PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a Tow Question... 2010 F150 towing a 238ML

NGAcamper
08-10-2014, 09:29 AM
My tow vehicle... 2010 F-150 half ton with standard 4.6, 3.55 and factory trans cooler... I already have a class 3 hitch and electric brake controller... the owners manual says 5400 lb towing capacity with 500 lb tongue weight....with step bumper.....REVISED>>>> my frame hitch has 600 lb/6000 lb capacity, or 1,100 lb tongue weight / 11,000 max gross weight with a load distributing hitch... see decal below.....

We are considering a 2015 Ultra Lite 238ML
Wt 3711#
Carry Cap 1689#
Hitch 495#
Length 24'11'

We plan to travel the southeast and occasionally in the edge of the north GA mountains... Plan to upgrade the truck in the future but not for the next 3 years.... I pulled a loaded 17' V-nose utility trailer and large Uhaul trailers fully loaded from northern VA to GA several times without any issues.. other than 9 mpg and a little strain on steep hills....

Do we have enough truck to handle this travel trailer? Appreciate any feedback......

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_139362_0_e3dacf211cf04f1e444c19249b7c974c.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/dwaine/media/IMG_8012.jpg.html)

chuckster57
08-10-2014, 09:46 AM
When you look at the weight stickers on the trailer, the tongue weight is before adding batteries or propane.

Is the 500 LB limit with or without weight distribution.

NGAcamper
08-10-2014, 10:06 AM
When you look at the weight stickers on the trailer, the tongue weight is before adding batteries or propane.

Is the 500 LB limit with or without weight distribution.

I checked the manual and all it says is the step bumper has a 5000lb capacity with a 500lb tongue weight capacity.... I have a Class 3 hitch installed to the frame....

chuckster57
08-10-2014, 10:18 AM
If that's the case, I think your trailer is going to exceed that. Good news is you can install a reciever that bolts to the frame and can give you the capacity you need. You can get a class 4, that should allow 10,000 lbs and 1,000 LB tongue weight with the proper equipment.

That doesn't mean your truck can tow that much, but the hitch will handle it. There are several places that can install it for you.

Shouldn't cost that much, and your RV dealer may be able to give you a break on the cost/installation included in the deal if you buy there, the dealership I work at does.

BirchyBoy
08-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Take a look a the hitch as well. Mine isn't a Ford, but it says 500lbs or 1000lbs with weight distribution on the hitch. Keep in mind the tongue weight of 495# is without any weight distribution. Can you ask the dealer to let you haul one to a CAT scale to see what the weight is with a good WDH setup?

This link takes you to Ford's towing guidelines. It has some additional information for you:

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/10FLMrvF150sep09.pdf

chuckster57
08-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Deleted...

NGAcamper
08-10-2014, 10:32 AM
I think I might have enough hitch....maybe this is a class 4???.......... I found this decal on it.... but do I have enough truck?

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_139378_0_41434eb75af933734b0e7652933c6056.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/dwaine/media/IMG_8014.jpg.html)

chuckster57
08-10-2014, 10:35 AM
BINGO!! Just make sure you use the weight distribution style. I can't recommend any specific brand because I tow fifth wheel and have no real world experience with them.

NGAcamper
08-10-2014, 12:03 PM
BINGO!! Just make sure you use the weight distribution style.

Thanks..Do you think I have enough truck to pull this TT?

We made several trips from VA to GA with a 6x12 Cargo trailer, app. 2000lb trailer loaded to the max.. most likely another 2000+ lbs... without any issues.. also pulled a 7x16 cargo loaded most likely 4500 lbs with the chasis mount hitch....My guess is if it can pull those, it should be able to handle the TT as long as we stay out of the mountains....I plan to use a load distributing hitch on the TT....

chuckster57
08-10-2014, 01:12 PM
I don't usually get into "enough" truck when it comes to HP/ Torque. It depends on how much the trailer is loaded. As long as the weights are within the trucks limits your probably okay.

My truck is rated to tow 11,500 lbs. I towed that much across the country in'09 and even though I had no issues, I moved to my present unit that weighs 8,500 lbs. As long as your TV is rated for it and your comfortable with it, I say go for it.

Ken / Claudia
08-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Next look at the max. wt. load on the tire side wall of your truck tires. See if they can carry the weight, the rear tires most important. By the fed sticker you photo'ed looks like you have P tires and the truck will handle better when pulling with LT tires and maybe a little rougher when empty. By what I am saying is normally the LT tires are available in more plys and can carry more weight than P tires. That can help the rear of the truck not to sway while pulling a trailer. Your asking good and important questions, better to learn on here than on the freeway.

NGAcamper
08-11-2014, 06:52 AM
We don't want to purchase this TT if it is going to be unsafe with this tow vehicle.... Looks like max load is 2271 lbs on the tire....You think we are in range? I realize this isn't the "ideal" tow vehicle and the TT we are looking at is at the upper limit of the tow capacity... I think the Uhauls that I pulled and my 7x16 utility trailer when loaded each weighed in the range of the TT or more... but I could tell that there was some strain on steep hills.

Our plan was to use this truck at least two-three more years in the flat part of the southeast and if we are still "happy" with our TT, since it will be time to replace the vehicle, we will choose another truck with a much higher tow capacity. We started off looking at a TT that weighed 2600 lbs but decided it was cheaply made and the wife really likes the Keystone 238ML...

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_139488_0_b624f82f4c1b8127f496cb4acb99a920.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/dwaine/media/IMG_8015.jpg.html)
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_139488_1_9b5ffad5d78e49764bbc1584a40c32ca.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/dwaine/media/IMG_8016.jpg.html)

badercubed
08-11-2014, 08:06 AM
I towed a skid steer that weighed more than that a bunch of times a year with the same truck, except for it had a factory tow package. I did add E rated tires to the truck however and would suggest the same. You will find it will tow fine for a few years to get you until you are ready for a new truck. You are not going to set any land speed records, but you will feel comfortable at 65 on a highway and 55 on the 2 lane roads.

Just my opinion.

tech740
08-11-2014, 12:47 PM
I have an '11 f150 with 3:55. I tow a travel trailer that is 6300lbs all over Michigan. You will have no problems. I haven't used that motor but I would image it will do just fine. If you pit tires on before you retire the truck I would definitely agree with the post above about E rated tires they make a world of difference.

NGAcamper
08-11-2014, 02:49 PM
More information.....

Travel Trailer

Shipping weight is 3711 lbs...

Carrying capacity 1695 lbs...

Hitch weight 495 lbs...

Tow Vehicle
2010 Ford F-150 4,963

GCWR 10,400

GVWR 6,450

Front GAWR 3,150

Rear GAWR 3,500

Max tow capacity 5,400

I think I'll be ok as long as I pack light and stay out the mountains...

Festus2
08-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Perhaps I am missing something here but could someone tell me what, if any, difference it makes to the payload of a truck by (a) towing only in areas that are "flat"; and, (b) putting E-rated tires on the TT or the truck?

There's not much you can do to increase the payload other than to somehow reduce the weight of the truck and its cargo. If you exceed or are close to exceeding the limits of the truck, what does putting E rated tires on it help to increase its payload? You may be "safer" in the sense that you may be less likely to have a blowout but not because the payload has been improved.

Towing only on "the flats" or not going into hilly or mountainous areas doesn't change the truck's payload. The truck may not have to work as hard and it would be easier on the brakes to name two benefits but the payload is what it is -- going up and down or staying on the level - doesn't change that.

To suggest to someone that switching to E rated tires or just tow where it's flat will somehow increase what the truck can tow doesn't seem like sound advice to me. While it may be good advice for other reasons, it isn't for this particular one.

tech740
08-11-2014, 04:16 PM
I only suggest E rated tires because it changes the way the vehicle feels while towing. These tires actually weigh more so technically they reduce the am i nut of weight you could add t ok the truck incase you ever had to cross a scale. I recently upgraded mine to E rated and it is well worth it.

Flintlock
08-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Try plugging your truck and trailer numbers in this Purdue spreadsheet - magically it will calculate it all for you

https://ag.purdue.edu/extension/ppp/Shared%20Documents/FifthWheelTruckTrailerCalculator.xlsx

Flintlock
08-11-2014, 04:22 PM
The previous was the 5th wheel

this is the conventional one

https://ag.purdue.edu/extension/ppp/Shared%20Documents/ConventialHitchTruckTrailerCalculator.xlsx

NGAcamper
08-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Perhaps I am missing something here but could someone tell me what, if any, difference it makes to the payload of a truck by (a) towing only in areas that are "flat"; and, (b) putting E-rated tires on the TT or the truck?

That was my suggestion based on previous experiences of excessive shifting when towing my loaded 7x16 utility trailer up long hills traveling back and forth from Virginia to Georgia. The trailer and the payload was comparable to the TT I'm looking at... It was my thought that since we have plenty of places we would like to see in GA, SC, FL, and TX we could visit all of these places first and then venture out west once we purchase a new truck with greater towing capacity.

I would think that a tire with "truck" rating and stiffer sidewall would be better suited to heavier loads than a tire with a "passenger" rating...but I'm no expert... I'm just seeking advice....

Javi
08-11-2014, 04:43 PM
All I got is to wish you good luck...

kguess
08-11-2014, 04:57 PM
I just returned from a 2000 trip to the Florida Keys. TV - 2003 F150/ 3.55 / 4.6. / 4 speed transmission Lariat . Added brake controller, transmission cooler. Camper 2011 Keystone Hideout 19' / 4100 lbs. empty/ WD hitch and sway bar. Was I the fastest rig , no. Did I slow on hills ( Florida's I 75 has some), yes. Will I upgrade my truck, probably but I love my present truck. Guys on this sight said let it rev when needed. Didn't use cruise on hilly areas ( did on flat roads), and never drove with overdrive on. All in all, a good road trip. Got about 9-10 mpg towing.

Festus2
08-11-2014, 05:39 PM
I would think that a tire with "truck" rating and stiffer sidewall would be better suited to heavier loads than a tire with a "passenger" rating...but I'm no expert... I'm just seeking advice....

You don't have to be an "expert" to recognize that a truck used for towing or hauling should not have car or"passenger" (P) rated tires on it and if it does, they should be replaced with a proper "truck" tire - usually an "LT".

NGAcamper
08-11-2014, 06:05 PM
You don't have to be an "expert" to recognize that a truck used for towing or hauling should not have car or"passenger" (P) rated tires on it and if it does, they should be replaced with a proper "truck" tire - usually an "LT".

Maybe you misinterpreted my comment.. if so, I apologize, but I came here looking for advice....As far as your comment "you don't have to be an expert...." those P rated tires are the same ones that came on my vehicle from the factory. I made many trips towing on those P rated tires... The local Ford dealer said that those tires were adequate for towing within the factory specs or Ford wouldn't have put them on the truck... maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment... I don't know whether I'm being called stupid for not knowing that the tires should be replaced.... no big deal... I learned something here and am thankful for any helpful comments.

I just returned from a 2000 trip to the Florida Keys. TV - 2003 F150/ 3.55 / 4.6. / 4 speed transmission Lariat . Added brake controller, transmission cooler. Camper 2011 Keystone Hideout 19' / 4100 lbs. empty/ WD hitch and sway bar. Was I the fastest rig , no. Did I slow on hills ( Florida's I 75 has some), yes. Will I upgrade my truck, probably but I love my present truck. Guys on this sight said let it rev when needed. Didn't use cruise on hilly areas ( did on flat roads), and never drove with overdrive on. All in all, a good road trip. Got about 9-10 mpg towing.

Thanks... we have similar trucks, same engine too... I feel mine is adequate for towing the TT once I change to LT tires....

Festus2
08-11-2014, 06:35 PM
The local Ford dealer said that those tires were adequate for towing within the factory specs or Ford wouldn't have put them on the truck... maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment... I don't know whether I'm being called stupid for not knowing that the tires should be replaced.... no big deal... I learned something here and am thankful for any helpful comments.
Thanks... we have similar trucks, same engine too... I feel mine is adequate for towing the TT once I change to LT tires....

NGACamper -
I guess we're both misinterpreting each other......but I just wouldn't feel safe towing with a truck that had "passenger" tires on it - in spite of what a dealer would tell me. But that's just me.

Glad to hear that you will be replacing them with an LT tire.

NGAcamper
08-11-2014, 06:40 PM
NGACamper -
I guess we're both misinterpreting each other......but I just wouldn't feel safe towing with a truck that had "passenger" tires on it - in spite of what a dealer would tell me. But that's just me.

Glad to hear that you will be replacing them with an LT tire.

No problem... Guess you can't believe everything they say in that Ford Service Dept... that's another reason I'm here to learn from the mistakes made by others....thanks...

chuckster57
08-11-2014, 06:40 PM
My boss just scored some nice tires for his F250. Took them down to the local tire store and they refused to mount them as they were "P" not LT rated. Go figure...

Javi
08-12-2014, 01:57 AM
My boss just scored some nice tires for his F250. Took them down to the local tire store and they refused to mount them as they were "P" not LT rated. Go figure...

They cannot mount tires of lesser load rating than were originally on the truck... More yes.... less no

NGAcamper
08-12-2014, 03:00 AM

But they would have installed these "P" rated tires on my half ton F-150 since my F-150 left the factory with "p" rated Michelin LTX tires.... Just found this on Tire Rack's page....

The Michelin LTX A/S is a durable, premium, highway all-season light truck tire designed to meet new vehicle Original Equipment requirements. The LTX A/S was developed to provide particularly smooth, even wear, low noise and good fuel efficiency, even in demanding commercial applications.

The LTX A/S features Michelin's advanced all-weather light truck tread rubber compound molded into a five-rib, closed-shoulder tread design to blend light snow traction with a quiet ride. On the inside, LTX A/S tires feature two steel belts (Load Range D and Load Range E sizes add a third steel belt) to enhance durability and tread puncture resistance. The LTX A/S features Michelin’s Stress Equilibrium Casing design to distribute stresses evenly through the tire’s footprint to provide even wear and long mileage.

I guess I have a Load Range D tire since it starts with a "P".... but the load rating is 109T and it has the third steel belt found on load range E tires... I have a good light truck tire....but not a heavy duty tire like an E rated tire with stiffer sidewalls....?

chuckster57
08-12-2014, 04:44 AM
They cannot mount tires of lesser load rating than were originally on the truck... More yes.... less no

Yeah. I just thought you would get a laugh..he didn't look at the sidewalls when he bought them.

NGAcamper
08-12-2014, 04:56 AM
Yeah. I just thought you would get a laugh..he didn't look at the sidewalls when he bought them.

Looks like he got a good deal on a light truck tire.... but not a E rated tire...I've got 40,000 miles on these... and when I replace them, they will get the E rated tires....

chuckster57
08-12-2014, 05:05 AM
Yup..so are you closer to deciding which trailer your going to get?

NGAcamper
08-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Yup..so are you closer to deciding which trailer your going to get?

The wife says lets get the Keystone Passport Ultra Lite 238ML... so I'm happy that I don't have to look at any other brands or models...now it's shopping time...and figuring out whether or not to pull money out of an investment account that earned 16.5% the last 12 months, or just finance for 4 years...not planning on purchasing until after labor day.

chuckster57
08-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Sound good! Post pics when you get it, your going to love the RV lifestyle.

NGAcamper
08-12-2014, 07:57 AM

We did the tent thing when were in the 20's...pop up when we were in the 30's and 40's... stayed in hotels ever since and tired of it...

Razor303
08-13-2014, 09:16 AM
My wife and I LOVE our Bullet, and love camping, I'll be glad to get the new truck broken in so we can go camping again... getting ready for a long road trip soon..

NGAcamper
08-14-2014, 02:20 AM

Will do..... thanks for the help...

SAD
08-14-2014, 02:43 AM
Dawt10characters

NGAcamper
08-14-2014, 06:03 AM
Finance it.

Pulling money out of a high-earning investment account is foolish.

Borrowing money is cheap right now. And tax deductible.

I was thinking the same and a monthly payment on a short term loan would be no burden at all.....thanks...

chuckster57
08-14-2014, 07:15 AM
The interest paid on a self contained unit may qualify for tax deduction.

NGAcamper
08-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Quotes range from $15,556 to $24,500 for the same exact model... It pays to shop....

RV Wholesalers Lowest quote, $15,556 but they want to add $295 dealer prep but offering another $2,000 discount if we finance with their bank (special terms... 10% down finance 12 years but can make extra payments... I asked for 4-5 yr and they wanted to raise interest rate to 7-8% rate or more.. when I asked for a payment for 5 yrs, with 10% down, the corresponding payment equaled a 14.5% rate...not sure what other gimmicks they have...offered to put more down, they said interest rate goes up!!! You know that saying if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.....

Walnut Ridge Family RV Sales, Indiana came in with 2nd lowest quote... $16,474, no gimmicks, no dealer prep, with equalizer hitch installed...but would rather drive to Florida and continue on to Key West for a week.....

Lazy Days in Seffner FL started out over $20,000 but came down to $16,995 with weight dist hitch installed (Blue Ox Sway Pro 750)... narrowed it down to Walnut Ridge or Lazy Days.... but hope to get Lazy Days down to same price as Indiana dealer... I prefer driving to FLORIDA so its most likely I'll be driving to there in the fall to make the deal... They give you two free nights on their property to try out the unit to find any bugs that didn't get caught during the PDI....AND they agreed to do the PDI before we sign the finance contract... and they quoted 4.9-5.9%, based on credit score for any term we choose 1-12 years....

All of the dealers in my home state of Georgia came in at $17,995-$19,995 or more...????

kellydog98
08-14-2014, 05:16 PM
You may want to look into financing it against your house, if your home is paid for, because the interest you pay will be tax deductable. We did this with a Truck and Camper combo. All paid for now, but would do it again. I see friends buying cars this way also. Just my 2 cents.

NGAcamper
08-14-2014, 06:38 PM
You may want to look into financing it against your house, if your home is paid for, because the interest you pay will be tax deductable. We did this with a Truck and Camper combo. All paid for now, but would do it again. I see friends buying cars this way also. Just my 2 cents.

I can finance it as little as 2-3 years without bothering the house or high interest fund... 4.9% is ok with me...if it were a 50K or more purchase, or for many years, I might do that....

Javi
08-15-2014, 01:36 AM
I believe you will find that the interest paid on the note and the sales tax on the original purchase are both deductible. The qualify for the interest deduction the RV has to meet the requirement of being designed for living, i.e. bed, kitchen, plumbing... it is in effect a second home purchase.

mavagrand
08-15-2014, 05:05 AM
"Lazy Days in Seffner FL started out over $20,000 but came down to $16,995 with weight dist hitch installed (Blue Ox Sway Pro 750)... narrowed it down to Walnut Ridge or Lazy Days.... but hope to get Lazy Days down to same price as Indiana dealer... I prefer driving to FLORIDA so its most likely I'll be driving to there in the fall to make the deal... They give you two free nights on their property to try out the unit to find any bugs that didn't get caught during the PDI....AND they agreed to do the PDI before we sign the finance contract... and they quoted 4.9-5.9%, based on credit score for any term we choose 1-12 years...."

I have bought two campers from Lazy Days and highly recommend them. They will treat you right, you'll get a thorough PDI and quick follow up to fix any items that may need repair. Additionally, they have a great campground and are close to most of the tourist areas in Florida. For what it's worth.

badercubed
08-17-2014, 07:24 AM
Why not go with the best deal you can and refinance within 30 days? Doesn't seem right to pay more just for their interest rate when there are plenty of 3rd party loan companies out there.

NGAcamper
08-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Why not go with the best deal you can and refinance within 30 days? Doesn't seem right to pay more just for their interest rate when there are plenty of 3rd party loan companies out there.

The one with the best deal (only offers this deal if you take their higher interest financing) has the highest interest rate, and has a clause that requires you have to keep the loan for at least 12 months, it's also 500 + miles north of me... doesn't make sense to me to travel 1000 miles in a direction that I don't want to travel to be stuck with the loan for 12 months... where is the savings? I feel sure I can get Lazy Days to match the deal that Walnut Ridge is offering... as far as interest rates, the one in Florida has the lowest...