PDA

View Full Version : Replacing awning fabric

restez
08-08-2014, 12:29 PM
My 2010 Montana Mountaineer was in a hailstorm this spring and I have been repairing the damage. I have a question about the awning fabric. Can I replace that or is it more than a couple people can handle? It is the electric awning, I'm not sure of the brand (Where do you find that?) Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

chuckster57
08-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Two people with the right tools can change the fabric in a couple of hours.

Measure from the center of the arms for the right length, or if possible fully extend the awning. If it's still there, there will be a tag at the front corner that tells you brand, size and sometimes color.

To change the fabric:

Extend the awning and look at the NON motorized end. There should be a hole in the shaft on the tube end to insert a pin. You need a good pin as there is a spring wound about 10-15 turns. Once that is pinned, then unbolt the ends from the arms. The arms can stay extended, but it's easier to take the fabric off the coach with them folded up, Zip ties work good.

Now with the fabric and tube laying against the trailer, you need to look at the awning rail and see which end is open for the bead to come out/go in. One or both ends will have a small self tapping screw holding the bead/awning. Take the screw out and then slide the whole thing off.

Make note of the slots in the tube, and remove the fabric. Then put the new fabric on. Put the whole assembly back on the trailer but DON'T put the little set screw back in.

Let the arms fully extend and reattach the ends to the arms. If you pinned the non motor end, remove the pin. Now you can shift the awning so it's centered. Run the awning in and out. If it doesn't bind or bunch up anywhere then put the set screw back in.
At work 2 of us techs can do this in about 1/2 hr, so figure about 2-3 hours for a first timer.

Some electric awning tube ends have screws or clips that hold the end onto the cap that is attached to the arm. If that's how yours is, that's the best place to undo the tube.