PDA

View Full Version : Tire Care

alexsbuddy
08-08-2014, 06:02 PM
I am getting ready to purchase new tires for my TV and since this will be a significant investment I am trying to figure out what product(s) to use for polishing the tires. I've seen a lot of posts on other forums saying "don't use silicon products", "don't use petroleum based products", "don't use this or that", but not much recommending what TO USE. I want to find something that will keep the tires in showroom condition but will help keep the rubber in good condition. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Desert185
08-08-2014, 09:10 PM
The info I've seen from the tire manufacturers specifies soap and water.

outwest
08-08-2014, 09:40 PM
It, of course, doesn't keep them "showroom shiny", but I use white tire covers to help prevent sun rot and keep the rubber in good condition.

bsmith0404
08-09-2014, 03:31 AM
Water based rubber rejouvenators. I personally use backfire and pinnacle products. You can put on multiple coats to add shine, I like the matt finish one coat gives, they aren't shiny, they look like new tires. Tires weep, that is the brown you get on the surface, a tire rejouvenator replaces some of the creams/oils that are lost, keeping the rubber soft and flexible, it's like skin lotion for your tires. When they weep enough of the oils, they get dry and cracking, just like your skin.

Desert185
08-09-2014, 08:08 AM
This may give the OP some ideas:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/23779-stop-using-tire-dressing.html

Ken / Claudia
08-09-2014, 10:00 AM
I just clean them while washing the trailer, the tires will be needed to be replaced in 5-7 years no matter what you do.

CWtheMan
08-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Here is what one of the big guys has to say.

http://www.michelinman.com/faq-detail.page?categoryName=Tire_Care_and_Maintenance&faqId=1D87B0CBE46A00017D8514B0189514A4

CW

gearhead
08-09-2014, 02:02 PM
I use pinnacle wax on the hot rod, good stuff. Pretty sure I got it from autogeek.
Turtle Wax makes a tire/vinyl spray that claims to have UV protectors. I have used that on tires and dashboards. I need to read the label about ingredients though.

bsmith0404
08-09-2014, 03:22 PM
I finally had a little time to look the data up again. Sorry about my original post using the term weeping, it's actually called blooming. The browning of tires is from the Antiozonant "blooming" out of the tire. The antiozonants are chemicals added to the rubber to keep it from aging/cracking. Over time the antiozonant will bloom out of the tires and the rubber ages and cracks. Using a quality water based tire dressing/cream will slow the process. Petroleum based products actually speed up the process. If you do a google on antiozonant or tire blooming, you can find a lot of information.

TomHaycraft
08-10-2014, 03:14 AM
I finally had a little time to look the data up again. Sorry about my original post using the term weeping, it's actually called blooming. The browning of tires is from the Antiozonant "blooming" out of the tire. The antiozonants are chemicals added to the rubber to keep it from aging/cracking.

Timely post. Early July I replaced my OEM tires, had Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST205/75R15 107B's mounted up. Prior tires I've purchased (for TVs and other cars in the house), I've not seen the "browning". Almost looks like I had run through some real fine sand, but it only stuck to the tires.

Always learn something new on this board. Thanks!

jsmith948
08-10-2014, 04:09 AM
We use Aerospace 303 - if it's safe for the roof, fiberglass, graphics, etc, it won't hurt your tires.

Desert185
08-10-2014, 06:55 AM
I finally had a little time to look the data up again. Sorry about my original post using the term weeping, it's actually called blooming. The browning of tires is from the Antiozonant "blooming" out of the tire. The antiozonants are chemicals added to the rubber to keep it from aging/cracking. Over time the antiozonant will bloom out of the tires and the rubber ages and cracks. Using a quality water based tire dressing/cream will slow the process. Petroleum based products actually speed up the process. If you do a google on antiozonant or tire blooming, you can find a lot of information.

I have only seen that browning when the wife forgets to tell the carwash people to not spray the tires. That sticky crap they use especially makes a mess when driving on a dirt road, which is where we live. No sticky stuff, no browning. Soap and water only when I wash the vehicles. Works good, lasts a long time.

A happy tire family...:cool:

bsmith0404
08-10-2014, 07:40 AM
I have only seen that browning when the wife forgets to tell the carwash people to not spray the tires. That sticky crap they use especially makes a mess when driving on a dirt road, which is where we live. No sticky stuff, no browning. Soap and water only when I wash the vehicles. Works good, lasts a long time.

A happy tire family...:cool:

Some tires are worse than others and they even have different chemicals which can create a different color when blooming (blue/gray). That sticky crap that the dust adheres to and clogs up your tire brush when trying to clean it is nasty, I don't use it. The Michelin's on my truck don't show much blooming, the carlisles on my car trailer don't either. The TowMax on my 5er, brown a couple days after washing. My corvette mainly sits in the garage (actually hasn't been out of the garage in 8 months), it didn't happen over night, but the tires have a brown tint to them and it's not from dust sticking to dressings. I used to only use soap and water as well. I tried different dressings and ended up throwing all of them in the garbage. and just went with the natural look. Now I prefer to apply Blackfire Total Eclipse after washing. The tires look natural, not shiny, and seem to hold up better than when I didn't use it. Just my opinion from my experience.

Desert185
08-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Bridgestone Revos on the truck. Michelins on the wifey's ride. BFG's on the Corvette I hardly used (gave it to the son). No blooming on anything with just soap and water.

Our schedule has changed, so we're going to get the SRX at the end of this month. Probably tow it home with the China skins, and then get Maxxis installed before longer trips with more weight. Fingers crossed.

Rick G
08-10-2014, 08:04 AM
I'm sure glad that I found this forum, I would have never known about so many of these things involving the tires. My truck tires have that brown haze, I thought it was possibly brake dust, apparently not. My utility tractor has the blue/gray look at times and the dry soil that falls off has a blue tint, I hope those babies won't need replaced for awhile. I guess I'll have to go over to my tractor forum and ask how long those type of tires are expected to last. :)

bsmith0404
08-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Bridgestone Revos on the truck. Michelins on the wifey's ride. BFG's on the Corvette I hardly used (gave it to the son). No blooming on anything with just soap and water.

Our schedule has changed, so we're going to get the SRX at the end of this month. Probably tow it home with the China skins, and then get Maxxis installed before longer trips with more weight. Fingers crossed.

Trust me it's not the dressing that causes blooming. Read up on it, all tires do it, some just worse or more noticeable than others. My truck has Michelins, the vette has BFGs, my wife's Camaro has Pirellis, the son's Jeep has Firestone. Have also had Yokohamas', Good Year, Bridgestone, and Dunlops. Every one of them has shown signs of blooming at one point or another. Again, I used just soap and water for years because I hated the dressings that were out there. IMO, there isn't a single dressing available at a local parts store that is worth putting on tires. I've only been using the BF for the past couple years and I'm very happy with the results and how the tires are holding up. If you want to see a good sign of blooming, pull your spare out, it's not dirt turning it brown.

Back to the question from the OP, do not use anything that is petroleum based or has silicones added. Using nothing is better for your tires than that stuff. If you want to use a dressing stick with a water based product.

alexsbuddy
08-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Wow...lots of great info from everyone. I truly appreciate it. Hope this helps others as well.