PDA

View Full Version : Proper roof sealant.

justlkn
08-17-2014, 11:48 AM
While doing a roof inspection I noticed the end seams where the front cap joins the roof have deteriorated and need redone. Looking at it I cannot determine if it is a silicone type product or is this maybe non leveling roof sealant. Whatever it is what does everyone recommend using to repair this particular seam? Thanks,
Glenn
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/18/jabyqe2e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/18/u6yty8um.jpg

Festus2
08-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Silicone should not be used on your rubber roof. Many folks use Dicor products for use on EPDM. This sealant comes in a self-leveling and "regular" consistency. For that kind of repair on a flat roof, I'd use the self-leveling type and leave the other Dicor for vertical surfaces -- it won't run. Both types come in a tube so it can be applied with a regular caulking gun.

Be sure to clean the surface thoroughly before applying your sealant.

justlkn
08-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks Festus2. I figured I could use the Dicor products but wanted conformation from the pros. Just when looking at those areas it doesn't seem to be the same stuff as Dicor but I wanted to replace it with that.

therink
08-17-2014, 12:58 PM
If it is in poor condition, I recommend removing the old sealant first using a heat gun and a plastic putty knife (carefully). As others said, dicor self leveling sealant is the correct product to use. Also, it would be good to clean the areas very well with a scrub brush and detergent, careful not to let water into and gaps in the sealant. I would also wipe down all areas with acetone on a rag.
If you want the joint to remain sealed for a long time, I recommend Eternabond tape for the front and rear seams in lieu of the Dicor caulk. More expensivebut worth the peace of mind.

chuckster57
08-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Sikaflex would be a great alternative to Dicor, but a good cleaning and reseal would be my choice.

bg71361
08-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Holy blurry Batman nice pictures!

justlkn
08-17-2014, 11:22 PM
Lol. Sorry. They sure looked good when I took them without wearing my glasses!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk