food, we also remove all possible nesting material. Last winter, I left the sheets on the mattress and the mice chewed the sheets. Not only are rodents attracted to food, but they also seek a warm nesting place with handy nesting material.

From analyzing the "mice sign" it appears the main egress points are where the water supply lines enter the RV. We stuff these with metal scrubbers and set a trap nearby. We always catch the little buggers - it's just a constant battle that has to be fought. Don't forget to check your traps regularly. Dead mouse smell is hard to eliminate.

Also, when I open the door to air out the RV, I put the stairs in so the mice can't climb in through the door. Don't want to make it too easy. Maybe let a cat spend a few nights. Don't forget the litter box, or you'll have other issues :p

On a side note, storing an RV in a closed structure probably wouldn't make any difference. Our car is parked in a sealed garage and we have to change the cabin air filter numerous times because mice build nests in it. So frustrating, especially when replacement filters are $12 each!

A piece of hardware cloth (Metal screen with about 1/2" square holes) cut to fit and placed over the cabin air filter will effectively stop them from getting to the filter material. I've had to do this on all my ATV's, tractors and power equipment.

suza
08-18-2014, 09:44 AM
A piece of hardware cloth (Metal screen with about 1/2" square holes) cut to fit and placed over the cabin air filter will effectively stop them from getting to the filter material. I've had to do this on all my ATV's, tractors and power equipment.

Thanks for the tip on the cabin air filter. We haven't had a problem with our ATVs, tractor, etc (knock on wood). Our mice seem to prefer Mazdas! The auto tech also told me to put the air system on recirculate before parking the car. Probably would work if I could remember to do it! Seems like everything we have has to be "rodent proofed" :banghead:

kellydog98
08-18-2014, 10:59 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aSk79YcuIRQ

I made this mouse trap which works beautifyl. You don't have to check it as often. And one of these does the trick, instead of several traps. Plus you don't need a trap in your storage. This one does it all.

Steve S
08-18-2014, 11:09 AM
I just take peel and stick tiles, peel the backing off, turn them upside down and lay them on the ground with cheese in the middle. It'll catch mice and rats:)
Sometimes a few might get smart and gnaw their legs off but they never get too far as they don't make crutches that small.:thumbsup:

JRTJH
08-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Steve,

Using tiles with "stickyback" is a great idea, but I couldn't wrap my imagination around a mouse with crutches.... So.......

Hmmmmm, Maybe that would make it easier to employ "slow cats" http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/free-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Steve S
08-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Steve,

Using tiles with "stickyback" is a great idea, but I couldn't wrap my imagination around a mouse with crutches.... So.......

Hmmmmm, Maybe that would make it easier to employ "slow cats" http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/free-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Or just use some warfarin and catch one of these little buggers like I did the other day"bouncey:
It's been sneaking around the chicken coop so I ended its life:wave:

Desert185
08-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Mice don't like mothballs. Just scatter a few near any possible access points.

dcotton4
08-21-2014, 03:39 AM
Bounce drier sheets spread around inside the camper works well. Mice hate the smell of them! Nephew had terrible time with mice getting in his camper over winter and he tried this trick and had no mice the next winter!

winjamersport
08-25-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm told that Bounce fabric soft sheets
work, I have not had any issues using this method.

ncgrl1
08-26-2014, 06:21 AM
How often do you need to replace the dryer sheets?

parkgirl
08-27-2014, 09:17 AM
The dryer sheets help, but I have had mice poop right on the sheets, so don't expect them to be eliminated... We have our trailer parked on a seasonal site. During the summer months I replace the sheets every couple of weeks and only once so far have I seen a poop. When we're at the trailer there's never any sign of mice and we've tried an electronic trap and never caught anything. We have a dog so that might scare them away.
Over the winter though, there were a fair number of mice turds left on the dryer sheets under our kitchen sink and in the drawers. I'm sure it would have been much worse without the sheets.

suza
08-27-2014, 03:04 PM
Our auto tech told me Irish Spring soap bars situated under the car will help deter mice from nesting in the ventilation system. According to him, mice find their way in and out by scent and the strong smell of the soap masks their trail. It worked for a while, in our garage, but, like anything else, it loses its effectiveness when the smell wears off. Dryer sheets would probably do likewise. Frequent replacement is needed. Dryer sheets are the less expensive option, but I do think the Irish Spring is more "odiferous".

When we store our 5th wheel for the Winter, I move things I think might attract mice (such as towels and things they can use for nesting material) in the overhead compartments. I don't see how they could possibly get in there. But, they are mice and it's amazing the places they can go :banghead:

howshow
08-28-2014, 08:33 PM
howshow -
If you stored your RV in a barn or in a farmer's field, you can expect frequent visits from mice and other 4-legged critters. Keeping them out in this kind of mouse-friendly environment may not be possible. To reduce the problem, don't leave any food - except those in cans or sealed Tupperware - in the RV.
While you think you may have all of the holes blocked and sealed, don't rely on that as the only means of protection. Mice can and do get in through the tiniest opening -- especially the ones you haven't sealed.

Not sure what you used to seal the openings, but you might try using steel or bronze wool which has been sprayed with expanding foam. I've heard that the foam isn't much of a deterrent as the steel wool. Some people have tried all sorts of things like fabric softener sheets, various commercial products and an assortment of grandpa's favorite mice repellants.

Me? I use steel/bronze wool in every opening I can find and mouse traps strategically placed. Swiss cheese and Adams Peanut butter work great --- on the mouse trap that is.

Great thanks everyone for the tips and advice, i used black tuck tape everywhere! on the under body of the RV, i also had the pest control come out and set up traps in the RV so far the last two weeks have been good no sign of mice droppings or pee so i think it has died somewhere in the RV now or a trap (which i will check this weekend)

Festus2 i keep it out at pitt meadows airport, lots of birds of prey around.

Also i just purchased a weed wacker and saturday morning im going to whack down the long grass all around the RV at least ten feet back that way any critters will have to deal with the open skies and eagles above:banghead:!

Festus2
08-28-2014, 08:48 PM
howshow -
Well, you're doing all the right things and hopefully you won't have any more issues with these critters.

With winter (Did I say "winter") on its way, mice would love to be inside where they can chew and nest so you might make more frequent visits and give the unit a thorough inspection and check for them.

howshow
08-29-2014, 07:43 PM
yep i will be making more visits as its only two mins down the road, were also taking all food and nesting materials from draws right now and storing them in containers and putting under the bed or elsewhere. ill keep you updated.....

suza
08-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Be aware, storage containers are not always rodent-proof. We had something chew into heavy duty Rubbermade totes with camping gear stowed in our garage a few years ago. You might get lucky, but know there's that possibility of invasion. Check them regularly to catch any persistent creatures.

And those 5 gal storage buckets - same thing. Maybe metal or Kevlar would do the trick :D

Way Of Life
12-03-2014, 10:19 PM
I have been using a product called Fresh Cab. The results have been AMAZING and have yet to encounter a mouse or rat. Eco-friendly as well so it's safe around your pets and children.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/24774347?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=83&adid=22222222228018395253&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40471576232&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78362912792&veh=sem

Susido
02-25-2015, 08:12 AM
As someone who uses an RV on a farm this is a subject I've got lots of experience with. First off a little research on the Internet will show you that mice laugh at moth balls and dryer sheets and enjoy listening to those electronic rodent repellers. And a mouse will never voluntarily leave once they find a home, they will soon die if they are relocated.

Now on a farm you generally find mice most everywhere and there are only two realistic methods of ever getting completely rid of them - warfarin and cats (preferably not at the same time). I now have a couple of very good mousing cats much of the year and leave bait over winter and this has so far eliminated all signs of mice from enclosed buildings.

For some reason my old 5th wheel never had any mice in it for about 8 years but I grew complacent and stopped leaving bait out and last winter it was overrun with them. They got into nearly every single compartment and any package they could chew through. Now I've left bait in about 5 spots and no sign of them this winter - yet anyway. I never did have much luck seeing where they could be getting into the trailer or sealing up any gaps. The new 5th wheel I just bought will go on a sloped gravel base with poly vapour barrier so that might help make it less attractive to rodents.

The best mouse story I have is the time I went to BBQ something. I had not used the BBQ for all of a week and I lit the flame to pre-heat without lifting the lid. Came back a little later to a strange smell and mice fleeing down the legs of the BBQ. Discovered the bottom of the BBQ was home to multiple generations of (highly excited) mice who had nearly filled it with nesting material. Felt rather bad about that and it seemed like that meal didn't taste quite right. From now on I'll lift the lid before lighting it.

suza
02-25-2015, 08:24 AM
The best mouse story I have is the time I went to BBQ something. I had not used the BBQ for all of a week and I lit the flame to pre-heat without lifting the lid. Came back a little later to a strange smell and mice fleeing down the legs of the BBQ. Discovered the bottom of the BBQ was home to multiple generations of (highly excited) mice who had nearly filled it with nesting material. Felt rather bad about that and it seemed like that meal didn't taste quite right. From now on I'll lift the lid before lighting it.

This gives me an idea: Find an old BBQ (everyone has one lying around), leave any food residue, supply it with nesting material, and you have a mouse trap. You will have to check it regularly and dispose of the mouse colony before it gets too well established. If you're lucky, they will find this more attractive than your precious house on wheels.

We had the same experience, but fortunately opened the lid before lighting. Something bigger than mice (rat, squirrel, ?) had built a nest, made predominately of garden twine, right in the middle of the grate :eek: