PDA

View Full Version : power switch for ceiling lights

jujustad
08-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Hi,
Could someone tell me what the reasoning is behind having some of the ceiling lights controlled by a switch on the control panel? I have a light very close to my kitchen vent and would like to use it to power a MaxxAir fan but it is one of the lights that is powered through the panel. Doesn't that mean that if I tap into the power from that light the switch on the control panel will need to be on? It seems that wouldn't be the best thing if we're dry camping. Am I correct?
Thanks!
Julie

Jim & DJ
08-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Our ceiling lights are controled by the wall switch and also each light has a built in slide switch.

Bob Landry
08-12-2014, 10:42 AM
I don't know what trailer you have or what your layout is, but when I replaced the kitchen roof vent with a Fantastic Fan, I was able to snake wires from the opening to the wall behind the microwave. The wiring for the 12V cabinet lighting was there and I was able to tap into it for the fan. That gives me 12V hot for the fan all the time without having to turn on a light.

Dave in Va
08-14-2014, 04:26 AM
I don't know what trailer you have or what your layout is, but when I replaced the kitchen roof vent with a Fantastic Fan, I was able to snake wires from the opening to the wall behind the microwave. The wiring for the 12V cabinet lighting was there and I was able to tap into it for the fan. That gives me 12V hot for the fan all the time without having to turn on a light.

With ours, using the converter was the easier option. It had an empty circuit, so I snaked wires up thru the pantry to the vent. :thumbsup:

outwest
08-14-2014, 08:39 AM
Hi,
Could someone tell me what the reasoning is behind having some of the ceiling lights controlled by a switch on the control panel? I have a light very close to my kitchen vent and would like to use it to power a MaxxAir fan but it is one of the lights that is powered through the panel. Doesn't that mean that if I tap into the power from that light the switch on the control panel will need to be on? It seems that wouldn't be the best thing if we're dry camping. Am I correct?
Thanks!
JulieNot knowing the layout, I can't explain the reasoning. I know with one trailer we had, the cabinet with the power center was just inside the front door (such that you could access it without fully entering the trailer), so having the light switches in the same cabinet kinda, sorta, made sense.

Yes, if you tap into a light that is controlled by a switch, that switch will need to be on in order to run the fan. Depending on the layout, it may be better to snake some 12V wiring through the roof to your 12V fuse box.

jujustad
08-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone. The control panel is right inside the door so I guess that makes a little sense for turning on the lights. I guess I can hope that when I take out the kitchen vent there will be 12 volt wire, that is not switched, just waiting for me :)
I have a Cougar 24RKS and I have tried to figure out how to get that on my profile so answers to questions could be more model specific...sorry

dirt33
08-14-2014, 02:28 PM
I have a Cougar 24RKS and I have tried to figure out how to get that on my profile so answers to questions could be more model specific...sorry

Towards the top left of any page on the forum, click on "User CP". Then, click on "Edit Signature". Anything you put in the signature box will then display on the bottom of future posts (but not previous posts you have made).

jujustad
08-14-2014, 06:25 PM
thanks Dirt33...I put my info in so here's hoping that it worked