PDA

View Full Version : Front Cap Fade The Final Solution (for me)

Harley76
08-10-2014, 08:04 AM
This has been a 3 month ordeal for me but I did get Keystone to pay for most of the cost to have it repainted. My Cougar is a 2012 and of course is out of warranty. After a couple of phone calls to Keystone my request was denied to have it repainted, I also tried to appeal the decision but was also denied. Feeling frustrated and disappointed, I turned to the only source left available to me, the BBB of Indiana. I sent my letter on a Monday, got a call from Keystone on Wednesday! They offered me $750. plus all the decals for free. I accepted the offer and it ended up costing me $275. out of pocket, I was happy with that and was glad to be done with it. Now what happen at the dealership, well that's another story in itself. If you would like my exact wording to the BBB this is it.

Front cap damaged due to manufactures defect, excessive fading.
Vin # xxxxxxxx

It is common knowledge that Keystone has had problems with front caps. It is well documented in the Keystone Forum and the warranty department has confirmed this. It is a known product defect but Keystone is rejecting my claim because I did not discover it during the one year warranty period.

From talking to the warranty department and researching the Keystone Owners Forum I have found out the following:
1) There was a problem with the manufacturing of front caps causing them to fade.
2) The problems associated with this manufacturing defect were first noticed with the dark colored caps as mine is.
3) Keystone has painted or replaced many of these caps well after the warranty period.
4) This defect is particular to my model year and has since been corrected by Keystone.

I have performed my owner maintenance responsibility by having the RV professionally waxed one to two times per year.

mijones
08-12-2014, 06:12 AM
What color was your front end cap? I have a 2014 Cougar High County that has a grey front end and it is fading already ! The rv is only 14 months old. I know it is out of warranty but I sincerely hope they fix this problem as I am sure they are aware of this manufacturing defect. I submitted numerous pictures to my dealer who is sending them to keystone. Awaiting a response. Did your dealer repaint your front end?

Harley76
08-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Mijones, same as yours, mine is the High County too, and yes my dealership repainted it

concours
08-13-2014, 06:02 AM
Ours wa 16 months old when we asked for assistance which was declined they would not even supply the decals, last Keystone product for us

Harley76
08-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Concours, If you haven't already fixed it, give the BBB a try, Keystone responded within 2 days to my claim. My cougar a 2012 was further out of warranty than yours. good luck!

Timothy54
08-28-2014, 07:03 AM
The front nose of our Cougar fifth wheel which is brown has been fading very badly for the last 2 years. I've spent a lot of time and energy trying to keep it clean but it appears to be a losing battle. Saw one this winter in Yuma that was almost white!

Snider
08-29-2014, 01:44 PM
I have a2012 cougar 328qbs with the same problem. Dealer did nothing and I haven't had I time to fight it. Very disappointing and would not buy another keystone product.

Harley76
08-30-2014, 06:50 AM
Timothy54, Snider, It is very disappointing. It really does amaze me that Keystone is so reluctant to fix this problem... If I were driving through a campground and saw a fairly new camper with a washed out front cap, I know I would think twice about purchasing that brand of camper. They should face the facts, their best form of advertizing is other campers strolling through a campground looking at other campers! We all do it! I would be willing to bet it accounts for more than 50% of their sales.

Yosemitebob
09-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Timothy54, Snider, It is very disappointing. It really does amaze me that Keystone is so reluctant to fix this problem... If I were driving through a campground and saw a fairly new camper with a washed out front cap, I know I would think twice about purchasing that brand of camper. They should face the facts, their best form of advertizing is other campers strolling through a campground looking at other campers! We all do it! I would be willing to bet it accounts for more than 50% of their sales.

And to add to that, their name is across the front. At least on mine it was. I picked mine up the first day and it was faded. I made it part of the deal that it would be fixed. The dealer got Keystone to give most the money, and the dealer did another portion, and I opted for the best paint job with a clear coat and added some more. But when it came to the decals I refused to let them put the name back on. Yes, you are right many of us look at the front end of the 5th wheels while driving or taking a walk, but they'll have to look a lot further to see what I have. I never did get mad, just even :D

JRTJH
09-01-2014, 08:05 PM
This is not intended to be a reflection on the people who are concerned with getting their faded front caps repainted, but when I'm driving down the road, or in a parking lot and see a Dodge, or GM, or Ford, or ???? that is 2 or 3 years old, with faded paint, crazed headlight lenses, broken tail lights, obviously worn tires from being misaligned, a door lock punched out, a window that rolls up halfway and is crooked in the tracks, or half the grill missing, I don't think, "Man the manufacturer really must not care." Rather, I think, "Gee, I wonder if that driver ever thought about taking care of his vehicle."

I reflect on this, not to upset anyone, but just to indicate that not "everyone who walks around a campground" will think to blame Keystone for a faded front cap. Honestly, most people that I camp with probably wouldn't give it a second thought.

Harley76
09-04-2014, 08:28 AM
YosemityBob, I wish I would have thought of that...I like your way of thinking!

Harley76
09-04-2014, 08:53 AM
JRTJH, If you were to walk by my campsite you would see a VERY well maintained camper and truck, even the campsite would look good. The only problem you may or may not notice would have been 2-3 feet of fade on the front cap. I truly doubt anyone would think I don't take care of my vehicles. My original point is, if I were thinking of purchasing a cougar and walked past my campsite and noticed the front cap, I for one would really like to talk to the owner about it. And no you haven't upset anyone, we all see things differently :)

mijones
09-04-2014, 04:35 PM
What color was your front end cap? I have a 2014 Cougar High County that has a grey front end and it is fading already ! The rv is only 14 months old. I know it is out of warranty but I sincerely hope they fix this problem as I am sure they are aware of this manufacturing defect. I submitted numerous pictures to my dealer who is sending them to keystone. Awaiting a response. Did your dealer repaint your front end?

finally received an answer from Keystone and they say this is not under warranty. This will be the very last Keystone product for us. 15 months old and looks like CRAP

SAABDOCTOR
09-05-2014, 08:11 AM
yep I would never buy a trailer because the decals fade!! Is that all that's wrong with it? The hood emblems peeled on my 90 Saab (still have it). bought an 03 Saab wagon. Gee they peeled too car runs great. I'll just replace the emblems. Get my point? Yep it looks like crap but if the trailer is everything you wanted with out any other issues. It would be cost effective to remove the decals and repaint it ratherf than buy a new camper. Don't let fading decals ruin a camping trip! Just like the shuttle 2 million parts supplied by the lowest bidder.:D

Yosemitebob
09-05-2014, 09:10 AM
No Barney, it was not the decal, it looked good. It was the paint, like someone left on the wax before whipping it off

Richard6959
09-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Just purchased a Laredo, with the front cap. What should I be using to keep it clean? Should it be waxed?

Yosemitebob
09-05-2014, 10:40 AM
If you follow your owners manual, you will be good. I believe it says to wash and wax/polish twice a year depending on where in the country you live. Please don't quote me, I would have to get the manual out to be sure.

jsmith948
09-07-2014, 06:01 AM
Those of you swearing off (or at) Keystone products because of front cap fade: be advised it is not just Keystone. We are camped across from a Big Country 5er with a severely faded gray front cap. Just sayin'

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

chuckster57
09-07-2014, 06:11 AM
Those of you swearing off (or at) Keystone products because of front cap fade: be advised it is not just Keystone.

Yup. We have some Fun Finder units on our lot with the same issue.

Pappydude
09-18-2014, 06:41 PM
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10855&highlight=Front+fading

Don't know if the above link will work but it references the difficulty I had with the front end cap fading on my 2012 Cougar 318SAB - it was eventually repainted however getting the decals was another story. Fortunately I lucked out and the guy who installed mine had a sign shop - and made the two I was sent from the factory that were incorrect......good luck to all those who have this 'fading' problem.......it's really frustrating!!!

Harley76
09-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Thanks Pappydude, I had the same problem getting the correct decals from Keystone too, took 3 try's to get it right. The front-cap repaint only came after getting the BBB involved.

Desert185
09-20-2014, 09:05 AM
This might be a reasonable solution.

http://www.skinzwraps.com/truck-graphics-wrap.php