PDA

View Full Version : Using proper waste products

glenalt
08-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Good afternoon, when I picked up my new to me 5er I asked about the proper toilet products to use in the black water tank. One of the workers who has been camping for over 15 years said he used any products that are septic tank safe and that Angel Soft was his preference. Does anyone have any experience with using this type of toilet tissue and will it do any harm? It sure is cheaper. Thanks.

I'm pretty happy with my new, 2010, 34' Cougar with 3 slides.

Desert185
08-12-2014, 12:40 PM
A long time RV owner/friend just told me he has always used Costco toilet paper that is septic safe and has never had a problem. Makes sense, if you think about it, as it just floats in the tank and is expelled out a big pipe into a septic system (that it was designed for). Why pay a buck a roll for "RV TP"?

gepaine
08-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Good afternoon, when I picked up my new to me 5er I asked about the proper toilet products to use in the black water tank. One of the workers who has been camping for over 15 years said he used any products that are septic tank safe and that Angel Soft was his preference. Does anyone have any experience with using this type of toilet tissue and will it do any harm? It sure is cheaper. Thanks.

I'm pretty happy with my new, 2010, 34' Cougar with 3 slides.

I just use whatever will hold up my pants. :)

Festus2
08-12-2014, 01:25 PM
I just use whatever will hold up my pants. :)

Does "whatever you use" work? Single ply? Double ply? Biodegradable? Safe for septic tanks? Economical?

Now, where can I get some of this "whatever"?

(You're a cheeky boy....Go to your room. Should I correct the title or leave it a while longer to allow more "fun"?) :D

glenalt
08-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Does "whatever you use" work? Single ply? Double ply? Biodegradable? Safe for septic tanks? Economical?

Now, where can I get some of this "whatever"?

(You're a cheeky boy....Go to your room. Should I correct the title or leave it a while longer to allow more "fun"?) :D

Hey, lets have some more fun!!

Desert185
08-12-2014, 01:47 PM
I was tempted, but in an uncharacteristic moment of restraint I managed control. :cool: Glass houses and all that...

Festus2
08-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Hey, lets have some more fun!!

You're a great sport! I'll give it (your "waist" title) a short while longer then we can all return to normal and no longer have to restrain ourselves - unlike a certain member.
;)

RichR
08-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Put some in a glass of water, if it breaks down/dissolves it is okay to use. The word is waste not waist, threw me for a moment. "bouncey:

Festus2
08-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Yes, we know what it should be ----- we're just having a bit of "fun" with his "waist".

RichR
08-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Yes, we know what it should be ----- we're just having a bit of "fun" with his "waist".

Oh Duh, I get it. It blew right through. :o

Festus2
08-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Oh Duh, I get it. It blew right through. :o

Rich -

No comment. :D

GaryWT
08-12-2014, 03:45 PM
We use Scott's at home and the camper, no issues. Have never used RV TP.

therink
08-12-2014, 03:46 PM
I use the same as we use at home. As long as it passes the wipe test, it passes the tank test.
I have never had an issue with any paper I've used. Just don't put baby wipes down the hole.

gcracker
08-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Biggest thing I tell people is to make sure you flush with enough water. The first time we ever spent a week in a borrowed 5th wheel we had a plug in the toilet pipe. We were being very stingy with the water and the paper got plugged.

bsmith0404
08-13-2014, 03:09 AM
With three children who cannot seem to grasp the sense of "A lot of water" when they flush, I've been through enough clogged pipes to last a lifetime. Now I keep the black tank closed when we park, fill it about 1/4 full right off the bat with some tank chemicals. When it gets full, I dump it. The extra force from a full tank helps the system dump better. Plus the extra water I start with in the tank breaks down the paper. Haven't had a problem since I've switched to this processes.

Desert185
08-13-2014, 06:59 AM
My mom always told me to chew my food really well. Now I know why. :cool:

SAABDOCTOR
08-14-2014, 10:13 AM
man I wish i could desolve my "WAIST" in water:D

outwest
08-14-2014, 07:31 PM
My experience is that septic safe isn't RV safe. Septic has a lot longer for the paper to break down. Parents used Charmin and always had RV tank problems. Some time ago I tried using Cottonelle, but had problems with it. Then I learned about the water in a jar test, having been using Scotts single ply ever since, and no problems. I did notice at Walmart a different version of Scotts that said "RV Safe" (over in their automotive area) but I've never tried that version. Wouldn't surprise me if it's just different packaging, but it might be made differently.

Also helps to remember to put the formaldehyde in the toilet. ;)

Javi
08-15-2014, 03:36 AM
Although I've never had a problem with any toilet paper we've used in my holding tank, I've often wondered at the validity of using a single ply toilet paper... seems like one could easily poke holes in that theory... :D

Carrnutt
08-20-2014, 06:08 PM
seems like one could easily poke holes in that theory... :D

LMAO That's my worry